Multimeter + RDA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travislavery

Dec 27, 2013
Yuma, AZ, USA
So I'm recently new to mechanical mods and RDA's along with the sub ohm world, I understand all the rules and risks when it comes to sub ohming. (Wanted to stated that before I continued.) I have a vamo v5 which I use regularly to check the Ohm's of my build along with the volts of the batteries I'm using, me being afraid of how inaccurate the Vamo V5 is when checking ohms made me go out and buy a multimeter to check the ohms of the coils I was wrapping. I would put the multimeter at its lowest setting (200) and put the positive probe on the middle post screw then the negative on both the negatives screw (and in the juice well between the posts) but I'm getting weird results.

My vamo is showing that I wrapped a .5 dual coil but when I check the ohms of a negative + positive post its around 1ohm each. So to my knowledge 2, 1ohm coils should be right around .5 ohms together, but after taking the internal resistance of the probes, its .3. So why is the actual resistance .5-.3=.2 on the meter, but .5 on my vamo? Also, is it best to take the resistance from the juice well in between the posts or on the actual posts?

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
2 1.0 Ohm coils should equal .5 together. If you set to ohms and touch the leads before to get internal resistance then subtract that from the device readings and get .3 I would trust it. Always better safe than sorry with no room for error.

If you want to measure the complete resistance of the atomizer, use the body and the positive pin.

If you want to measure the resistance of the coil, use the top of the posts it's attached to.

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
2 1.0 Ohm coils should equal .5 together. If you set to ohms and touch the leads before to get internal resistance then subtract that from the device readings and get .3 I would trust it. Always better safe than sorry with no room for error.

If you want to measure the complete resistance of the atomizer, use the body and the positive pin.

If you want to measure the resistance of the coil, use the top of the posts it's attached to.

The resistance between the negative pins and the body should be zero.

Travislavery

Dec 27, 2013
Yuma, AZ, USA
Erm, now I'm starting to get mixed messages concerning the posts and whether its the total resistance of the two coils, or the resistance of one coil. After messing around with the multimeter here are my results

1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on negative post = .8ohms
1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on the juice well = .8 ohms
1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on 510 connection threads =.8-.9 ohms.

So it all makes sense to me at the moment when it comes to the total resistance, but not the resistance of a single coil. It seems that I can't get the resistance of a single coil. Do I need to put the probes on the actual post or the screws?

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Erm, now I'm starting to get mixed messages concerning the posts and whether its the total resistance of the two coils, or the resistance of one coil. After messing around with the multimeter here are my results

1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on negative post = .8ohms
1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on the juice well = .8 ohms
1 probe on positive post + 1 probe on 510 connection threads =.8-.9 ohms.

So it all makes sense to me at the moment when it comes to the total resistance, but not the resistance of a single coil. It seems that I can't get the resistance of a single coil. Do I need to put the probes on the actual post or the screws?

You are measuring correctly. If you have 2 coils attached, it is not possible to measure the resistance of 1 coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread