Unprotected vs protected battery requirements by the equipment. Such as the Itaste VTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfollis

Jan 3, 2014
United States
My question is specifically to the ITaste VTR, but applies to similar units that state to use unprotected batteries.

In my case it states "or damage may occur to unit." Even though I've read in non new member forum's that they can be used,(they specifically don't answer if damage will be done to either the battery or the unit.), and incorrectly stated that IMR batteries don't fit which I have 3 different 18650 protected batteries all fit fine, and even allowing me to fire a RBA at 0.6 ohms. I've even emailed support to Itaste which resulted in read the manual dummy type of answer. I understand that I should follow the manual, but I really REALLY like the VTR and to be able to fire at 1.0 ohms is fine or even 1.3 or maybe 1.5 like my Itaste SVD, but I don't want to destroy the unit or get some freak runaway battery blow up, ect. ect.

Does anyone know if I can safely fire it? I'm guessing so, but I will be limited to the 5amp rating I think will be the answer if so, I think I can live with that at a high voltage acting much like my mechanical K101 with kick or course with a piece of a business card to hold it in place (Ghetto and sucks to replace batteries which is frequent.) My SVD will not fire anything lower than 1.4, that's why I ordered the VTR allowing me to fire lower, I don't need to go to .2 or .3 or .4, but occasionally I'd like to get around .8 to 1.2 range without losing my fingers and catching my face on fire, or worse yet destroying my VTR. :lol:

P.S. This is my first post.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
For your VTR the recommended batteries should be a 18650 IMR High Drain these are "unprotected" by design, but use a safer chemistry than the "protected" batteries, which are not even high drain (high amperage ratings)

The protection in some batteries are actual circuit boards designed to limit amperage if something goes wrong. If something does go wrong, and the circuit board fails they will vent hot gas and flames

The IMR high drain batteries do no have the circuit boards, but the actual chemicals used won't vent the flames, and are more suited to the high amperage draw that your VTR may require at times.

Most important is to buy from a reputable dealer as there are many counterfeit batteries on the market.

mrfollis

Jan 3, 2014
United States
Thank you Stosh!!!
I've noticed on their site it says a max amp of 5 amps, is this true? If so I'll never get close to my max of 30 amps on my sony batteries. But I don't sub ohm bellow say .8 any more I'm actually using two different RBA at 1.1 and .8 on this. I guess according to ohms law if I go down to .4 at 15 volts I'll get over 30amps draw. I guess I don't want to be the guinnee pig for this one, plus I like my fingers where they are. LOL Thank you for you input, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Your VTR will complain if your coil build is too low, or if an atty, carto or 510 connector shorts out, it's designed to do this for your protection. A IMR High Drain is recommended because to get more than the batteries normal 3.7 volts to the RDA the boost circuit needs to be able to draw additional amps (no such thing as a free lunch). Your mod takes the battery voltage and by drawing higher amps, it's able to deliver 6.0 volts to the 510 connector. A good quality IMR battery (AW, Panasonic, Sony) usually is rated at 10 - 30 amps, enough that the VTR will never reach it's limit, your K101 is a different story.

A mech mod will draw all the amperage and more that the battery is rated for depending on the resistance of your coil. If you stay at ~0.8Ω and higher, go with a 20 or 30 amp rated battery, it should be safe with a Vape-Safe fuse included....:)

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I thought the VTR was pretty sound in the protection department but like all APV's didn't like sub ohms, neither my Kmax or Lavatube will tolerate a sub 1.2 coiling and simply won't work but both have automatic and self resetting short, over discharge protection so not the best of both worlds but certainly when dealing with the potential bombs these batteries can be, a definite safety feature.

In my nemesis, I only use protected batteries and the same with the 18350 units like the Hammer, I have, the very first 18650 battery I put into my Nemesis vented and its not something pleasant looking at the molten mess of an unprotected unit, the blackened mess on my glass desk where it had vented and the thought of "that could of been near my eyes/face" etc and I only use my unprotecteds in the APV's but I also have two chargers, one for the unprotecteds which have a charging bag as sometimes you do get a warning of a almost hard to hear whistle and again, it was burnt hand teaching when another so called "quality" battery started kettling and ended up trying to do an apollo.

The trouble seems to be that due to the massive amounts of these batteries, some spurious companies go through the recycling stocks and test batteries for any sign of life as some companies recycle their lamp batteries say for safety workers on a programme, these batteries that hold a charge are relabelled and sold on again as new and there you have it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread