Status
Not open for further replies.

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I had the same issue when I started vaping. The morning cigarette was the one I couldn't get over. So, I went ahead and had It. Just don't beat yourself up about it. You have made huge steps in quitting smoking and soon enough you will find that you just don't want that morning cigarette anymore.

Try keeping your mod by the bed and vape until satisfied.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Hmmm for that I dont have much in the way of advice. I just preferred vaping to a cigarette when I finally quit(about a week after buying my first setup). Are you happy with the nic content you are using? Your tank? Your mod? If you are getting a satisfying enough vape to nullify the craving for a cigarette then a bit of tweaking might be appropriate.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I used a cheap clearo/tank. $5. Then I kept the next highest nicotine in it. When the "itch" needed scratching and the regular vape just didn't feel like it was cutting it I would take a hit from the higher nic vape and then go back to the regular vape. It usually took 3 days to a week to get adjusted to the lower or regular nic. I say usually because I used this same technique to lower my nicotine down to the under 3 I now enjoy.

You could also try a tobacco flavor.

I was also told..."when it hits, just puff the he** out of your vape". Good luck.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Yelp my cig with my morning coffee and eating was a tough one. Here is what i found though..after you reduce your smoking to a cig in the morning and maybe one or two during the day...they start to taste real bad after a couple of weeks. I even noticed they started putting off a scent that smelled like matches not to mention other offensive smells i never noticed before. The more you reduce your cigs on a daily basis the more noticeable and offensive they become...especially in the mornings!!

Something else that helped me was to start looking at how many cigs i DID NOT pick up throughout the day because i vaped instead. Take it one cig at a time because for every cig you don't put in your lungs...that is one less cig destroying your lungs. Pat yourself on the back because each one is a little victory that adds up throughout the day into one big victory. For me if i focused only on quitting then it felt overwhelming because of my weak areas in the morning or after eating..but when i broke it down into smaller victories throughout the day the main victory of quitting became more empowered and reachable.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
IMO, setting a quit date without backups for your gear is setting yourself up for failure. Get a backup rig. Put a different flavor with higher nic (and maybe even some WTA) in it. In the meanwhile celebrate all the cigs you're not smoking because you're vaping instead of obsessing about the few you're still smoking. Oh, and the money you're not spending on cigs? Put it in a dedicated fund towards your backups. You're eventually going to need more than one.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
I found that if you just do it it gets easier every morning. It's not as hard as you think. Just keep focused on your goal. And don't beat yourself up if you slip. It's no big deal. Eventually you won't even be think of cigs except for the fact of how you smoked those nasty things for so long! Good luck!

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Cagirl94, you're doing great! Give yourself a big hug and go buy yourself a present! Yup, you know what to buy: another setup, and juice that you love :). Morning was hard for me, as well. I found a banana nut bread juice that I liked a lot, and that said "morning" to me. Now my morning vape is cinnamon danish - it's flavor profile just works. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
IMO, setting a quit date without backups for your gear is setting yourself up for failure. Get a backup rig. Put a different flavor with higher nic (and maybe even some WTA) in it. In the meanwhile celebrate all the cigs you're not smoking because you're vaping instead of obsessing about the few you're still smoking. Oh, and the money you're not spending on cigs? Put it in a dedicated fund towards your backups. You're eventually going to need more than one.
^^^^ This.
I am approaching my one year anniversary 100% smoke free. During that time I never went a single minute without a working mod. Only because I have multiple backups, and I thought through what I needed in terms of expected reliability vs depth of backup. My 100% vape up-time and my 100% smoke free year are highly correlated.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
People are different, but I doubt a "quit date" would have worked for me. Now I'm approaching 600 days smoke-free, but I've never actually quit in the sense that I've forbidden myself from ever having another cigarette. There's a part of me that would rebel against that and continue to smoke just to spite the other part that had forbidden it. Knowing this, I didn't set out to quit, just to see how much of my 2PAD habit I could replace. Within a week (and shortly after getting better gear and juice than I started with) it turned out that I had replaced ALL of it. For me, the hardest time not to light one up was mid-morning, after I'd been up and drinking coffee for a while, and the arrival of some WTA juice fixed that.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Even when I had just my startup kit(evod) I had 2 batts and 2 tanks. I have NEVER been lower than that as a minimum.
LOL, I think I went back to the vape shop 3 times the first week, every time buying more tanks and more batteries (these were 650mAh eGo batts). By the end of the week I had a half dozen of each. I was truly obsessed with the idea of redundancy. NASA would have been proud of me :)

Now I have 4 mods, including 2 (very reliable) Provaris. Three Subtank Minis, and 3 Troll Drippers. That is just my front line vaping gear. Not counting old stuff in retirement like a pile of Nautilus tanks and all the old eGo batts and EVOD tanks.

I get very little shinyitis. That is just obsession over backup, and a little desire for more vape, more flavor, more power (but not more than 50W or less than 0.5 ohm)

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Not me....I get shinyitis! I also have nothing but mechs for mods and 3 RDAs and I DIY my liquids so that Im fully prepared for vapocalypse! Now I just buy what I want and if it doesnt function like I want it to, thats ok, I have my sets that I love. LOL

I do want at least one 100w or higher mod. I like the idea of having the capabilities of making crazy coil builds with tons of surface area but they require alot more wattage than a mech can provide at .5 ohms.

Reactions: Cagirl94

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Not me....I get shinyitis! I also have nothing but mechs for mods and 3 RDAs and I DIY my liquids so that Im fully prepared for vapocalypse! Now I just buy what I want and if it doesnt function like I want it to, thats ok, I have my sets that I love. LOL

I do want at least one 100w or higher mod. I like the idea of having the capabilities of making crazy coil builds with tons of surface area but they require alot more wattage than a mech can provide at .5 ohms.
Ahhhh... you're one of those guys that doesn't believe in fuses :)

Jk, as long as you know what you are doing, which I think you do. The good thing about shinyitis is that it does prepare for vapocalypse, by accident if not design. I DIY myself, and have a 10 year supply of nic in the freezer (easy at 3mg or less). All the other DIY ingredients should be pretty vapocalypse proof. Part of the solution, for me at least, is finding cheap drippers I like because I believe in KISS and you can't get more simple and reliable than a dripper. I bought 2 Trolls, on sale, at $16 each. Some day I might buy a half dozen at that price, or something I like better, and just put them away. For mods, it might not be a bad idea to buy a pile of those mechs because they will still work when when Woody Allen fires up that VW bug a hundred years from now, but I'm hung over that fuse thing :)

Last edited:

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
Having a backup is a good idea. Also, having a higher nic level on hand is good as well. Until then, you can try this. Before you go to bed, make sure you put the cigs in another room. Or better yet, outside like on the porch or in your car. Keep your device at your bedside. It will make it much easier to choose it, instead of the analogs, in the morning. I found it's a lot harder to avoid cig cravings, after you've had the first one of the day. In my experience, the time will get longer and longer, til you just don't need one anymore.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Ahhhh... you're one of those guys that doesn't believe in fuses :)

Jk, as long as you know what you are doing, which I think you do. The good thing about shinyitis is that it does prepare for vapocalypse, by accident if not design. I DIY myself, and have a 10 year supply of nic in the freezer (easy at 3mg or less). All the other DIY ingredients should be pretty vapocalypse proof. Part of the solution, for me at least, is finding cheap drippers I like because I believe in KISS and you can't get more simple and reliable than a dripper. I bought 2 Trolls, on sale, at $16 each. Some day I might buy a half dozen at that price, or something I like better, and just put them away. For mods, it might not be a bad idea to buy a pile of those mechs because they will still work when when Woody Allen fires up that VW bug a hundred years from now, but I'm hung over that fuse thing :)

Ohhh man i wish i could get a troll at that price id have 5 by now. I am in the market for some regulated mods, but i do love my mechs. Sure they can be limited but i like the challenge of building for the setup not setup for the build.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Having a backup is a good idea. Also, having a higher nic level on hand is good as well. Until then, you can try this. Before you go to bed, make sure you put the cigs in another room. Or better yet, outside like on the porch or in your car. Keep your device at your bedside. It will make it much easier to choose it, instead of the analogs, in the morning. I found it's a lot harder to avoid cig cravings, after you've had the first one of the day. In my experience, the time will get longer and longer, til you just don't need one anymore.
There is a sad fact here.... as long as you continue to smoke, even one a day, or even one a week, or maybe even one a month, you *will* have cig cravings. The only way to avoid cig cravings is to quit absolutely. I am truly cig craving free, after almost a year (took 3-6 months I think to well quash the cravings ?).

So your decision comes down to something like this...

You will go through a certain amount of pain to quit absolutely. But that pain (the cravings) will steadily diminish over time.

You will go through a certain amount of pain, every single single day for the rest of your life, craving cigs, if you continue to smoke even very occasionally (and I mean one a week for example). You cannot eliminate cig cravings by continuing to smoke, no matter how little you smoke. You can only defer it for an hour, a day, or whatever your body and brain allows.

This is what I learned, and a little bit of the thought process I went through last summer when I decided to never take another puff again.

I know some people are able to taper down slowly and steadily. I know for a fact I can't do that. YMMV on that. However you can best get to zero is something you have to figure out. But I think it is an Ultimate Truth that, if you have cig cravings, you cannot kill those cig cravings by smoking. At all. You can only defer and perpetuate them. How to kill cravings and how best to quit are really two very different subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread