Vaping v smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moodyblu

Mar 31, 2016
I started vaping to save money but lately it's costing me a fortune in coils and liquid as I've gone from 3ml aday to 10ml , I've tried many many liquid but just don't like many and what I do like costs a lot . I've tried mixing my own and it didn't work out well so back to shop brought ones which I'm ok with but now I'm having trouble with coils getting through so many . Is it worth doing rba or am I going to be messing around too much and having the same problems

Reactions: mountaingal

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
What's not working out with mixing? At this point I have spent more on vaping than smoking in a comparable amount of time. Now that I have gear that really works for me I won't NEED to keep spending for gear and can research for things I WANT but don't really need. I know I go through at least 10-12ml of liquid a day but I DIY so it costs very little. One week of buying juice was all it took for me to know I had to make my own. I'm also still buying coils but learning how to make my own is next on my list and definitely worth it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Is it worth doing rba or am I going to be messing around too much and having the same problems

I would Highly suggest moving to an RBA based Tank.

Making your own Coils isn't hard. And it will save you a Ton of Money verses buying Pre-Made Coil Heads.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I also think that being able to breathe and not stinking like an ashtray is worth every penny I've spent so far.
:thumb: You can't really put a price on good health.

Most of us didn't take up vaping to save money. We started vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking. I truly believe that's true.

Once you find your daily gear and a backup, your subsequent costs should be just replacement e-liquid and replacement coils. For me, those replacement costs are minimal. I've managed to drop my nic needs to 3mg, and could probably vape unflavored vegetable glycerin if I needed to. A 177ml bottle of USP glycerin is under $4 at Walmart, and even cheaper if you order larger quantities from a supply house.

I make my own coils for my RBA for less than a couple dollars a year. A spool of kanthal wire is about $8 and will probably last me 3 years (homemade coils can last 2 - 3 months). A $1.50 bag of organic cotton balls for wick will last you a year, compared to $3 for each factory-made coil that may only last a week or two. Information Resources for Your First RBA

There are ways to cut vaping costs dramatically if you are willing to DIY your e-liquid and wicks/coils. After being a smoker for over 30 years, since becoming a vaper, I no longer cough up a lung every morning, no longer get long bouts of bronchitis every year, no longer get short of breath by climbing a flight of steps, and my car/house/me no longer stink of ashtray. Really, how can you put a price on THAT?

Last edited:

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
Try E-Liq dot com. $25.00 for 1000ml of juice. You can order smaller amounts to try flavors. I order all my stuff from there and it doesn't cost me hardly anything to vape. I vape 20-30 ml a day, depending on the work I'm doing. Cost? 75 cents a day. These are US Dollars for reference. What I typically do is order the VG/PG and some 10% nicotine and mix it up myself, but you can buy premixed there.

Edit: If I bought premixed, it would cost me $0.75 a day. Since I make my own it's something around $0.10.

Last edited:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
nd will probably last me 3 years (homemade coils can last 2 - 3 months)
Seriously? I need to speed up this coil DIY process. Darn pesky bills have to come first. Wouldn't do to not have electricity, how would I charge my batteries? ;)

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
Seriously? I need to speed up this coil DIY process. Darn pesky bills have to come first.

$5 worth of wire, $8 side snips and the little screwdriver it comes with. You can start very cheaply, so long as you have a regulated mod. I started in a hotel room with toenail clippers and a Kanger SubTank Mini RBA.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - Once someone finds a Ohms that they like, they can take the Lazy Route and just buy Pro-Coiled Coils like this for next to Nothing.

2210100-2.jpg

$3.63 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.6ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I change my Coil (on average) after about 5 Days of Continuous use. So 100 Coils last about 16 Months.

16 Months Isn't Bad for 3 Dollars and 63 Cents.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Once I started DIY again I went with flavors that are basically ready to mix, there are quite a few now that you just mix in your nic/PG/VG shake and vape. A few of my favs are Samoa Cookie by Real Flavors, Cherry Pie by Real Flavors, many others too like Strawberry Shortcake Flavor West, Lucky Shot by One Stop DIY Shop, etc. Plenty out there!

Reactions: RainSong

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I really had no trouble "winding" the coil.
My issue always came with the wicking.
Was never into dripping so was always trying to get it right on RTA's.

Never had any real success until the velocity decks came out and I switched from cotton to Rayon for wick material.

Now I don't even wind coils! I've found the premade notch coils made by UD to be excellent and well worth the 5 or 6 bucks for a 10 pack. They perform well and have good longevity. YMMV. Cheers.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Perhaps try diluting the store bought juices with unflavored DIY base. I recently mixed up some stuff in a old bottle intentionally not washed out and had lots of the original juice's flavor. I did put a light flavor in it as well as what was already in there. Now I'm working on a clone, though. Some of the flavor combinations are smart enough they're good even when you don't match it very close. DIY ejuice can definitely be a hobby though -- and I'm realizing the definition of hobby includes it's something you have a lot of stuff for. I just labeled bottles #90 and 91 this morning.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2012
    Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
    Perhaps try diluting the store bought juices with unflavored DIY base. .

This quote hits close to home and may just be where you need to concentrate. The stores will sell you up to 24mg/ml of a juice that you like. So, take that and dilute it x2 with a VG and you have twice as much that is 12mg/ml! That will automatically give you half the cost of the juice.
    For coils, use rayon or good cotton. Read up on tensioned coils and you may have a better experience with them. The tensioned coils anneal better and give nice results.
    I do like the poster who buys them by the 100's! What a deal that is.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I have spent my fair share of bucks on vape gear over the last 3+ years, lot of which I don't use or are backups. Building coils and making your own juice is the only way to go. My wife and I both vape for inside of 25 cents a day now and lovin the vape. All the other benefits of vaping just fall into place after that.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I started vaping to save money but lately it's costing me a fortune in coils and liquid as I've gone from 3ml aday to 10ml , I've tried many many liquid but just don't like many and what I do like costs a lot . I've tried mixing my own and it didn't work out well so back to shop brought ones which I'm ok with but now I'm having trouble with coils getting through so many . Is it worth doing rba or am I going to be messing around too much and having the same problems
    Your largest cost outlay over time may be juice consumption. I remember when learning to cook food and mixing juice, both can take time/desire to succeed minimally.
    Might like to read:
    diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
    dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
    Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
    DIY
    How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?
    What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum
    Tips for Beginners – DIY OR DIE VAPING

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    If you can tolerate it, unflavored is a great route to go. It's the cheapest, easiest to diy, and helps your coils to last the longest time possible (it does not gunk up coils). Once you get started on unflavored, you can add a little flavor here and a little there if needed.

To start on coil building, I began years ago with a simple dripper (igo-L) building a single coil. That's how I learned and gained confidence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread