Vaping / Inhaling Techniques....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Despite some of the heavy duty, high voltage, high wattage, military-grade mods available today (which is all fabulous, btw---I plan to get me some soon!) and the giant plumes / clouds of ejuice vapor and fog that they are able to produce (as seen in all the reviews of the latest stuff), I am finding THIS:

Some of the most shallow, tiny, smallest inhales, with small, short mouth and nose exhales, produce some of the absolute best flavor possible. Then, at times I like to take the biggest, deepest inhale possible, with the biggest cloud I can produce, and then everything in between. The thing is, the flavor of the same juice is actually different with different techniques. I NEVER took 'small' hits on analogs, and NEVER got much flavor variation from them.
Amazing, isn't it?

What's your experience?

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm really only after the sensation and the nic. The flavor is an afterthought. While the flavor is a determining factor for my ADV, it just has to be acceptable.

As for inhaling techniques, I'd say the majority of the time I take a quick puff and release while the heat builds, then a long, full mouthful, inhale, exhale. Sometimes I do a straight inhale without the draw, moreso just breathing it in. Other times, I find myself doing the French inhale, but that generally makes me sneeze.

fido5150

Apr 28, 2013
United States
From what I understand, the nicotine in e-juice is absorbed via your mouth, nose and throat... not your lungs.
So any puffing method that maximizes contact with the above will give a better nicotine dose. It's been quite a learning curve for me, since I've been used to deeply inhaling cigarettes for over 20 years.

It's like learning how to smoke all over again, lol.

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
From what I understand, the nicotine in e-juice is absorbed via your mouth, nose and throat... not your lungs.
So any puffing method that maximizes contact with the above will give a better nicotine dose. It's been quite a learning curve for me, since I've been used to deeply inhaling cigarettes for over 20 years.

Yep, that's so true! I saw a post on here somewhere that said you're really not supposed to inhale :ohmy: Don't know if that's true, but I've been used to inhaling analogs for years, too, and find it hard not to inhale. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but how do you get a good throat hit without inhaling?

TheDragonsDomain

Apr 29, 2013
LAX
I found that it really depends on the set up your using. With Carto's and Tanks I have to hit it hard compared to when I take a long smooth slow draw from an RBA. I see why a lot of people love RBA's and will modify the air hole to their specific draw technique. I drilled mine out to 2mm and it fits me and my style perfect. It's pretty effortless to blow massive clouds. I even stepped down in nicotine level because I get so much vapor now.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How I vape and recommend to new vapors is to imitate sucking on a straw that's in a thick milkshake. Long, deliberate, patient, yet gentle draws of 3 - 6 seconds length, holding it momentarily in the mouth. You can then either inhale into your lungs, or exhale it through both your mouth and your nose.

Many new vapors have issues adjusting from cigarette smoke to e-cigarette vapor. They may cough or not be able to inhale as deeply as they could with an analog without coughing. This is normal. It took you a while for your body to adjust to smoking, it will take your body some time to adjust to vapor.

As someone pointed out above, the nicotine in vapor is absorbed differently than the nicotine in smoke. Most is absorbed in the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, and nose...not so much in the lungs. Therefore, its not all that necessary to inhale vapor to get your nicotine.

Our taste buds have been damaged from years of smoking, so our taste ability after giving up smoking will be off kilter for a few weeks until they heal. Our nose plays an important part in our sense of taste, so exhaling some of the vapor through the nose will help us to enjoy our flavors more.

The pg and vg in our e-liquids naturally attract and absorb water, so vaping can cause dry mouth. Drink plenty of water, as having a dry mouth can also affect our ability to detect flavors. Hard candy or chewing gum can stimulate our salivary glands to keep our mouths moist, too.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA

You can inhale into lungs. It just doesn't pentrate the lungs like cigarettes do. But it does penetrate and ofcourse hits your throat better too.

I pull into my mouth slowly, hold it for a few seconds and then inhale/exhale.

Exhaler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Mountains of NC, USA
Despite some of the heavy duty, high voltage, high wattage, military-grade mods available today (which is all fabulous, btw---I plan to get me some soon!) and the giant plumes / clouds of eJuice vapor and fog that they are able to produce (as seen in all the reviews of the latest stuff), I am finding THIS:

Some of the most shallow, tiny, smallest inhales, with small, short mouth and nose exhales, produce some of the absolute best flavor possible. Then, at times I like to take the biggest, deepest inhale possible, with the biggest cloud I can produce, and then everything in between. The thing is, the flavor of the same juice is actually different with different techniques. I NEVER took 'small' hits on analogs, and NEVER got much flavor variation from them.
Amazing, isn't it?

What's your experience?

Today I received my first kit along with some juice. I had high hopes the juice would be better than the disposables but it tasted very similar. Then late today I started taking short slow draws and a much better flavor came through big time. So I do suspect that my long hard draws were burning or scorching the juice.
I should also mentioned I burnt out two different brands of disposables and they tasted so bad afterwards I had to can them. I guess I am use to taking long hard pulls on analogs, and I need to change my method to shorter and or slower to get a better tasting vapor.

fido5150

Apr 28, 2013
United States
You can inhale into lungs. It just doesn't pentrate the lungs like cigarettes do. But it does penetrate and ofcourse hits your throat better too.

I pull into my mouth slowly, hold it for a few seconds and then inhale/exhale.

Oh, I still inhale it, it's just the inhalation isn't the 'point' of the draw, so to speak.
I'll take a long draw into my mouth, a shallow inhale to get the throat hit, then out the mouth and nose slowly.
It seems to work pretty good the more I learn how to do it.
According to my eVic MVR puff counter, I've gone from almost 400 puffs a day, to below 300 in the span of about a week, using 24mg nic juice.

Evaravenspell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
KL, Malaysia
I still inhale.. I mean thats the purpose of me switching to e-cigs from analogs LOL! I take about 4-6 second drags. I do about 300-400 puffs a day as well. How i smoke my e-cigs are just about the same way how i smoked my analogs the last time. I never learned how to do a lung drag thingy. I heard its suppose to make you inhale more and then the vapor you produce are like bigger and massive hehe!

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I've noticed that brand new users like to puff them like a cigarette. To me, it didn't quite work that way. Longer, deeper, slower inhales always seemed to produce the best vapor and flavor on exhale. It's morbid fun watching someone who's been a PAD smoker for umpteen years cough their lungs out after hitting my vape for the first time.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I posted my reply before reading yours, Baditude.

Geez louis, you're seriously a walking tome of wisdom. If so and so doesn't hire you at such and such it'd be their loss!!!!!

How I vape and recommend to new vapors is to imitate sucking on a straw that's in a thick milkshake. Long, deliberate, patient, yet gentle draws of 3 - 6 seconds length, holding it momentarily in the mouth. You can then either inhale into your lungs, or exhale it through both your mouth and your nose.

Many new vapors have issues adjusting from cigarette smoke to e-cigarette vapor. They may cough or not be able to inhale as deeply as they could with an analog without coughing. This is normal. It took you a while for your body to adjust to smoking, it will take your body some time to adjust to vapor.

As someone pointed out above, the nicotine in vapor is absorbed differently than the nicotine in smoke. Most is absorbed in the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, and nose...not so much in the lungs. Therefore, its not all that necessary to inhale vapor to get your nicotine.

Our taste buds have been damaged from years of smoking, so our taste ability after giving up smoking will be off kilter for a few weeks until they heal. Our nose plays an important part in our sense of taste, so exhaling some of the vapor through the nose will help us to enjoy our flavors more.

The pg and vg in our e-liquids naturally attract and absorb water, so vaping can cause dry mouth. Drink plenty of water, as having a dry mouth can also affect our ability to detect flavors. Hard candy or chewing gum can stimulate our salivary glands to keep our mouths moist, too.

bjblackston

Jul 28, 2013
Minneapolis
I still treat it like an analog which is hard sometimes because i don't get much vape when I exhale. I get enough to see it and feel the mentalness of smoking but not like I see from other people. Makes me feel defective! haha

Agreed! I've been vaping for a few days and felt like I was getting *nothing*! Although my boyfriend and I smoked the same amount of analogs, he has been fine vaping 6 mg at less than 2 mL/day. Then there's me, who was freaking out even on 18 mg. I've been reading about mouth-inhaling vs. direct (lung) inhaling on the forums---seems this is my problem. I've been trying to do the mouth-inhaling instead, and my vapor has increased significantly. I miss the feeling of my lungs 'sucking' though (as gross as that sounds). Guess I've got to re-learn how to smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread