Trouble with TFA Ripe Banana

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Nope, I tried lower %'s. Most all TFA flavours I use 10-15% then when the concentrate ages a little up it to 20%. I've seen HuckleBerry recommended 0.5-1% as well, I need 8-10% before it gets good to me. Don't know how people can use 0.5-1% personally I don't taste anything that low.

Honestly, if that's the case you're an extreme outlier and you'll have to work this out for yourself. I'm not trying to be rude or dismissive- it's just that almost no one is going to have experience mixing at those percentages, because they are _very_ high. I have a rather dull sense of taste and smell, but you're using an order of magnitude more flavoring than I would. I don't have the ripe banana you're talking about, but...

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
http://www.google.ca/url?q=https://...ghZMAk&usg=AFQjCNEpsjvTYrHI1qMCqTvl7gO9F-qAJQ
I've seen crazy low %'s in mixes but not as a stand alone flavor. It is like a green banana so maybe it just tastes gross to some at higher %'s but thats what I use the super sweet for, to mellow out that gross over ripe banana and make it more banana candy like.
Looking at this site it seems geared to Canada with US kind of a secondary market. I am wondering if these flavors are watered down, so to speak, because of the odd sizes offered? Does Canada flavor resellers have to adhere to Canadian standards. Are they any different than the US? Personally, I would try this flavoring from a US vendor to see if there is any difference between what this vendor sells.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Honestly, if that's the case you're an extreme outlier and you'll have to work this out for yourself. I'm not trying to be rude or dismissive- it's just that almost no one is going to have experience mixing at those percentages, because they are _very_ high. I have a rather dull sense of taste and smell, but you're using an order of magnitude more flavoring than I would. I don't have the ripe banana you're talking about, but...
If you read the link first they suggest 12-20% and 2 reviewers use 12-15%. You can look up recipes all day long, people only use small %'s in mixes so it don't overpower the other flavours. It taste more like a banana at lower %'s not the banana runtz I was going for. Most all TFA flavours are 15-20% CAP and FW 20% only ones I've ever seen that low are FA.
Looking at this site it seems geared to Canada with US kind of a secondary market. I am wondering if these flavors are watered down, so to speak, because of the odd sizes offered? Does Canada flavor resellers have to adhere to Canadian standards. Are they any different than the US? Personally, I would try this flavoring from a US vendor to see if there is any difference between what this vendor sells.
Yeah that was my guess a few posts back, it is very cheap. Prices in CDN $ are less then most in US $. I have got old batches before that weren't as good as they normally are too. JCinFLA answered my actual question correctly age ago but you know ECF lol.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Copy and pasted directly from TFA
RIPE BANANA FLAVOR **
Partially water soluble - this flavor is not as water soluble as our other flavors.

This banana is more like a true ripe banana than our Banana Cream.
Try it at 12-15% Those customers who like strong flavors might go to 20%

*Note: this flavor might be hard on certain soft plastics.

Ingredients: Natural and Artifical Flavors, Ethyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Water.

Maybe its not watered down after all. :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
RIPE BANANA FLAVOR **
Partially water soluble - this flavor is not as water soluble as our other flavors.

This banana is more like a true ripe banana than our Banana Cream.
Try it at 12-15% Those customers who like strong flavors might go to 20%

*Note: this flavor might be hard on certain soft plastics.

Ingredients: Natural and Artifical Flavors, Ethyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Water.

Maybe its not watered down after all. :)
Wow. I am really surprised at that. I wonder just which chemical it is in this flavor that 'eats' or in their words 'may be hard on certain soft plastics' is. Every time I use this flavor I end up throwing away the syringe used because it just strips all that it touches. Ethyl Alcohol is in a lot of other flavors that do not eat away at the plastic syringes so its not that.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Wow. I am really surprised at that. I wonder just which chemical it is in this flavor that 'eats' or in their words 'may be hard on certain soft plastics' is. Every time I use this flavor I end up throwing away the syringe used because it just strips all that it touches. Ethyl Alcohol is in a lot of other flavors that do not eat away at the plastic syringes so its not that.
Something in the natural flavor (banana) perhaps. I assumed it had that Triclyn or however it spelled in it because that separates and melts plastic but I guess not. I quickly wash my syringe after but they still don't last long because the numbers all melt off fairly quick.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
BANANA FLAVOR
A great basic banana flavor, not as intense as banana (ripe)
Dont use natural flavor nor does it have the warning so that must be it.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My opinion only, but many of the main-stream flavor manufacturers got started, and still make the majority of their revenue, selling their product to the food and beverage industries... not the vaping industry.

If you search manufacturer sites like TFA, CAP, FW, FA, INW, etc., you will find precious little mention about vaping, other than the occasional disclaimer regarding inhalation safety.

Recommended use in food, or drink, will be significantly higher than when used in a vaping application. Unless I see it specifically stated that the "recommended use" percentage is for vaping applications, I presume it is a F & B suggestion, and start much lower. I will give more credence to individual reviews where the user states that it was used in an e-liquid. (Of course, individual taste perception is still going to be all over the map, but at least I feel like I am comparing "apples to apples." :confused:
Wow. I am really surprised at that. I wonder just which chemical it is in this flavor that 'eats' or in their words 'may be hard on certain soft plastics' is.
Take your pick:
upload_2017-5-21_13-26-0.png

(original source: https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/msds/308394R.pdf):)

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
My opinion only, but many of the main-stream flavor manufacturers got started, and still make the majority of their revenue, selling their product to the food and beverage industries... not the vaping industry.

If you search manufacturer sites like TFA, CAP, FW, FA, INW, etc., you will find precious little mention about vaping, other than the occasional disclaimer regarding inhalation safety.

Recommended use in food, or drink, will be significantly higher than when used in a vaping application. Unless I see it specifically stated that the "recommended use" percentage is for vaping applications, I presume it is a F & B suggestion, and start much lower. I will give more credence to individual reviews where the user states that it was used in an e-liquid. (Of course, individual taste perception is still going to be all over the map, but at least I feel like I am comparing "apples to apples." :confused:

Take your pick:
View attachment 658757
(original source: https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/msds/308394R.pdf):)
Yeah it's like MTL flavor vs DTL clouds, both think the other is crazy. If what % I use was ok was never a question I asked all I'm saying. I'd think making banana bread or baking anything really with 12-20% TFA ripe banana probably wouldn't come out to well though lol. Even diluted in water thats alot to make a drink with, few drops tastes good. I've seen a ejuice recipe with 23% RB and 7% sweetner, both to high for me but he loves it so thats all that matters.

Multiple vaping sites have that exact same write up (most likely copy and pasted from TFA) and reviews of users using that % with 4-5 stars given. Lots of others say its to stong and to use 0.5-4% to start as well. If I make a true banana in the future I'll try a low % again but everyone in the reviews says higher %'s taste like banana runtz candy and thats what I was making. Hope that clears it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread