Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You can get 100 mg/ml nic and not refrigerate or freeze it. The only reason for cold storage is to keep large volumes of nic in good condition for years. If you order a smaller bottle which you will likely use up in 6-12 months, there's no need for freezing.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Storing nicotine 4 months is fine away from direct sunlight. If you don't have a fridge you can still store nicotine in the coolest, darkest place you have and it will keep fine for years. Freezer is ideally the best, but if you can't, then store best you can.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There isn't a huge difference that I'm aware of. IDK if one might last longer than the other, but I think both will last long enough to suit your needs, if you are buying smaller quantities that you will use in a reasonable time frame. It's not so much that the nic goes "bad" if I understand it correctly, but more that it may oxidize some, or lose some potency. Possibly not even enough to notice, unless it's room temp for years or something. But you ought to be fine with either.

Good luck, hope you enjoy the process and the juice outcome!

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
WOW that is some nice information. Also tell me is there any difference between VG Based Nicotine and PG Based Nicotine ? I thought to opt for VG Based if i opt for 30mg/ml.

Thanks guys

I keep my 100mg/ml in a fridge downstairs. The only reason, is it it's a cool spot, and any humidity is frozen in the fridge coils (It's actually a vintage pre-1970's small fridge). It's one that my family had, and my Aunt even mentioned she took that to college when she was young... so I know that was in the early 70's, and it was a hand me down back then... It still works, and I don't even think it's had any freon put in. I know it's an unusual one, since I can't even google it, it gets no hits. It's made by a company called Bradford.

Anyways, I usually store it at just slightly above freezing temperature because the refrigerator is also my own beverage fridge. I prefer PG myself, since it doesn't thicken up as much in cold weather like VG. This is where the "You're smoking antifreeze" saying comes into play, since Propylene Glycol was a food grade antifreeze used to de-ice aircraft wings. They wanted something safe instead of etheylene glycol, since ethelyene glycol was highly poisonous and excess "EG" was drank by animals, them thinking it was water. They looked to the food industry for a safe alternative, and the food additive Propylene Glycol was used.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Oh, I also forgot to mention, I use PG based nic for another reason.. it's easier for me to calculate the PG/VG ratio... if my flavors are PG, and my nic is PG, then I know exactly how much PG is in after I mix the nic and flavors. I mix in 100ml bottles, so for me, each ML = %1 flavoring, and with my 100mg/ml, each ML = 1mg/ml. So if my recipe has %10 for flavors, and I want a 6mg/ml juice, I have a total of 16ML to start off with, so that's 16ML of PG. If I want it 50/50, I add enough PG to equal 50ML., then fill the rest with VG.. but usually I just fill with VG.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
It the constantly open and closing the big jug of nic that will cause it to oxidize faster or keeping it either frozen or in a fridge taking out constantly warming then cooling the liquid will cause condensation and ruin the nic. Cut the liter or quart into a 500ml amber bottle then get either 30 or 50ml amber bottles then cut the rest into them, filling as close to the top as you can. Your only handling the nic once to cut it into smaller containers and then opening one smaller container at a time to use. Every time you open a jug, no matter if its small or large your replacing the old air with new air and speeding up the oxidization process turning your nic dark and maybe start to taste off. Storing it in the coolest, darkest possible place, frozen is ideal.
The kind of nic you get is mostly preference, I get 50/50 100mg nic cause I vape 60/40 and my wife vapes 50/50 so its easiest for me to handle. I also make those 50ml 100mg nic bottle into 100ml 48mg nic as I use them, also too its what I'm use to using and if I make a scaling mistake the 48nic is more forgiving than a 100mg mistake.

Arindam Chakraborty

Jul 23, 2017
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll then just go with 30mg/ml with vg base coz that way I can make max 20mg/ml with 60 40 ratio easily with a max flavour mixing option upto 20%. And the nicotine will not get ruined that fast coz I'll be using the base quickly. And as suggested I'll store the nic base in small bottles of 50 ml as thats what i consume in a month

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
What really kills nic in storage is oxygen. Like everything else in chemistry, heat makes it happen faster, is all. Cool dark place, and keep the bottle full. If need be, decant into a plastic bottle so you can squeeze the air our before re-sealing the cap.

Welcome to the board.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If I was in the boonies and wanted to keep my nic supply cool and dark, I'd start with smaller bottles so they wouldn't need to be opened until they would get fully used in a batch. I would then put them in a tupperware type container, dig a hole a couple feet deep in a shady spot and bury it.

For four months, this is overkill, but it's easy and only takes a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread