Using a multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rus06

Oct 23, 2013
neosho
Since I'm wanting to mess around with coils and such and wanting to stay safe (not wanting to hit sub ohm because I know I'm not using a batt. cut out for it.). Am I correct in thinking to get the ohms of my coil I need to put the pins on the pos. And neg. Post on my tank while firing? Just curious what are other things that I should use a multimeter to test or is the resistance at the coil the only thing?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Sontu

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
South Carolina
No don't test at the posts and don't fire it when testing, your tank shouldn't even be on the mod.

To check your resistance you want to test at the bottom of your tank (the part that threads into your device). The positive lead goes to the center and the negative touch the outside of the threads.

Also you should touch the leads of your meter together and take note of that reading (meters have some internal resistance and varies from model to model). What ever you get from your tank subtract the meters resistance and that's your tanks resistance.

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough??

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Duplicate post monster strikes again

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
"A vaper without a multimeter is like a doctor without a stethoscope."
-Switched

Buy a multimeter. Any digital multimeter will do, you don't need a Fluke! You can get a good one for $15-25 from Sears, Lowe's or on the Amazon. You need your multimeter to check the resistance of your atomizers and/or voltage of your battery.

Connect the black test lead to the jack marked "Common" or "-"; connect the red test lead to the jack marked with the Ω (Ohm symbol) or letter "R" near it.

To check the resistance of your atomizers:

1. Turn your multimeter on and select the lowest Ohms setting, usually 200Ω.

2. Look at the display; the left side of the screen should display number 1.

3. First, test the resistance of your leads. Touch to two leads together, firmly, and wait for numbers to stabilize. On the right side of the screen, you should see a number between 0.0 and 0.4, or so. This is the resistance of your leads. Remember that number.

4. Now, to test your atty. Position your carto firmly on your desk; you don't want it to slip and slide all over the place. Touch one lead to the hole in the center of the atty and the other lead to the threads. Again read the display after the numbers have stabilized.

5. Subtract the resistance of your leads (#3) from the resistance of your atty(#4). This is the resistance of your atomizer.

This process takes some getting used to. Steady hand helps. Just keep practicing and you'll figure it out.

There are many tutorials on Youtube--watch them if you're a visual learner; the one poster above by Retired just happens to be my favorite also. :)

If you only want to check the resistance of your atomizers, you may want to consider buying this Atomizer and Cartomizer Ohm Meter--a very nifty, albeit single use, device:

1342887452113-981768337.jpeg

It can be used with all native 510 and 901/808 connectors; extensions or adapters are needed to test other atomizers (including eGo-threaded heads, which require a 510>eGo adapter). Many vendors carry them, including Smoktech, MadVapes, IndyVaporShop and others.

If you own an APV that checks the resistance of your atomizers, like Vamo, Zmax, eVic or ProVari, you don't need to buy a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread