Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
My parents have passed and my wife's parents are Canadian (thanksgiving in October) so it will just be my wife, son and I at thanksgiving this year. We're still gonna do it all up, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, squash, broccoli w/ cheese sauce and lets not forget the PUMPKIN PIE!

Love Broccoli and cheese!!!! Enjoy!!!!

firerat

Verified Member
Nov 13, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Well my Thanksgiving starts at around 7 AM at my moms house. My wife and I help her with making Thanksgiving Lunch (I'll explain).

We eat around 1 PM (hence lunch) and my wife and I leave to go to her parents house and start over again. Luckily we all live within 5 miles of each other.

I hate bouncing to 2 places, but my mom won't invite my in-laws to her house and feels weird bringing our small clan (there's 6 of us) to theirs. I don't know why. My in-laws are the most humble rich people I ever met and they try everything they can to accommodate my family. My in-laws are very wealthy and my mom feels embarrassed by her small townhouse. Plus, my wife has a huge family and they generally have 30-40 people over each year.

We don;t have kids yet, but once we do, this will stop. Our house is a bit small but we can make it work.

Oh, generally we all eat "normal" Turkey day stuff. We occasionally will deep fry a turkey. Sometimes a ham makes it's way in there. A lot of my homebrew beer gets consumed.

At least this is the only holiday like this. My family is Catholic and my wife is Jewish. Christmas and Chanukah are a breeze!!

Happy Holi-daze!!

Last edited:

sungbd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Don't tell my kids....lol that sounds like a blast!!! I have seen on the news you guys are getting nasty snow!!!!

It is a total disaster right now in here (Buffalo, NY). 5 feet + snow... ugghhhhh...
All the schools and 112 miles of NY thruway are closed.

AP956328495462-1-jpg.jpg

Stay warm!!!

Jomoke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Connecticut
My oldest sister always has Thanksgiving at her house. Fortunately, most of my family live within 15 minutes of each other - except for my son who lives 45 minutes away and usually can't join us for Thanksgiving due to work (boo hoo!!). My sister cooks the turkey and her husband makes stuffing. The rest of us make side dishes and dessert. I made a sweet potato casserole for the first time about ten years ago and it has now become a tradition for me to make. It is not an option!! I always make a dessert - sometimes a pumpkin cheesecake but this year I'm making a gingerbread and pumpkin trifle. Last year I made pumpkin martini's - they were really good!! It's a great day eating and having a few drinks by the fireplace.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
My mom has become more and more antisocial with each passing year and has never really liked turkey and in the past we have had to coax her to our house for Thanksgiving dinner. This year we just threw in the towel and are making plans to have Chinese food with her this weekend or early next week. My father-in-law usually comes down from the Bay Area to have Thanksgiving with us. He'll be doing that this year, as well--so we will have one member of the extended family. My wife, feeling ambitious, also invited some friends to join us: so we should have a total of 10 people. Along with turkey, some of the standards for us include carrots, yams, deviled eggs, and homemade pumpkin cheesecake.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
Well my Thanksgiving starts at around 7 AM at my moms house. My wife and I help her with making Thanksgiving Lunch (I'll explain).

We eat around 1 PM (hence lunch) and my wife and I leave to go to her parents house and start over again. Luckily we all live within 5 miles of each other.

I hate bouncing to 2 places, but my mom won't invite my in-laws to her house and feels weird bringing our small clan (there's 6 of us) to theirs. I don't know why. My in-laws are the most humble rich people I ever met and they try everything they can to accommodate my family. My in-laws are very wealthy and my mom feels embarrassed by her small townhouse. Plus, my wife has a huge family and they generally have 30-40 people over each year.

We don;t have kids yet, but once we do, this will stop. Our house is a bit small but we can make it work.

Oh, generally we all eat "normal" Turkey day stuff. We occasionally will deep fry a turkey. Sometimes a ham makes it's way in there. A lot of my homebrew beer gets consumed.

At least this is the only holiday like this. My family is Catholic and my wife is Jewish. Christmas and Chanukah are a breeze!!

Happy Holi-daze!!

Growing up - every holiday was spent at Grandma's no matter what, everyone met over there by 10am except for my aunt who conveniently missed preparation. We ate between 12 - 1 and then everyone would go down to the family room with the fire going and tell stories. I really miss those times. My grandmother was the spoke of our family wheel. She passed a few years back from cancer since then its not the same but my sister has tried picking up that part of tradition.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
It's kinda like most places - has good and bad. I think there's more good though.
Here's a couple pics of beaches that are fairly close to me.

25556445.jpg

yt0001_znp_hotel_A.jpg

And a place that I've done some fishing

pht-k98-11-1.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! Is the weather always beach weather? How is the fishing anything cool. I love fishing but its always lake fishing.

Well, I'm working the morning of Thanksgiving, so I won't be cooking. (Or at least that's my excuse for still not cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner on my own despite living "on my own" for the last 3 years.) But, apparently my girlfriend's mom is planning on me participating in their Thanksgiving this year, but since we've been together just under a year I'm not sure what to expect. M.I.L. burns her pancakes every time she offers to make them for us so my hopes aren't very high. Lol.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Absolutely beautiful!!!!! Is the weather always beach weather? How is the fishing anything cool. I love fishing but its always lake fishing.

Today was beach weather but the water was probably a bit cool. I grew up fishing on lakes and still do it when I'm back there but I think I prefer the taste of ocean fish. We catch all kinds of different stuff - most are good but some we throw back as they ain't so good. And there's a few that you have be careful with when handling them - one jab of a fin can mess you up.

Last edited:

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
Oh what a question. Usually thanksgiving is a great holiday for me and my family. We usually all get together at my cousins house and it's great. So many people too like 30 of us! Not this year though.... I haven't been getting along with my mom since August. So we were invited but sadly if I don't have to spend a holiday around her I'm not going to. It may sound silly and childish but if you knew my mom you'd understand. So this year it'll be me and my fiancee and our 2 kids - I'll cook for the first time ever! When his mom gets out of work at 3:30 pm she'll join us and we'll have a nice quaint Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the giveaway!

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
My oldest sister always has Thanksgiving at her house. Fortunately, most of my family live within 15 minutes of each other - except for my son who lives 45 minutes away and usually can't join us for Thanksgiving due to work (boo hoo!!). My sister cooks the turkey and her husband makes stuffing. The rest of us make side dishes and dessert. I made a sweet potato casserole for the first time about ten years ago and it has now become a tradition for me to make. It is not an option!! I always make a dessert - sometimes a pumpkin cheesecake but this year I'm making a gingerbread and pumpkin trifle. Last year I made pumpkin martini's - they were really good!! It's a great day eating and having a few drinks by the fireplace.

That sounds incredible. I love cheesecake but never tried pumpkin because I am not a fan of pumpkin pie. I hear it is different enough to give it a try.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
Oh what a question. Usually thanksgiving is a great holiday for me and my family. We usually all get together at my cousins house and it's great. So many people too like 30 of us! Not this year though.... I haven't been getting along with my mom since August. So we were invited but sadly if I don't have to spend a holiday around her I'm not going to. It may sound silly and childish but if you knew my mom you'd understand. So this year it'll be me and my fiancee and our 2 kids - I'll cook for the first time ever! When his mom gets out of work at 3:30 pm she'll join us and we'll have a nice quaint Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the giveaway!

Sorry to hear that....Having issues with the family around the holidays is hard but sometimes helps people to be in the mood to resolve things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread