subtank mini crackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

metathirteen

Feb 13, 2014
Florida
i bought a subtank mini and im having an issue. ive already read online that a lot of people r having problems with spitting, i had it but got through it by changing out the cotton. i never used an rba before, i rebuilt my t3s attys but those were with silica, so cotton is a whole new thing to me. with the kanger occ coils, it was so smooth and overall awesome to vape. but then i tried the rba cause im kinda freaked out about vaping at 0.5 and lower, so i built a 0.88 coil and its working no problem. only problem im having is with the cotton. at 1st i got crazy popping and it was spitting in my mouth, i changed out the cotton (this is my 2nd time ever working with cotton now) the popping stopped but now it crackles. i know new attys usually crackle till u break them in but the next day it got worse. so again i changed out the cotton now putting in more cotton. i must of changed it out 4 times today trying to troubleshoot this. the cotton it comes with is so frail!! i cant roll the end because it just falls apart, i can barely touch it. i dont think im getting enough cotton in the coil, the rest of the rba i can just take tiny pieces and tuck them in no problem, but as far as threading the cotton through, its nearly impossible. ive tried different widths, even some smaller than the coil but as soon as i pull from the other end to pull it through that piece just breaks off... i have 1 sheet of cotton left (started with 3), how do i go about threading it through, or decreasing this crackle its making?

kanger subtank mini, joyetech ego one, 2mm build with 26g kanthal at 0.88

metathirteen

Feb 13, 2014
Florida
nevermind. issue resolved. driven crazy by the crackle i gave it another shot. literally had a light bulb above my head when i thought of this. i've watched a good amount of coil build videos and never have i heard of anyone saying to make sure u cut the cotton in the same direction as the fibers. i took my last sheet and cut it the same way the fibers were going and it went through no problem. even took a small piece from the last sheet that fell apart and tried to pull it apart going with the fibers, i had to pull pretty freakin hard and it didnt rip. so i tried a strip about 4-5mm wide and pulled it through, so far very minimal crackling, no dry hits, no problems with air flow. this was quite a learning experience. hope this helps out any other newbies out there.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
nevermind. issue resolved. driven crazy by the crackle i gave it another shot. literally had a light bulb above my head when i thought of this. i've watched a good amount of coil build videos and never have i heard of anyone saying to make sure u cut the cotton in the same direction as the fibers. i took my last sheet and cut it the same way the fibers were going and it went through no problem. even took a small piece from the last sheet that fell apart and tried to pull it apart going with the fibers, i had to pull pretty freakin hard and it didnt rip. so i tried a strip about 4-5mm wide and pulled it through, so far very minimal crackling, no dry hits, no problems with air flow. this was quite a learning experience. hope this helps out any other newbies out there.
I'm sure it will help someone if they see it! I think it was my first build using Japanese cotton I did the same thing, cut it against the grain and it fell apart as I pulled it through the coil haha. When you learn the hard way you never forget :D

Reactions: MrBobVapor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread