Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
The way I figure it, it is safer to vape for 9 days, 11 hours, and 47 minutes then to drive by one of the many hog confinement sites once. That's just my estimate, so don't ask for scientific proof! :D
Imagine working there!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
xmuXTtK.gif

Where do I start?

Forum Rules

Rule 35: Nicotine Strength
[3] It became obvious that some members joining in discussion of pure nicotine did not have any idea of the danger, or any knowledge of working with hazardous chemicals, or even any basic knowledge of measurements. Pure nic is as dangerous as cyanide - just opening a bottle in a room can result in all present being poisoned. It must be handled in a fume cupboard, with hazmat precautions. Pure nic can be theoretically defined as: Nicotine 100%, 1000mg, 1000mg/ml, but is more likely to be found as 998mg, 997mg/ml or 990 mg (99%). We consider anything over 90% / 900mg to be 'pure nic'. No discussion of use or links to suppliers whatsoever are allowed [4].

13. Message conventions
Posts made by members must accord with certain conventions.
a. Posts must be in English, except in the International Language boards.
b. Off-topic digression: Stick to the topic. Do not deviate from the subject discussed in a thread as this is called off-topic (OT) posting. Open a new thread if a new issue arises from the discussion so others can always see by the title what the thread is about. Do not post the same topic in several forums (no double-posting / cross-posting).
c. Post titles: The title of a post should accurately refer to the content of the message.
d. Do not place links in the title. Example: " Find good resources at www.vaping.com ".
e. Do not place domain names in a post title. Example: " Vaping.com is a great site ".

Y'all know better.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Every single time that I read one of these (now too common) reports, I feel like I'm watching Father Sarducci do his weather forecast. Something along the lines of:

"Maybe is'sa gonna rain, maybe is'sa gonna be sunny. It depends'a on'a the weather."

Too good! :toast:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Cross-posting here due to relevance:

An interesting read...

Pulmonology > Smoking & Tobacco
Cancer Risk Low For Most, But Not All, E-Cigs in Modeling Study
Higher 'potency' tied to high levels of carbonyls

Emissions from most, but not all, electronic cigarettes were more than 100 times less carcinogenic than emissions from traditional combustible cigarettes, according to a British study.

Most of the e-cigarettes tested had cancer causing potencies falling within two orders of magnitude of a medicinal nicotine inhaler devices, but a "small minority" had much higher potencies, wrote William E. Stephens, PhD, of the University of St. Andrews in Fife, Scotland.

But "high-risk results tend to be associated with high levels of carbonyls generated when excessive power is delivered to the atomiser coil," he wrote in Tobacco Control.

Stephens modeled the cancer potencies of a range of e-cigarettes and other nicotine-delivering aerosols using published chemical analyses of emissions and their associated inhalation unit risks.

Potencies were compared using a conversion procedure for expressing smoke and e-cigarette vapors in common units, and lifetime cancer risks were calculated associated with various potencies using daily cancer consumption estimates.

"Many electronic e-cigarette emissions have cancer potencies within an order of magnitude of a nicotine inhaler, a product generally regarded as safe," Stephens wrote. "Notwithstanding, some e-cigarette emissions tended towards much higher cancer potencies and risks, a few possibly approaching those of tobacco smoke."

Based on the analysis, he concluded that the cancer potency of formaldehyde, which is the most significant e-cigarette carcinogen, may exceed that of tobacco smoke in some products, especially at the highest power settings.

The range of cancer potencies identified in the study spanned four orders of magnitude, with "the vast majority of potencies being much lower than combustible cigarettes," Stephens noted.

"It is likely that third/fourth generation e-cigarette devices with adjustable coil power are implicated in these higher risks," he wrote, adding that with regard to involuntary exposure to e-cigarette emissions, "greater understanding of potential effects of secondhand e-cigarette exposure is needed to determine if their use in indoor public spaces should be banned, as is currently the case in 25 countries."

In a telephone interview with MedPage Today, Stanton Glantz, PhD, of the University of California San Francisco Center for Tobacco Control and Research Education, called the study well done, adding that it adds to the already-convincing literature showing e-cigarettes to be associated with much lower carcinogenic exposures than combustible cigarettes.

"To me, it's sort of beating a dead horse," he said. "The fact is, I don't know anyone who thinks that e-cigarettes don't deliver carcinogens at a much lower level than conventional cigarettes. They don't have combustion and the combustion process generates a lot of carcinogens."

But he added that the jury is still out on other potential risks of e-cigarettes, and other vaporized nicotine delivery, for non-malignancy related diseases associated with smoking, including heart disease, non-cancer lung disease, and diabetes.

He said the early research suggests that e-cigarette use, like traditional smoking, may be a major risk factor for these diseases, which are linked to more smoking-related deaths than cancer.

Study limitations included the use of emissions data, which can both overestimate and underestimate risk, and the inclusion of only carcinogens formally classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in the analysis.

Carcinogenicity of secondhand vapor was also not specifically addressed in the study.

Stephens disclosed no relevant relationships with industry.

...do I detect a wee bit of 'softening' in Glantz' speaking ? :shock:

AkiN111

Aug 16, 2017
xmuXTtK.gif

Where do I start?

Forum Rules

Rule 35: Nicotine Strength
[3] It became obvious that some members joining in discussion of pure nicotine did not have any idea of the danger, or any knowledge of working with hazardous chemicals, or even any basic knowledge of measurements. Pure nic is as dangerous as cyanide - just opening a bottle in a room can result in all present being poisoned. It must be handled in a fume cupboard, with hazmat precautions. Pure nic can be theoretically defined as: Nicotine 100%, 1000mg, 1000mg/ml, but is more likely to be found as 998mg, 997mg/ml or 990 mg (99%). We consider anything over 90% / 900mg to be 'pure nic'. No discussion of use or links to suppliers whatsoever are allowed [4].

13. Message conventions
Posts made by members must accord with certain conventions.
a. Posts must be in English, except in the International Language boards.
b. Off-topic digression: Stick to the topic. Do not deviate from the subject discussed in a thread as this is called off-topic (OT) posting. Open a new thread if a new issue arises from the discussion so others can always see by the title what the thread is about. Do not post the same topic in several forums (no double-posting / cross-posting).
c. Post titles: The title of a post should accurately refer to the content of the message.
d. Do not place links in the title. Example: " Find good resources at www.vaping.com ".
e. Do not place domain names in a post title. Example: " Vaping.com is a great site ".

Y'all know better.

What business do you have with vaping.com [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I smoke cigarettes too and i love the smoke just as it is, be it shisha, vaping or smoking. But due to "no" proof of lower risk in vaping, im thinking about quitting vaping and starting back smoking

Vape is not smoke, for one thing. It is similar to the mist that is emitted from a Cool Mist Humidifier. That is a big difference between a cigarette and a vaping device. Many have posted info and links to studies that prove vaping is MUCH safer than combustibles.

Propylene glycol (or PG) is a clear, slightly syrupy liquid made by the reaction of propylene oxide with water. PG has had an unsurpassed reputation for safe use in a wide range of consumer products and has antibacterial properties. PG is used to keep many foods that we eat moist, and the FDA has deemed it safe for human consumption. It’s used in many drinks, including beers. It’s also present in the manufacturing process of several types of cookies, cakes, and candies. Because of its water-retaining properties, propylene glycol is the compound of choice for delivering atomized medications. It has been used in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s! In electronic cigarettes and personal vaporizers, PG allows atomization to occur at substantially lower temperatures, and also helps to deliver the nicotine when inhaled.

Vegetable glycerin (VG) is a natural carbohydrate derived from certain types of plants and is used in everyday products worldwide, such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and foods. It is non-toxic and also deemed safe for human consumption by the FDA.

I have a friend with a PhD in chemistry who works for the US Government. Her lab has been testing various e-liquids. What they have found is that fruity vapes can leave a residue on surfaces but that doesn't mean that the cilia in your lungs (the function of the cilia is to keep the airways clear of mucus and dirt, allowing us to breathe easily and without irritation) can't handle that. Your lungs are self-cleaning to a great extent. Take away the tar and other irritants and carcinogens in combustibles and you definitely have a safer nicotine delivery system.

If you are concerned about your health, throw the analogs in the trash and vape on. I no longer cough, wheeze, hack, get bronchitis twice a year, among other benefits. It IS safer, there is no doubt at all. If you are looking for an excuse to keep smoking - not that I think you are - you won't find that here. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

AkiN111

Aug 16, 2017
Vape is not smoke, for one thing. It is similar to the mist that is emitted from a Cool Mist Humidifier. That is a big difference between a cigarette and a vaping device. Many have posted info and links to studies that prove vaping is MUCH safer than combustibles.

Propylene glycol (or PG) is a clear, slightly syrupy liquid made by the reaction of propylene oxide with water. PG has had an unsurpassed reputation for safe use in a wide range of consumer products and has antibacterial properties. PG is used to keep many foods that we eat moist, and the FDA has deemed it safe for human consumption. It’s used in many drinks, including beers. It’s also present in the manufacturing process of several types of cookies, cakes, and candies. Because of its water-retaining properties, propylene glycol is the compound of choice for delivering atomized medications. It has been used in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s! In electronic cigarettes and personal vaporizers, PG allows atomization to occur at substantially lower temperatures, and also helps to deliver the nicotine when inhaled.

Vegetable glycerin (VG) is a natural carbohydrate derived from certain types of plants and is used in everyday products worldwide, such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and foods. It is non-toxic and also deemed safe for human consumption by the FDA.

I have a friend with a PHD in chemistry who works for the US Government. Her lab has been testing various e-liquids. What they have found is that fruity vapes can leave a residue on surfaces but that doesn't mean that the cilia in your lungs (the function of the cilia is to keep the airways clear of mucus and dirt, allowing us to breathe easily and without irritation) can't handle that. Your lungs are self-cleaning to a great extent. Take away the tar and other irritants and carcinogens in combustibles and you definitely have a safer nicotine delivery system.

If you are concerned about your health, throw the analogs in the trash and vape on. I no longer cough, wheeze, hack, get bronchitis twice a year, among other benefits. It IS safer, there is no doubt at all. If you are looking for an excuse to keep smoking - not that I think you are - you won't find that here. I wish you all the best.

Thanks, Little by little I am moving closer to decision in favor of vaping... By the way, it is nice to have a friend with PhD in chemistry, what does she thinks about carcinogens that are coming out of VG and PG at above 250*C?

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Thanks, Little by little I am moving closer to decision in favor of vaping... By the way, it is nice to have a friend with PhD in chemistry, what does she thinks about carcinogens that are coming out of VG and PG at above 250*C?

I don't think her research is completed but that wasn't the focus. I am convinced from other studies by people as capable that the risk is quite low. I would never personally vape at a temperature that high anyway.

AkiN111

Aug 16, 2017
I don't think her research is completed but that wasn't the focus. I am convinced from other studies by people as capable that the risk is quite low. I would never personally vape at a temperature that high anyway.

I guess the temperature goes above 250*C to get a decent vapor? If i am wrong, please correct)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA

yeah people get way too paranoid......... Lots of us smoked for a long time knowing full well that it was a dangerous activity but yet we did it anyway (classic definition of addiction) ..... So, if we smoked while knowing it was dangerous then why should we be paranoid of vaping?

Like I said earlier in this thread, vaping is not a natural act, hence it more than likely carries some type of a unhealthy consequence along with it.......... How bad of a consequence is the key question that needs to be answered but at this current time nobody knows. Logic would indicate that vaping is far safer than the thousands of chemicals polluting the body from smoking..... On the other hand, the act of vaping is still putting large amounts of substances into the lungs that don't belong there and so it would be wise for people not to "assume" that vaping is totally safe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread