Vaping in a "You can't smoke here" world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonijo

Mar 15, 2011
florida
Welcome to the vaping world!

As to smoking an e-cig, I have been lucky I guess because I can use mine at my desk and no one cares. I have been known to go into a stairwell or the bathroom stall to use it on the down low if outside my office. The fact that my e-cig doesn't look anything like an analog may help. I have not used it in a restaurant or bar that bans smoking, some here are allowed to have smoking if the majority of their money is in alcohol, I use it there and just explain what it is. I have partially converted a few co-workers who enjoy vaping at their desk.

Since I don't want e-cigs to be banned I always try to be respectful if someone reacts to it. I have met other vapers outside at work conferences and we laugh. What I particularly love is that you can use them in hotels and rentals that don't allow smoking.

Lowstorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2012
Northern MN
So-first post. Just ordered my first e-cig kit, and live in MN where smoking is illegal within 10 feet, blah blah. Lots of smokers at work, we all bail outside to smoke and such. But it gets COLD out here in winter, and I've read that its impossible to vape outside in the temps that MN gets with ease. So do those of you that vape with respect just hit the bathroom in that case?

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
So-first post. Just ordered my first e-cig kit, and live in MN where smoking is illegal within 10 feet, blah blah. Lots of smokers at work, we all bail outside to smoke and such. But it gets COLD out here in winter, and I've read that its impossible to vape outside in the temps that MN gets with ease. So do those of you that vape with respect just hit the bathroom in that case?
Haha. Bullette the Cowdog from Wyoming here.
Just don't use a metal drip tip. LOL. Like liking the metal fence post in the winter. Delrin drip tip will prolly work ok.

BTW. Living in Florida now. No problems for me anymore.
Vape on.

Fog-life

Oct 31, 2012
Mid East
This is a very sticky and widely debated subject, and the way I see it is, non-smokers hate smokers/smoking for very valid reasons (second hand smoke, bad odor...etc) and most of them do not know anything about e-cigs, and therefore cannot differentiate between vaping and smoking, and they immediately have s negative reaction when they see smoke/vapor coming out of anyone's mouth.

The best approach (IMO) to educate the public about e-cigs is to vape openly in public areas (not in confined places or areas where e-cigs are prohibited) and stop if confronted by anyone and try to open a friendly dialog (NOT AN ARGUEMENT) and educate people about it; some may tolerate it, other may not, but if the vaping community remains isolated and closed, the public will not be educated and the act of vaping will remain widely un-tolerated and always associated to smoking.

But this can only work if the community goes about it in a patient and courteous manner. I call it "VAPE IT FORWARD" :)

Off Topic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
The Wood Between the Worlds
I vape everywhere. I have not had anyone complain about the wintergreen smell yet.

My boss loves it, because I'm not going outside to smoke every 45 minutes like all the other smokers.

In public, however, you do have to be careful. Careful to not be stealthy. If I'm planning on vaping in a restaurant, I walk in with my big fat provari in my hand. I take a small hit on the way to the table. I set the provari on the table in the middle where no one could possibly miss it....so that everyone can see that it's not a cigarette. I don't blow it in people's faces.

If you try to be sneaky about it. People will assume that you are doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread