Throat Hit issue with Joyetech E-roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontocurious

Jan 2, 2015
toronto
Hi All,

I've had my e-roll for about 7-8 months but until very recently it was barely used. Now I have totally quit analogs and have been using it more heavily. I've noticed recently that the throat hit has been intermittent at best, which is unfortunate as the TH is really the biggest help for me in quitting analogs.

I use Halo "Tribeca" juice which is really light coloured (I had read to avoid using dark e-juices with the e-roll). I also just replaced both e-rolls atomizer heads. I'm seriously wondering if the batteries are just dying and need to be replaced? I notice right after a charge I can get a good few TH's before it just kinda stops. It still lights up, but the vape produced is minimal.

Would love to know how to go about dealing with this.

Thanks!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Have you wiped the end of the battery where your atomizer connects to it out well with a paper towel? Sometimes black gunk can build up and cause these issues. You could also dip a qtip in some rubbing alcohol to clean the threads. Just be sure that it is dry before using.

Also, if you do need or want another, this deal is almost insane for $5 They do charge $6 to ship but still.

http://www.dfwvapor.com/joyetech-logo-eroll-starter-kit.html

Last edited:

Bjorhyn

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Colorado
Did you recently start using that juice?
Halo unfortunately doesn't share their PG/VG ratios with the public. High PG content is notorious for better throat hits.
In addition to cleaning the contacts/threads, it might be worth a few bucks to pick up a tobacco (Tribeca is tobacco, eh?) flavored juice with 80% or so PG, and see if that makes a difference.
Higher nic content also helps, but I still suggest pg first.

You could also get a cheap volt meter to measure your battery output, but if you have more batteries on the way, I don't see the point.

torontocurious

Jan 2, 2015
toronto
Did you recently start using that juice?
Halo unfortunately doesn't share their PG/VG ratios with the public. High PG content is notorious for better throat hits.
In addition to cleaning the contacts/threads, it might be worth a few bucks to pick up a tobacco (Tribeca is tobacco, eh?) flavored juice with 80% or so PG, and see if that makes a difference.
Higher nic content also helps, but I still suggest pg first.

You could also get a cheap volt meter to measure your battery output, but if you have more batteries on the way, I don't see the point.

No, I have had the Tribeca for about 4 months. I was using it on and off while still smoking analogs, and then exclusively just the Tribeca for the last few weeks.

I do have a bunch of other e-juices, but the Tribeca is the only one I have ever enjoyed using. Finding a juice that worked for me was a big barrier to enjoying the e-cig to begin with.

Thanks for the suggestions. After cleaning out the battery/threads section, it seems to be working the way it was before. I'll be more mindful to keep it clean, and I will compare when I receive my new e-roll kits.

Last edited:

Bjorhyn

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Colorado
No, I have had the Tribeca for about 4 months. I was using it on and off while still smoking analogs, and then exclusively just the Tribeca for the last few weeks.

I do have a bunch of other e-juices, but the Tribeca is the only one I have ever enjoyed using. Finding a juice that worked for me was a big barrier to enjoying the e-cig to begin with.

Thanks for the suggestions. After cleaning out the battery/threads section, it seems to be working the way it was before. I'll be more mindful to keep it clean, and I will compare when I receive my new e-roll kits.

Awesome! Glad it's at least close to back to normal.

Happy vaping!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

Good deal. I am glad that it worked for you. I try to wipe down the threads on my tank and my battery each time that I refill with liquid.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There aren't any threads in an eRoll; it's proprietary, and just all fits together.

What you described is exactly why I grew dissatisfied with the eRoll after a month or so; the first hit or two would be great, but then just blah. I was told that because it's an unregulated device, you get a good few hits when the battery is freshly charged, but the charge voltage goes down steadily with each hit, reducing the vape quality. Same as with any non-variable ego-type or a mech. The best way around it is to get a variable voltage and/or wattage mod; you set the voltage or wattage which produces the vape you like best, and it stays at that level till it's time to recharge.

Andria

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
There is still the part of the battery that they atty locks into and it does need to be wiped out. I feel sure that it gets the build up whether there are threads there or not. If you never cleaned them, that may have been your problem as well.

http://www.joyetech.com/product/details.php?gno=125

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I guess that's possible, but it wouldn't explain why it acted that way when it was brand spanking new -- it did that even when I first got it. It took me a while to figure out that it wasn't that I was doing something wrong, but just the nature of the device -- it's not regulated, so it loses charge with every hit. After 2-3 hits, there's no TH. I've never cared particularly about amount of vapor, but I definitely need TH, and that seems to be the first thing you lose as the charge declines. That's what put me onto regulated/variable type devices.

Andria

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
My SO and I had similar devices when we made the leap (from a pack a day full strength). At that point we had to get a bit deeper into the pool so to speak. We did the following to help drop the analogs:
-higher nic content (we made our own juice so we could start at around the 33mg point)
-higher pg content (as above)
-regulated mods so the power could be dialed in (VW mode for us)
-robust atomizers
-spares! We carried an extra mod and atty as well as some juice in a kit that help in the event of a failure

We were spending $300 a month on smokes and the first few months off of them saw a similar investment in vape gear, but it worked. Good luck and congratulations on making the switch.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
This is typically an indication that the juice is not ideal for the eroll.

eRolls hate sugary ejuice as well. When using the eRoll I DIY some very light colored basic juice (non dessert type, usually just some peppermint or something light) with higher PG than I usually use, and a little higher nic. Dark juices that are high VG are going to give your atties a harder time in the eRoll.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
This is typically an indication that the juice is not ideal for the eroll.

eRolls hate sugary ejuice as well. When using the eRoll I DIY some very light colored basic juice (non dessert type, usually just some peppermint or something light) with higher PG than I usually use, and a little higher nic. Dark juices that are high VG are going to give your atties a harder time in the eRoll.

Yeah, I hate sugary liquids as much as my eroll does. I usually vape pretty close to unflavored 100% PG, a little menthol and have very few problems with the heads. I did buy some WTA and some sale liquids over the holidays. Pretty much over those now.
Covering the hole just clears any liquid that may have found it's way into the connector. I think it happens when the cone gets disengaged.
I have 4 in rotation. Today my black one stuck on. I popped the head and shook it out. There must have been a ml of liquid that came out of it! The seal on that head may be bad. I'm pretty rough on them though. They take it. Love em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread