Sub Ohm vs. Micro Coil

Discussion in 'Sub-Ohm' started by dhughey, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dhughey

dhughey Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    After a lot of trial and error, i have built at 1.7 ohm microcoil with 9/10 wrap .28awg kanthal on an igo-l.

Now, as a precursor, i must say i have always been a proponent of sub ohm coils. I love the vape of a .6ohm igo-l on my mech. I absolutely love the vape of my AGA-T+ dual 1 ohm coil, which is .5 ohms overall. But, i do see the safety issues in new users building this style of coil on any rba/rda.. We constantly see "why is my switch hot" and whatnot. So saying that I will say this. . .

I love the micro coil. (For the micro coil aficionados i understand it's not tight, and there are other issues, but i have been playing with this new thing (to me), so i appreciate any and all advice on how to better it.)
    Edit: this is used on a vamo

1.jpg 2.jpg

As for the comparison to sub ohm coils -
    The flavor is there, it's amazing, right on par with a sub ohm
    The vapor is there, slightly less than a sub ohm. I like it.

I do have two airholes on the cap. I have an igo-l with one air hole drilled out, but i used the one with two air holes drilled out. Overall i prefer the two holes, whether it be sub ohm, or this micro coil at 1.7.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome, as i said i love sub ohm, but i'm playing with this micro coil business and i love it.

I also think that as close as it is to sub ohm, any new person beginning to rebuild, should absolutely try this route before sub ohm.

Safety first!
    -Daniel

2. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Whats wrong with both?

[​IMG]

0.5Ω 25g

[​IMG]

0.8Ω 28g

[​IMG]

1.0Ω 32g DC

Yeah, like you said, your coil isn't very tight. I couldn't tell if you were asking for "how to", or just sharing the joy.

3. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Daniel, Good work bro. Once you get those wraps closer, it'll perform even better. A HUGE misconception that is passed around is that "coils can't touch or you'll get hotspots".

I agree, with coils like the proper micro below, the entire coil becomes one orange, awesome, vapor churning hotspot with the quickness :)
    [​IMG]

I tend to compare sub ohm builds to proper micro in much the same way I do engines:
    Sub ohm = Old school carbureted V8. Boisterous, low tech and inefficient, although once a performance standard.

Proper Micro (I say proper cause I have seen many pix of what people call micro coils, but they are way too large bore and/ or the wraps are not tight) = modern Performance V6. High tech, efficient and surpasses performance / output of larger displacement engines of yore.

In fact, a proper micro coil performs as well as an old school coil of 1/2 the resistance - a 2 ohm micro performs equal or better to a 1 ohm old school.

4. dhughey

dhughey Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member

5. pdib

I like to think of the sub1 as bringing in the bass notes. I love that low end. That said, its just right when it plays into the great flavor and action of the micro.

6. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm going to try a "micro" coil that is spaced out abit like what Dhughey has on the 1st post. I was able to run 0.9 ohm coil, but I don't know how to replicate going that low again on an eVic.

Edit: 30g Kanthal A1, wrapped in 1.5mm pin, with some spacing between each coil, and reading at 1.6 ohm. Less vapor compared to the touching microcoils, but flavor seems to be the same. I'm eating garlic shrimp chips, drinking crown royal maple, and vaping red bull; I am still able to taste the red bull. I have little experience with sub-ohms, so I can't compare it.

7. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

After trying the micro coils I'm still not a fan, they just dried out and ran hot with a slower reaction time.

8. pdib

:p

That's cause you did it wrong.

9. Jeremy Evans

Jeremy Evans Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yup if you dont love it your not doing it right

IMG_20130702_105133_127.jpg
    .5 ohm, dual 26 gauge, SLR supreme.

Now that I have "mastered" the micro-coils, going back to anything else is a waste of time, even running micros out of 30 or 32 gauge is more superior to any reg SLR 2-4 wrap hands down.

10. Visus

Visus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Micro coiling by hand is so difficult.

Olskol v8 to new buggati w16

micro coils have turbos and shiz, lots of cylinders

there is no comparison

11. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    iPhone 5 (micro) vs Brick car phones of the 90's (OS coil) ?

Pdib / JE: well said. I didn't wanna go there but that was what I was thinking too :)

12. Jeremy Evans

I just need to grab me a REO so I can rub elbows with you and Pdib, lol

13. super_X_drifter

Supporting member
    Jeremy, every day vaping without a slick squeezebox like a REO grand is a day that much more complicated and less enjoyable than it can be bro. If I had another spare, I'd shoot it to you but I'm down to only 3 right now.

Not only is a REO insanely practical, bottom fed RBAs are about as simple as they get to build, experiment and achieve awesome vape sessions. I look forward to when you, Jasl90 and Jerms join us on the dark side. :)

14. super_X_drifter

Supporting member
    If I could suggest just get two - then you can mix and match em like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jeremy Evans

I'm gonna work on one at first, but I think I will end up with a grand and a mini before it is all said and done

16. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

There really isn't much to go wrong, rocket science it ain't.

17. pdib

Dude, I totally blame my stupid google-pad-thingy for that! That is NOT what I typed at all! (lying,lying)

I know for a fact that you, stO, are a master coil builder. (lying about the "fact" part, but admit that its probably the case)

Are you using silica? I found that it can't keep up. The fluff off a q-tip does great, if you just wanna do a quick swap-n-see.

18. Amish3006

Amish3006 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I spent the day with this little guy and I have to say I'm impressed. I'll probably keep this one till I get bored.

IMG_20130702_205846_361.jpg IMG_20130702_205834_859.jpg

19. Krazirob

Krazirob Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

micro coils are great especially if you wanna stay above 1 ohm......i do micro coils on my pro tank rebuilds and the vapor and flavor production surpasses any other type of coil. Micro coils should be the only way to make a coil in my honest opinion

20. JulesXsmokr

JulesXsmokr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    bad comparison ---:D
    os coil 28g. w/ nano wrap and cotton is like a Challenger w/ a HEMI and a supercharger.. Old school still takes you there..in first place!

: vamo, evic
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.