trying to build my first mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsterkitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
southwest
hi everyone, i bought the 3.7v box mod kit from madvapes, i screwed up the black wire and i can't seem to find a place to buy some. i went to radio shack, talked to the guy about the project and he seemed pretty knowledgeable, he was showing me the 3AA project boxes they have and so on. i told him what happened and that i needed to buy some wire. he said the 22 ga hookup wire would work (3 spools, red black and green). just now when i opened it up and began to strip the wire, it is copper! can i use this, and if not, where do i get the wire that i need? thanks for helping.

BorisTheSpider

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
Carroll County, Ohio
It seems daft to post another thread with a similar title, so I thought I might jack this one. I'm working on my first mod using a Garrity brand flashlight. I'm pretty sure it's steel. It has a button on the end, none on the side. It took 2 AA's, but I've cut it down (using a tubing cutter, nice and smooth) from the light end so I can still use the end button as a master on/off. I'm using a 14500 battery and a 510 connector. It should turn out pretty nice-looking when it's all done. The problem is that I want a momentary pushbutton on the side, near the atty connector. I've left plenty of space, but the problem is drilling a hole in the side of the tube. It's a little thicker than I expected and I'm not sure what I should be using to do the deed. I would say it's about the thickness of a penny.

I'm using an 18v drill, but I think I need new bits for this. Is there a specific kind I should be using for drilling into steel? Also, is there any trick for getting the drill to go into the tube without kicking all over the place? Finally, are there any tips for a "spacer" to stick inside the tube to hold the battery in place, against the negative spring? Funds are very limited, but I can manage a few bucks for some sort of epoxy or somesuch if that's the recommendation.

I should mention, the tube itself is the negative and I have a washer which perfectly fits on the open end that the 510 connector fits into. Is there a clever way to connect that washer other than pure solder that would look nice and still complete the circuit? Oh, the flashlight is this one:
80278012-450x450-0-0_Garrity+Garrity+M+300G+Flashlight+Stainless+Steel+.jpg

Last edited:

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
You can get cheap tungsten carbide bits that will drill through metal, but the problem I've always had is holding the tube straight so I get a clean hole. That's why I got a drill press and vise, but I justified it because I build furniture and work on cars for a hobby. It'd be tough to justify the expense for a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread