The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Two Factor Authentication coming to ECF

Discussion in 'Forum How-To's' started by retired1, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    We'll be updating the forum software in the very near future and one of the things you'll notice that's new is a new feature that allows you to set up two factor authentication for your ECF account.

Now... Before we get into the "how", we need to make something perfectly clear. Once you establish 2FA, we're out of the loop if you lock yourself out of your account for any reason. It'll be all on you to take the necessary steps to regain access to your account.

Once we upgrade, you can access the Two-Step Verification settings by mousing over your ID at the top right of the page. You'll see the option in the right column.

pulldown.png

When you click on Two-Step Verification, you'll come to a password page. You will need to provide your current ECF password in order to access the Two-Step Verification options.

Once you've entered your password, you'll be presented with the following:

2fa1.png

You can now select how you want to verify logins. You can do so by using your mobile device, or email account.

For a more detailed explanation for setting this up, read the first post here: XF 1.5 - Two-Step Verification and Security Improvements | XenForo Community

Again, once you set this up, we'll be unable to unlock accounts for you. So make sure this is something you want to activate, and ensure you have your fallback codes security stored away.

2. Robino1

Robino1 ECF Moderator Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    And to make it perfectly clear, you do not have to use the Two Step Verification. You can choose to use it or not.

:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. spartanstew
    This message by spartanstew has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Sep 6, 2015, Reason: Off topic.
    Sep 6, 2015
  4. Brkdnc
    This message by Brkdnc has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Sep 6, 2015, Reason: Off topic.
    Sep 6, 2015
  5. tiburonfirst

tiburonfirst They call me 'Tibs" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    back home
    to clarify - if i choose a 'trusted device' and if i keep logging on with that device will that bypass the second verification step indefinitely?
    also, will i still be able to choose 'keep me logged in' ?

6. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    The bypass of the second verification step is temporary only. You will need to reverify periodically. And yes, you can still stay logged in until you have to reverify the login.

• Like Like x 1
  7. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    With today's upgrade to the forum software, this is now active.

It's recommended that you use Google's authenticator or Authy (I use Authy) if you're going to implement this on your account.

Again, this isn't required. However, if you do implement this and lock yourself out, there's nothing we can do to recover your account.

You will be given an opportunity to copy some backup codes in the event you lose your phone. I HIGHLY recommend you copy these codes and save them somewhere safe on your computer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fourthrok

fourthrok Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Watertown, NY
    Soo..since I don't think I have any "need" for a two step verification thingy...since I only use my at home laptop to come here...then I just leave things as they are? Don't do anything? Right?

9. Robino1

Robino1 ECF Moderator Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Correct :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    As a reminder, if you activate this on your account, we cannot undo it. I cannot stress enough the importance of making a copy of the backup codes that are provided when you activate this feature on your account.

And if you do mess things up to where you can't get back in, creating a second account is not permitted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.