trying to quit... increase or decrease nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrey

Jun 29, 2016
I see posts on quitting e-cigarette that recommend decreasing the nicotine content in the juice. However, another reasoning would seem logical which is in order to lower the number of puffs, is to increase nicotine amount (say from 5mg/ml to 7mg/ml), so you would be getting the same amount of nicotine with fewer puffs. Does this theory make sense?

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I think the reason people recommend gradually lowering your nic to quit e-cigs is moving toward eliminating the nicotine (addiction) altogether and the need to keep vaping. The thing of it is plenty of users use zero nicotine eliquid and keep vaping because they enjoy the physical act of vaping itself.

Andrey

Jun 29, 2016
I think the reason people recommend gradually lowering your nic to quit e-cigs is moving toward eliminating the nicotine addiction and the need to keep vaping. The thing of it is plenty of users use zero nicotine eliquid and keep vaping because they enjoy the physical act of vaping itself.

I understand but i just read that vaping even with 0% nicotine can still be harmful so i want to gradually quit. I don't know what is more harmful, the nicotine or the vapor in your lungs

AJ Steele

Jun 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I understand but i just read that vaping even with 0% nicotine can still be harmful so i want to gradually quit. I don't know what is more harmful, the nicotine or the vapor in your lungs

Yeah, it's been shown to be about as harmful as breathing air.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
If you did not get a pounding headache or an upset stomach I would say No. But everyone's body is different as is there vape gear and vaping style which all plays into just how much nicotine your body absorbs. At the 3MG or less I am at now I can be somewhere I am unable to vape and have no cravings. But that is me and your experiences may or will vary.

Good Luck and Vape Safe

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Getting past all the anti-nicotine propaganda (much of it dispensed here in subtle ways) is an important step in your journey. The chairman of the Royal College Of Physicians' tobacco group and author of their recent vaping report says nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine. My advice is ignore the claims of health risks and do what makes sense for your journey out of tobacco.

Eta:. And yes, we tend to self maintain nic levels so higher nic should result in less vaping. I believe vaping to be harmless too unless you get specific issues with it such as PG sensitivity.

Rip Rap

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
I started off with 24,18,12,now i'm at 8. I plan on dropping to 6 because 8 seems a little harsh to me at this point in my own mixing. The juice that I have been buying has been at 8, but now that I am mixing my own juice 8 seems a little harsh. I do not plan on getting rid of Nic all together. I like the throat hit that nic gives me. Nic is not exactly harmful to you except for the fact the it restricts blood vessels. If that worries you then consider reducing your Nic slowly to the point of freeing yourself from it. Hope that helps.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Great advise above but need to add how I think about nic to the conversation. It is supposedly on par with caffeine when it comes to toxicity (once tobacco is out of the mix) so I liken it to having my morning coffee. I like it! I need it!
It helps me clear out the cobwebs!
It helps me focus!

Drinking a decaf in the morning?
Now is that gonna be better for someone like me who derives so many benefits from my regular mornin' java? Or should I continue on my merry way and continue enjoying all the benefits my mornin' caffeinated coffee gives me?

For many of us we like and enjoy the effects of a little nic (or caffeine). It is a question we each must answer for ourselves.
Some blowhard non-smoker or non coffee drinker in the FDA or CDC or any other organization should not be a deciding factor in a personal decision. imho. Cheers.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Great advise above but need to add how I think about nic to the conversation. It is supposedly on par with caffeine when it comes to toxicity (once tobacco is out of the mix) so I liken it to having my morning coffee. I like it! I need it!
It helps me clear out the cobwebs!
It helps me focus!

Drinking a decaf in the morning?
Now is that gonna be better for someone like me who derives so many benefits from my regular mornin' java? Or should I continue on my merry way and continue enjoying all the benefits my mornin' caffeinated coffee gives me?

For many of us we like and enjoy the effects of a little nic (or caffeine). It is a question we each must answer for ourselves.
Some blowhard non-smoker or non coffee drinker in the FDA or CDC or any other organization should not be a deciding factor in a personal decision. imho. Cheers.
Yes, despite what you've been told it is ok to get a little enjoyment out of life :)

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I want my Caffeine, Salt, Saturated Fats, alcohol and my Nicotine. I will fight till my last breath to keep all of them. Did I forget anything they want to take away from me? Feel free to add to the list.
A job, my house, sugar donuts, my guns, my rights, my freedoms, my choices, my sanity.

IMZed

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hamilton, OH, USA
I want my Caffeine, Salt, Saturated Fats, alcohol and my Nicotine. I will fight till my last breath to keep all of them. Did I forget anything they want to take away from me? Feel free to add to the list.

Don't forget what could be the most important: your money!

Reactions: Hitmetwice

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
But I mean, everyone is different. What works for one might not work for another.
So true. Raising the nic level wouldn't result in less puffs for me - it would mean more nic overall because I would puff just as much. While nic is a necessity for me the hand to mouth thingy is at least as important.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I see posts on quitting e-cigarette that recommend decreasing the nicotine content in the juice. However, another reasoning would seem logical which is in order to lower the number of puffs, is to increase nicotine amount (say from 5mg/ml to 7mg/ml), so you would be getting the same amount of nicotine with fewer puffs. Does this theory make sense?
I vape 7 ml per day at 10 mg. I'd rather reduce ml than nic but I'm most concerned about preserving my stash because of government interference so I'm trying to hold ml's constant and lowering nic very gradually over many months. I think vaping effects in otherwise healthy people are negligable but less is better. I believe that less liquid is better than less nic but that's just what I believe. If it weren't for government regulations I'd be experimenting with increasing nic to decrease daily ml's. Instead I'm decreasing nic slowly enough to keep ml's the same.

Reactions: Bea-FL

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When most people quit smoking and start to vape it depends on your style of vaping. If you are using the average 2 ohm coil and an atomizer that draws like a cigarette, then you might start at 18mg or 24mg and taper down from there. I vaped 24mg for a couple of years before starting downward in nic strength. I went from 24mg to 3mg in about 4 months in downward steps.

If you have a free air flow atomizer designed for clouds and direct to lung vaping, then the nic effect is multiplied as a result of the amount of juice it takes to create clouds.

Go by how it feels. If your vaping style at your present nic level leaves you feeling dizzy or with ringing ears, then cut it right away. If not, then continue vaping and slowly decrease the nic over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread