Virginia smoking ban dec. 1 !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Hey guys just joined the forum and started vaping last week...wow wish i had of started sooner.

I live in Richmond Va and work at a local Cracker Barrel, not only have they banned smoking from inside the restaurant, we've been told that we cant smoke in our cars, will be fired if were caught smoking in the bathroom AND that customers will probably be allowed to smoke e-cigarettes but employees wont...even though my understanding of the law is as longas it isnt lit and doesnt contain tobacco then it isnt a cigarette.

Am seriously considering opening my own vaping store here in town, maybe at a kiosk in the local mall and on the internet...anyone have any success with this?

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
Zapped, we asked the local Cracker Barrel if they were going to create a smoking room since they had just put in a separate ventilation system in the smoking area; they said "No", they were going to completely ban smoking (didn't ask about e cigs). The wait staff was complaining to us that they were told they could no longer smoke at work and they were not happy. The ban was supposed to "protect" employees, but the politicians forgot to ask how many of those employees are themselves smokers...apparently quite a few, from what we've learned at multiple restaurants.

At any rate, we won't be eating at Cracker Barrel again. Unless e cigs are allowed, but since I didn't ask the manager, we're assuming the place will be totally smokefree and not wanting our business. Even if e cigs were allowed, I would want to see employees able to use them, too. That's ridiculous.

If enough smokers in Virginia stay home to the point where it really starts to hurt business, politicians will pay attention. But smokers must be willing to "fight back", even through the simple act of staying home.

Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
All up in your grill..
Hey guys just joined the forum and started vaping last week...wow wish i had of started sooner.

I live in Richmond Va and work at a local Cracker Barrel, not only have they banned smoking from inside the restaurant, we've been told that we cant smoke in our cars, will be fired if were caught smoking in the bathroom AND that customers will probably be allowed to smoke e-cigarettes but employees wont...even though my understanding of the law is as longas it isnt lit and doesnt contain tobacco then it isnt a cigarette.

Am seriously considering opening my own vaping store here in town, maybe at a kiosk in the local mall and on the internet...anyone have any success with this?
Yes we have. We have had a kiosk in VA beach for over 10 months now and it is successful. I can only imagine what the smoking ban is going to do for business.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I am not exactly sure this is the main reason they let me go after so long... But I do believe it is a part of the reason.

I didn't want to say because I loved the place...

Mars Bar 18th st in shockoe bottom

I believe I was undercut by Nick Fisher.

Last edited by a moderator:

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
Zapped, we asked the local Cracker Barrel if they were going to create a smoking room since they had just put in a separate ventilation system in the smoking area; they said "No", they were going to completely ban smoking (didn't ask about e cigs). The wait staff was complaining to us that they were told they could no longer smoke at work and they were not happy. The ban was supposed to "protect" employees, but the politicians forgot to ask how many of those employees are themselves smokers...apparently quite a few, from what we've learned at multiple restaurants.

At any rate, we won't be eating at Cracker Barrel again. Unless e cigs are allowed, but since I didn't ask the manager, we're assuming the place will be totally smokefree and not wanting our business. Even if e cigs were allowed, I would want to see employees able to use them, too. That's ridiculous.

If enough smokers in Virginia stay home to the point where it really starts to hurt business, politicians will pay attention. But smokers must be willing to "fight back", even through the simple act of staying home.

Unfortunately Nova is the most populous area and that would be happening. I pretty much stopped going to bars recently, as a preparation for this. I doubt business will be hurt too much in Nova. Even my smoker friends didn't care that it was being banned, they just said "so we'll stand outside" and I said "tell me that when it's cold and raining sideways".

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova

won't happen. if tax revenues fall, which it might, a bit, they'll just make it up somewhere else..

Honestly, what should happen, is that people pitch in to either buy private smoking clubs, or make deals with bar owners to convert to places that would satisfy the exemption..

You know how they have food coops? Well, there should be smoker coops, there is an exception for private groups, though I bet to get back at you, they would deny you an alcohol license.

conrad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2009
Warrenton,VA,USA
Conrad, are you aware of the vapers meeting being planned in Fred'burg for the weekend of March 13th? It sounds like it might be a fun get together.can you pm me with info:D

Vaperhead, I've heard quite a few radio ads for e cigs. There apparently is no prohibition on advertising at this point, which is great since it helps get the word out on e cigs to the general public. I'm actually getting some people asking "Is that one of those electronic cigarettes", rather than the blank stares I usually get.
can you pm me with info:D

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
But we can still vape inside bars when the Virginia cigarette ban takes place on Dec 1st correct? I have seen statements on E-cig merchant websites that say vaping is legal anywhere there is a no smoking sign. Since I work in a karaoke bar I am very curious if the Virginia ban includes personal vaporizers.
They are not covered, but people will complain and the owner will fear consequences, and will ask you to stop. If you refuse, you are tresspassing and can be arrested.

novasteve

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Nova
It's over, the nanny state control freaks won. You have to see this WAPO editorial, wanting to ban the separate smoking rooms as well, saying that it's still not safe. According to that logic, it's about protecting smokers from themselves. If that's the case, then fried food and red meat should be banned. The self righteous control freak now said he can eat bloomin' onions without smelling smoke anymore. Ironic, given that a bloomin' onion has over 2000 calories and has more fat than a whopper. Hyprocritical control freaks.

Storyspinr

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Virginia
I seriously doubt they'll get away with banning the smoking rooms. Those were the only reason the ban got through the House of Delegates; had there been no exemptions, it would not have passed the House. With the GOP gaining 6 more seats this year, plus the new anti-ban Governor, Lt. Gov. and Attorney General, I think it unlikely the antis will gain much over the next four years. At least, I certainly hope not.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Its painfully obvious that the bill that introduced the smoking ban was rushed thru with very little thought. Guess who enforces the 25 dollar fine on someone smoking in a restaurant or a bar? A police officer.So instead of being out trying to catch someone driving drunk,selling drugs or killing someone they get to deal with something as trivial as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread