How do you keep wire spools from unwinding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Do you guys have clever tricks or tools to keep wire spools tidy?

I am a MTL vaper and use thin wire that is very springy and loves to unwind. I've used a piece of masking tape to pin the end of the wire to the side of the spool. It works okay but there's got to be a better way.

Google found some discussion among crafters. Some said they use a rubber band instead of tape. Some said they put a spool in a zip lock bag with the end of the wire sticking out. It will unravel but the mess stays inside the zip lock bag.

Is there some sort of dispenser that you put the spool inside? Any other tricks?

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I keep the rubber bands from the heads of broccoli I buy. They're wide enough to cover the wire inside the spool.

IMG_0880.JPG

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I take a drill to the outer portion of the spool somewhat away from the metal itself. On a large spool I usually put four around like 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Thread the wire through the hole at the amount you want and then snip it off.

Do you guys have clever tricks or tools to keep wire spools tidy?

I am a MTL vaper and use thin wire that is very springy and loves to unwind. I've used a piece of masking tape to pin the end of the wire to the side of the spool. It works okay but there's got to be a better way.

Google found some discussion among crafters. Some said they use a rubber band instead of tape. Some said they put a spool in a zip lock bag with the end of the wire sticking out. It will unravel but the mess stays inside the zip lock bag.

Is there some sort of dispenser that you put the spool inside? Any other tricks?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I keep the rubber bands from the heads of broccoli I buy. They're wide enough to cover the wire inside the spool.

View attachment 801157

I like this too if you can find fat one but sadly the rubber decays and makes a horrible mess of the wire if it do.

You know what I use? Ladies' hair ties. Simple. Stretchy. Don't just lay the tie on top of the wire end to trap it. Loop the wire around just once and the spool becomes a great dispenser for tensioned winding.

Good luck. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I use spool tamers I print with my 3d printer. Look just like the beadalon type. I got the elastic at Hobby Lobby in the sewing department. I figure I can make them at about 3 cents each.

Showoff! :)

I've wanted a 3D printer since I saw the first one. I'm waiting on them to eventually be perfected. That's my excuse!

I spent hundreds on my first 200cps dot matrix printer back in the late 1980's and over twice that amount on my first laser HP Laserjet printer a few years later. It wasn't that long before inkjet surpassed those (at least for home use) and turned them into boat anchor material.

From what I see 3D printers have dropped considerably now. Most are under $500 with a lot at the $200 to $300 range. It's time to stop procrastinating. I have a birthday coming up ...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread