RDA Velocity v2 clone or Tsunami 24 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
hey guys after using rta,RDTA exclusively for the past year or so i'm looking to have another go at an rda. I picked up a clone freakshow a couple years back and hated it. The clone was cheaply made and leaked really bad. I gave up on rda's after that but now i'm ready to try again :)

Not looking for anything to expensive ( although i really wnat that Goon lol) so looking for something around 30-40 dollar limit. I have narrowed it down to the tobeco velocity V2 ( or should i be looking at the mini?) and the tsunami 24 with the glass window. Just looking for some opinions. Would i be better off with the Tsunami since it's authentic? I did my reasearch though and heard nothing but good things about the velocity clone. If you guys have any other opinions on a different one i would be happy to hear them :)

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Owning both, I would go with the velocity. Or both. The v2 clone is like $12. So less than half the price of the tsunami.

Problem with the tsunami is leaking. You need a pretty long coil so your wick isn't resting on the air holes, and you have to be really careful when dripping.

The v2 will not leak unless to do it purposely.

They are both good RDA's, but if I had to give one back it would be the tsunami. But have yet to try anything bigger than a 3mm coil. Have a 28g triple parallel dual coil currently in it. Next rebuild will be a 3.5mm, perhaps even 4mm if they fit. And a few wraps less. May have a different view then.

But just get both, really.

Reactions: chazz80

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Thanks for the opinion :) Yea , i was leaning more toward the Velocity V2. After making this topic i did some reasearch on the tsunami, and how the window is pretty much just a gimmick on the 24, cause it just gets covered in juice anyway, so you can't really see if when you need to re-drip like i thought. I might still pick it up eventually, cause i'm sure after i get the velocity i'll get a RDA addiction like when i started getting into RTA tanks :p

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I have both the velocity mini and the Tsunami 24 with glass. Both are clones if it matters. The Velocity is meh, mostly OK. But the Tsunami is much better in my opinion. For my kind of .25 ohm vaping, its got a lot more going on, and was easy to set up. My preferred coils (7 wraps 22 g. 3mm) are chucking with delight. I figure the glass makes it like a reduced chamber and the clouds and flavor is dense and delicious.

As an aside, I can see my coils and wicks real easy if Iv got light behind me. Iv been watching them as they go from pretty heat blued to crusty gunk for 2 days now. :?)

L1070106.JPG

BOL.

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
This is getting tough. Decisions, decisions! I also just found out that tobeco also makes a Goon clone as well. I would just be worried about the post clamps bending as you tighten them down, especially since watching a video of it happening on an authentic Goon RDA. Think I should stay clear of the Goon clone and pick up the Velocity V2 clone and Tsunami ?

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
lol you guys aren't making this any easier :p I know everyone is going to have a different opinion on what they like. I guess the only way for me to find out is start with a few cheap clones and see which style i like best. I'm just so sick of using RTA's man. All the pieces, all the parts you have to take apart to clean, the million 0-rings that eventually tear apart.

Reactions: TraderX

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Sorry for another post, but i been doing some more research and the troll v2 has come up as another great option. The 10 ml juice well seems nice, i just heard it's a pain getting the chamber off with those 3 0-rings, even when it's well lubricated. I'm sure i'd only take it off to re-build and just drip through the chuff top.

What do you guys think though? keep it simple for now and just go with the velocity v2 and see how i like it and then if i don't just keep buying one thats been mentioned until i find the right one for me?

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
Sorry for another post, but i been doing some more research and the troll v2 has come up as another great option. The 10 ml juice well seems nice, i just heard it's a pain getting the chamber off with those 3 0-rings, even when it's well lubricated. I'm sure i'd only take it off to re-build and just drip through the chuff top.

What do you guys think though? keep it simple for now and just go with the velocity v2 and see how i like it and then if i don't just keep buying one thats been mentioned until i find the right one for me?

Troll v2 is also a very good option. The orings work fine if they are lubed with juice or you can take 1 or 2 orings off. The Velocity v2 is also good, just make sure you get a decent version like tobeco or you will have a loose or wobbly top. Any of the mentioned will give you a good dripping experience.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Ok so what should be my first build in this RDA when i get it?
Wire i currently have is;

26 gauge SS316L
26+32 fused clapton (kanthal and nichrome)
24 Gauge KanthalA1
Ni200 28 gauge( Don't use this anymore, lol)

ID would be nice too, if you guys have an opinions. I was thinking maybe first go for SS316L 3.0 ID 8-10 wraps. But i'd like to hear some opinions for a good balance between flavor and vapor production.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Wll the tobeco velocity came yesterday :) lol i can see myself ordering the troll v2 in the not so distant future! ha. Don't get me wrong the airflow on this ohh boy almost TOO MUCH! had to close those indirect airholes and close the mouth looking one a ton. Loving it but get this.. my juice didn't arrove until today ( i vape 0.2% nic) so when i was on the road i made the mistake of getting a gas station juice(was cheap and my real juice would be here the next day) it was called vaporin or something. anyways the nic was 18mg! me being impatient i wanted to try the velocity. GUys... i felt sooo sick dripping that juice. I pout a dual stainless steel build 9 wrap, 3.0 ID. Ohm'd out at 0.30. sooooo harsh on the throat and just nasty. The juice was supposed to be fruit blend, but it tasted peppery, like the nic went bad.

All good today though! juice arrived and i'm dripping as i post this. One thing i did though was take the sqounk pin out and replace it with the 510 pin it came with. I don't plan on ever squonking and thought why take the chance of a leak( even though you seal the hole with the grub screw, it might still make it's way down) Anyway when i took the old pin out i noticed the white 510 insulator on the screw. It kinda fell out so i wasn't sure which way to out it back in. It weemed like a tight fit ont he normal 510 pin i replaced it with but got it on the screw ( shoulder side up on the insulator, that was right i hope, so the thinner part goes up into the hole and the wider shoulder part facing down towards the screw. I wasn't suppose to just leave it off right? it's not just for the squonk pin right?

Was getting a lot of leaks at first. Think i put my coils too low, but whenever i would drip juice would seek out the mouth airflow along the side.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Just keep the wick saturated and you will be OK. If you use just the Velocity (no other attys) the wick should last at least a couple of days as long as you don't burn through it (I'm assuming you are using some sort of cotton).

I have two authentic Velocitys and a clone Mini and have never had juice leak out of the side air slots. Might be that you are over dripping.

You may get some juice splatter or condensation out of the slots, which is normal in my experience. Some of my mods have juice/condensation splatter on top, around the atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread