TC for me, and not going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Currently "toodle puffing" on a KFv5+Wismec TC100. 30AWG NiFe flatwire build (0.38ohms) driven by 20W @ 350F. (Wicked by Sally's rayon)

I'm a lazy vapor - this build will last months before it needs to be dry burned and rewicked.

I suspect there are a lot of "toodle puffers" who use TC for the puffing.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Currently "toodle puffing" on a KFv5+Wismec TC100. 30AWG NiFe flatwire build (0.38ohms) driven by 20W @ 350F. (Wicked by Sally's rayon)

I'm a lazy vapor - this build will last months before it needs to be dry burned and rewicked.

I suspect there are a lot of "toodle puffers" who use TC for the puffing.
    On my rda I find the coil and wick last as long as I want them to but the vape quality I prefer comes from rewicking 2-3 times a week and rebuilding every 2 weeks. (Lately I'm starting to think that reuilding once a week would be worth the extra effort.) I don't know why there is a dfference between a brand new coil and one that's 2 weeks old but there is. (I use liquid with only 1% flavoring. Gunking is trivial to none. The coil turns black but little if any build up. The wick gets noticbly brown after a few days which doesn't interfere with flow of liquid but replacing it frequently improves taste and texture. Why I don't know.)

Reactions: Bonskibon

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    On my rda I find the coil and wick last as long as I want them to but the vape quality I prefer comes from rewicking 2-3 times a week and rebuilding every 2 weeks. (Lately I'm starting to think that reuilding once a week would be worth the extra effort.) I don't know why there is a dfference between a brand new coil and one that's 2 weeks old but there is. (I use liquid with only 1% flavoring. Gunking is trivial to none. The coil turns black but little if any build up. The wick gets noticbly brown after a few days which doesn't interfere with flow of liquid but replacing it frequently improves taste and texture. Why I don't know.)

I vape ether unflavored or 0.5-1.0ml of flavor per 30ml bottle. My coils take months to gunk up. Given that I just dryburn and rewick a few times a year, the giant box of Rayon and a few spools of wire will last me a few lifetimes. ;)

While I do own a few squonkers I'm far to lazy to mess with an RDA. (and drip)

I'm sure there are others that are far more lazy than I.

Reactions: Bonskibon

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2015
    There's nothing quite as nice as a new coil build. I usually change mine out after a couple days (3 to 4). I probably can go longer with it and have, but it's really not a big deal for me to put in a fresh one in. I keep a couple RBAs built and ready to go in my Toptank. I rewick every other day, or every day depending on my juice. My builds are nothing fancy and only use about 5 inches of wire and have plenty of that in stock.

Reactions: Eskie

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2015
    I must really be missing out on something by using pre made coils.
    For me it was cost. I have some very sweet ADVs that eat through my coils. I still like, and use pre made coils and use them for my juices that don't gunk them as fast. If not for the cost, I probably wouldn't have even ventured into making my own.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Cost is a factor, but more importantly independence. I don't have to worry about packs of different coils for different tanks or who has what in stock. It also eliminates the variability with factory coils. And it certainly eliminates paying for a dud coil with no recourse.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Co$t, availability & I tailor my build to the quality vape I want

I use sweet gunky juice.
    15ml/day through Crown coils = 2coils/week ($4/week) if I scrape them at refill
    I had about 120 Crown coils stocked up. $240 for just over a year.

15ml-20ml/day building with SS & Sally's rayon will cost less than $10/year
    Now let's talk about DIY juice :evil: 18ml/day costs me about $2.50/week. You?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Here's what independence looks like to me

From late 2015, I added a couple of liters to that

12402200_1723292281234928_8112432092021366045_o.jpg

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Is that all nicotine or your DIY juice.
    That's about 9.5L of 100mg/ml
    I added a liter of higher strength and another liter of 100

I have about 1 million mg's of nicotine.
    We'll quit when/if we want, not when someone tells us to.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    I must really be missing out on something by using pre made coils.. Every time I read you guys building coils, I never understood it.. but nothing is quite satisfying me for throat hit, even with high nic.

Do kayfuns and digiflavour sirens have better throat hit?

You mean that you're just using factory coils?

I rebuild those (see in my blog for Atlantis family, I have a link to the thread where I show how to rebuild them), and the rebuilds are 10x better than the factory ones.

But that said, I rebuild them for the tanks "on the go" where building a deck isn't feasible.

But more and more, I've been switching to RTAs, and the cartridge coil tanks have been sitting on my desk for quite a while, and same with my wife and daughter's tanks that since I've got them some RTAs (which of course, I'm the one that does the building for them), they barely ever touch these old tanks now.

So all this to say: yes, absolutely, between the factory coils/cartridge tanks and RTAs, it's a huge difference, a "next" level.

The learning curve is actually not that bad, but may consider it "scary" at first.

If you want more info, check my blog, I've done some instructions/guides for coils and wicking.

Reactions: Vesh

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Funny, nearly 2yrs ago after ~3mos vaping eGo's and Vmax's with Nautilus tanks I took a very sharp turn and never looked back.

I purchased a SXminiM with an Atlantis, STM and Lemo2. I also added some very over priced Ni200 heads for the Atlantis and Nautilus tanks and 3 types of Ni200 wire and cotton.
    34767095226_6d5249dabe_z.jpg

Funny, I still use the SXminiM and Lemo2 tank(s). As seen in the background even the Vmax-V5 still gets used.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    You won't brick the tablet (fingers and toes crossed).

ArcticFox isn't a installed program, its a standalone app that just runs when you click it so you shouldn't be worried about the comp or tablet using AF. I had installed, reverted the stock firmwares many times(waiting to brick it) on my IStick100 trying to get AF to read my hitter before I discovered you need a .bin file first. Last time I used firmware was ages ago with my evic(forgot the name of the program) then bricked my evic so I was mighty leary about using AF.

Co$t, availability & I tailor my build to the quality vape I want
    At the beginning it was the cost for 2 of us to find reliable setups and vape, everything had to be multiple and the same. Waiting for stuff to show up before you ran out was my main concern, juice was the most anxious purchases since I bought a lot through US vendors, well back a few years ago customs was more slack with seizures but it still existed but still a real threat.
    I can't count on one hand how many stock coils I've used in my 4 years, lucky for me it was my 2nd CE4 clearo head that was bad leading me to begin to research, revamping then rebuilding.
    There is no better feeling that being a totally self sufficient vaper. 4 liters of nic in the freezer, at least a liter of HS tobac concentrates in the freezer, 4 gallons of PG and VG base in the cold room, plenty of spools of wire and my box of rayon. No more scrambling around for supplies, sitting back and vaping like Mowgli said...tailored and the quality I want....nothing less.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2016
    I must really be missing out on something by using pre made coils.. Every time I read you guys building coils, I never understood it.. but nothing is quite satisfying me for throat hit, even with high nic.

Do kayfuns and digiflavour sirens have better throat hit?
    Building issues aside, your "throat hit" question is more affected by the amount of pg in your juice. Higher pg equates to higher throat hit. I vape 70% vg because high pg bothers me. It you want a higher throat hit consider changing your juice. I used to vape more 50/50 and got more throat hit but in my case it caused dehydration as pg will suck the water out of you. It affects some people more than others.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    I get my wire and cotton from an eBay seller called 0Ship who has good prices and deals you can't beat. Never had a problem with them so far.
    Thanks, i don't have an Ebay account and i prefer not to open one. If there are no other options available at a reasonable price, i will look into this,

Reactions: SteveS45
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread