To frequent international travellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewalkr

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Sauga
Hi;

I have been doing some research in regards to taking vaping equipment in your bag while travelling through Dubai.

First and foremost; vaping is illegal in Dubai. It is also a hot spot for connecting flights.

That being said; I read mixed reviews, talks and guides relevant to " taking the vaping gear and supplies in your bag but not vaping it while you are at Dubai airport."

Some say it gets confiscated, others say nothing happens.

So here is the obvious question. Would you take the vape gear and supplies in your bag/carry on and take it through the country where it is illegal even though you have no intension of vaping while staying there?

Or would you suggest i put all of my vaping equipment in the check in luggage.

I have a four hours worth of stay there.

Note: It is for my personal use.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Lol I wouldn't risk taking anything you are fond of
Take a cheap ego and tank to get u thru

This.
Too much of a risk to pack the good stuff and if they do confiscate it, you're not out much. Then you can just pick up some new cheapies as soon as you're back in a country that allows vaping.

Kriengsak Wangdulyakiti

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2015
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2014/08/travelling-ecigarettes.html

Update: Dubai Airport Security Warning

Please note that as of July 2015 three people have told us that their e-cigarettes have been confiscated by airport security. This has included during transit and during departure

Neil Williams ·
Country Manager at Taylors International Services
Travelled through Dubai end of July which I do every three months, a 30 minute stand off started between myself and security at cabin baggae check, end result was they let me take the battery but not the tank, luckily I had a cheapo tank, as I argued I've been coming through for years with it and they have no new signage or I would have checked it in. They stated supervisors had told them in the middle of July to start this. I returned to Dubai where my ecig was in the hold luggage which was searched on the way into Dubai as they thought it was a laser pointer, once they seen it was an e-cig they said OK and let me go on my way with it. However the purchase of ciggarettes and smoknig rooms are readily available in the terminal!

Smoker's Angels
Hi Rodolfo,
Unfortunatly, according to the gov.uk website "Electronic cigarettes are illegal in the UAE and are likely to be confiscated at the border" - we have also heard of some situations in which this has happened - see the comment from Tracy below. (https://www.gov.uk/.../united-arab.../local-laws-and-customs)

I live in UAE, you can vape where smoking is allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitewalkr

nitewalkr

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Sauga
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2014/08/travelling-ecigarettes.html

Update: Dubai Airport Security Warning

Please note that as of July 2015 three people have told us that their e-cigarettes have been confiscated by airport security. This has included during transit and during departure

Neil Williams ·
Country Manager at Taylors International Services
Travelled through Dubai end of July which I do every three months, a 30 minute stand off started between myself and security at cabin baggae check, end result was they let me take the battery but not the tank, luckily I had a cheapo tank, as I argued I've been coming through for years with it and they have no new signage or I would have checked it in. They stated supervisors had told them in the middle of July to start this. I returned to Dubai where my ecig was in the hold luggage which was searched on the way into Dubai as they thought it was a laser pointer, once they seen it was an e-cig they said OK and let me go on my way with it. However the purchase of ciggarettes and smoknig rooms are readily available in the terminal!

Smoker's Angels
Hi Rodolfo,
Unfortunatly, according to the gov.uk website "Electronic cigarettes are illegal in the UAE and are likely to be confiscated at the border" - we have also heard of some situations in which this has happened - see the comment from Tracy below. (https://www.gov.uk/.../united-arab.../local-laws-and-customs)

I live in UAE, you can vape where smoking is allowed.
The question was can you take your vape gear in your carry on while travelling through Dubai. I only have few hours worth of stay sp i won't be getting out of the airport but catching the next flight towards my destination. I won't be vaping it while i am at dubai airport.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Kriengsak Wangdulyakiti

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2015
Reactions: nitewalkr

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I believe that if you are connecting through Dubai to another international airline (And take this with a grain of salt, as I Have never been to Dubai)
Then, and especially supposing that all your flights are on one ticket, Then you will not need to exit the security area, and can just take the connecting flights. anyways, check the connecting flights out of the airport and the policy with that. If all flights are on the same ticket, your bags will be transferred automatically.
It will be more difficult if you need to leave security.
As for if you do need to go through security.... i would recommend taking your batteries with you, and leaving the rest in checked baggage.

nitewalkr

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Sauga
I believe that if you are connecting through Dubai to another international airline (And take this with a grain of salt, as I Have never been to Dubai)
Then, and especially supposing that all your flights are on one ticket, Then you will not need to exit the security area, and can just take the connecting flights. anyways, check the connecting flights out of the airport and the policy with that. If all flights are on the same ticket, your bags will be transferred automatically.
As for if you do need to go through security.... i would recommend taking your batteries with you, and leaving the rest in checked baggage.
Vs dna 200 has Lipo pack. Not the actual batteries..would suggest i take it in my carry on??

And thank god for someone to tell me what i wanted to hear.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Vaping is NOT ILLEGAL Dubai. Just that there's no documented guideline regarding the subject - exactly like it is not in many other countries.

Which pretty much leaves everything to "chance". There could be one of those IOs at the POE who had a bad night before - and would confiscate your goodies. But there are also others who'd let you pass.

I frequently fly to Dubai - and thru it to other destinations. I have never been asked to drop-off my vape gears at the POE. And yes, my baggage have been checked sometimes, the guys saw the stuff - and yet let me go on.

However, as with any international travel - it is wise to carry cheapo stuff on person and/or in our hand baggage. So that even if it's confiscated you're not at a serious loss. And carry multiple of them, in different form factors. If one's grabbed - the other might just be let off - and you could still enjoy a vape.

I always carry iTaste VV V3s and iSticks with clearos. And a Joyetech eRoll-C. Which btw, b'coz it looks like a tobacco cigarette - has never been questioned. Ironic it is - but that's how stuff work sometimes :)

Here's my thread on the subject for further reference: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/vaping-in-flights-airports-√.656729/

2evwbip.jpg

nysgtx.jpg

Deira City Centre, Dubai

Btw, we have a vibrant vaping community in UAE.

Ps.: Thank you @roxynoodle for pointing me towards this thread.

*IO = Immigration Officer
*POE = Port of Entry

Last edited:
Vaping is NOT ILLEGAL Dubai. Just that there's no documented guideline regarding the subject - exactly like it is not in many other countries.

Which pretty much leaves everything to "chance". There could be one of those IOs at the POE who had a bad night before - and would confiscate your goodies. But there are also others who'd let you pass.

I frequently fly to Dubai - and thru it to other destinations. I have never been asked to drop-off my vape gears at the POE. And yes, my baggage have been checked sometimes, the guys saw the stuff - and yet let me go on.

However, as with any international travel - it is wise to carry cheapo stuff on person and/or in our hand baggage. So that even if it's confiscated you're not at a serious loss. And carry multiple of them, in different form factors. If one's grabbed - the other might just be let off - and you could still enjoy a vape.

I always carry iTaste VV V3s and iSticks with clearos. And a Joyetech eRoll-C. Which btw, b'coz it looks like a tobacco cigarette - has never been questioned. Ironic it is - but that's how stuff work sometimes :)

Here's my thread on the subject for further reference: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/vaping-in-flights-airports-√.656729/

2evwbip.jpg

nysgtx.jpg

Deira City Centre, Dubai

Btw, we have a vibrant vaping community in UAE.

Ps.: Thank you @roxynoodle for pointing me towards this thread.

*IO = Immigration Officer
*POE = Port of Entry

Fantastic write up in your other thread.

I too traveled in and out of Dubai (I'm guessing you're a contractor like I was in Iraq/Afghan?) and several other international airports several times a year. I've not been there for several years, the few things I've learned is not to get in to an argument with the people there and that regulations can change daily/on a whim. I was a smoker back then, and I'd be afraid to lose my mod/tank if I had it in my carry on, as they can and will confiscate anything they choose and you have little recourse if they do. They aren't like Uzbekistan that will straight up steal stuff out of your bag, but they tend to err on the side of caution and will take anything they think is remotely out of spec. Sadly the safer alternative to smoking isn't the most convenient thing to do.

Reactions: qorax

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Dubai airport is not like this. Taking a connecting flight usually involves leaving the plane, getting on a bus, entering new terminal (which usually includes some kind of shopping plaza with $1M cars on the ground level), re-entering security, waiting at new gate.

Dubai airport is not like this. Taking a connecting flight usually involves leaving the plane, getting on a bus, entering new terminal (which usually includes some kind of shopping plaza with $1M cars on the ground level), re-entering security, waiting at new gate.
Depends on if you're taking Emirates Airline to/from your connecting flight. If you're taking any other airline, you stay in Terminal 2. So long as you don't take Emirates and a different airline, you don't have to connect to a different terminal. At least that's how it still was back in 2012. There were many times I might have a 4 hour layover and I'd never leave the terminal because it's so big. Anything longer than 4 hours though and I'd go out in to the city (I still know that place like the back of my hand. Sheikh Zayed road ftw!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread