Using Oil Flavorings with VG (Specifically, Peppermint Oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
I remember a very serious death of a baby, prob about 10 yrs ago, that had inhaled much of a bottle of baby oil! There was no way the dr's could save him, sadly:( He only lived a few days after that.

Just thought I'd share that because it really "imprinted" on me...

Baby oil is basically mineral oil - which is a byproduct produced when distilling gasoline (from crude oil). Don't know how a baby could inhale it, but I'd think that would be tough to overcome for anyone - it's essentially like cellophane over skin or tissue. What IS absorbed into the body eventually enters the intestinal tract where it sucks up fat-soluble vitamins.

Lipoid pneumonia (exogenous) is caused by inhaling mineral, vegetable or animal oils (most commonly animal oils). But herbgirl is right, "essential oils" are not lipid or fatty acid oils, and are not the same thing as vegetable oils. They are called "oils" only because they don't mix easily with water (but do mix well with PG, ethanol and oils). Biggest misunderstanding there is on all this. True essential oils are more like alcohol than anything else. They evaporate very quickly, lipid oils do not. Essential oil molecules are very tiny; lipid oil molecules are...well...very fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread