Vision Spinner Button Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackChad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Back In Mesa
I ordered from a different site but dropped from about 3 feet and the button fell in. Thanks to the information in this thread I got it open and found a glob of glue just laying at the bottom.

Once I got the button in place and put back together I pushed the fire button and it basically stuck in fire until I pried it back out with my fingers.

I have the ability and tools to fix it if I could get a little help. I just need to know what I'm missing to make the button "clicky" again or if one of you kind folks could, would you take a picture of the inside when it's in order or maybe tell me where the glue goes?

I appreciate any help, thank you guys.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
I was looking into buying a 1300mAh Spinner. I'd looked at the eGo twists too. Now that I've read this thread I'm not really sure what to buy. I haven't been vaping long and my go-to battery is a Volt X2 1100mAh. I love it, but I'm ready to head into the world of VV's. The Vocano's and Lavatubes are just a bit expensive and seem rather techy for a noob like myself to delve into at this point. Any suggestions of a reliable VV such as the Spinner or Twist or should I just take my chances with one of these and hope for the best and be EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO DROP IT! LOL

I'm not techy by any stretch of the imagination, so me trying to repair one of these is totally out of the question!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I've had two 1300 Spinners for a couple of months, both work great, no issues.

I'm wondering if some initial batch had a bad component... whoever built the board they put in it and who they bought the switches from... it happens.

Haven't seen a lot of traffic regarding their buttons recently, but who knows?

DoctorJ

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
After searching around various vendors and noticing that quite a few are out of stock when it comes to spinners, they must be pretty good. I have found a few other vendors offering their own version of a spinner battery:

AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | eGo Spinner Variable Voltage Battery

Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette

Still be fairly new to vaping, is eGo just a type of connection such as 501 or 808 or what? Can't find anything such as "The eGo Company". On the two batteries I listed above, the altsmoke says "eGo Spinner", the SI version does not.

Also, I am assuming that the versions by SI and altsmoke are their own versions and not necessarily made by Vision. Or would I be more correct in assuming that they are a Vision product with the SI and altsmoke logos on them. Anyone know?

I'll go to the vendor pages and ask there too. Just wondering if anyone knew this right off hand and also to let other know that these vendors have a "spinner" version in stock whereas most other vendor are out. :)

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
The Spinner is made by a company called Vision; they also make the Vivi Nova tanks.

Joyetech is the company that makes eGo. The version that Ego makes, similar to that is called The Twist.

If your battery says Ego Spinner, it is not an authentic one. There are many copycats. Some are okay, most are not.

Last edited:

DoctorJ

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Thanks sandy. That cleared up a lot for me! Still learning the vape lingo and I can add that to my list :)

As I said, I'm still new on the vaping scene and ready to expand to a VV. I'm researching and reading all the forums in order to help me make an informed decision on what to buy. However, it seems to be one of those cases where the more I read, the more befuddled I am with all the information overload LOL.

I'm just going to jump in and try the altsmoke version and see what happens since it seems there are no 1300mAh Vision Spinners to be had elsewhere and most vendors are saying that it will be 4-6 weeks before they get more.

Marb

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
Portland, OR
Just a little update on the DIY repair process (and my opinion of why the buttons are failing):

I had to take mine apart again and found that the button doesn't center on the board's contact vertically. If the button were completely flat on the bottom, this wouldn't be an issue. However, the button has a little nib on the bottom and when enough force is put on it, the little nib can slip past the raised contact on the board and causes the button to go cockeyed. And then it sticks or just ceases to work altogether.

I don't remember having to do much trimming of anything, if at all, but I did end up fishing a small wad of paper down between the battery and circuit board to give it a little more lift into the button housing. Works good as ever now.
The pic is of it's current state (button removed for illustration). It's still not quite centered, but it's closer now and works well - and yes, I've accidentally dropped it many times since and it still works good :p

Attachments

• spinner.jpg
    spinner.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 123

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
I've had my spinner since last Black Friday, ordered from Cigtechs. This can't have been an old batch, since they didn't even have the spinner at that point. -I ordered a Twist, but they just went out of stock and went over to Spinners, so they sent me that instead.

Anyways, I've kept this battery in my jacket pocket as a spare at work for 2 weeks or so and when I picked it up to use it just now, the button was crooked and stuck. Can't move it at all. I guess I've been another victim of the button-issue.
But for me, I haven't even dropped it..

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
Took it apart and yep, the hotglue in the topcap had come off and the circuitboard fallen down.
Pretty little room to work with without breaking off the cables, so I wasn't sure what to do to make it stick in place without breaking the cables.
Tried putting superglue on top of the hotglue and press it back into place. Not perfect, and I don't expect it to hold, but for now, after letting it dry up, it seems to stay in place. We'll see if it comes off in a few days again.

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
No, I didn't, sorry. Wasn't any room to get a clear view anyways.
Looked pretty much like Marb's pic in page 2 of this thread, but with the button still in place.
If it happens again, I'll try to take photos or film it.
I put an old eGo-T Atomizer (the big, coned one that's shaped like a CE4) on it while taking it apart. -Made it a LOT easier to wiggle the top off with it. Didn't need any tools.

Notice that if you do this, Make sure that no stripped wires, solderings or the circuitboard touches the shell. -The wires going to the circuitry comes directly from the battery, so if this gets shorted, you'll short out the battery directly.
A friend of mine had a eGo, that the top came off on. When he pressed it back into place, the wire got caught between the top and the shell, and the battery shorted out and overheated.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
So turning it off doesn't turn off the source voltage to the circuit board - which makes sense. Turning off your car doesn't disconnect its battery, either. Good reminder for working on any battery sourced device!

I was thinking that a regular carto would also work for the "wiggling" to take the top off. Also being steel, it should give enough length to provide the leverage. But something that goes on the ego threads would seem to put less stress on the rest of the fitting.

Sluggo

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2011
Sweden
My eGo atty didn't have the outside ego- thread. But it's sturdy enough to use as a "wiggle- tool". And it covers the outside, so it might use the outside as a grip too, even though it's not threaded (not sure). Might work with a carto too, but you might just bend the caro- housing off too.
But the spinner housing didn't sit all that hard, quite easy to get off there. Just be very careful, the cables under it are VERY short and when it comes off, you might tug them off when the top comes loose. -Just wiggle jently instead of use brutal force to loosen it.

It's been a few days now, I've been home from work, so haven't been out and around with it in my pocket, but I've been using it some at home and I haven't been overly careful with it. Well, I haven't been overly careless with it either, just using it normally. And so far, the superglue seems to be working.
I'll be bringing it in my pocket as usual to work next week to see how it holds up out in the real world.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Good luck with the repair. Some of those glues are amazing.

Good reminder that brute force isn't always needed or even desired! Actually, the shorter the wires the less likelihood of them getting pinched and cut being assembled in the factory. Since they're designed as "disposable", breaking the wires taking it apart isn't of concern to them :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread