Voltage/wattage settings for a better taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardat Lilith

Aug 4, 2015
Hey everyone,

I've been experamenting with settings on my battery and I always seem to have a burnt taste after a day or so. I only go through about 5ml of juice a day so I don't think this should be happening at the frequency that I vape.

Based on the info below, what settings should I be using for a good taste?

Im using the MVP 20 watt battery and the nautilus Aspire tank with a 1.8 ohm coil. I use a 50/50 mix and 24 or 36 nicotine depending on who I'm buying from.

Thanks!

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
Are you completely emptying the tank? Wattage too high? Both can cause either the juice or coils (or both) to burn.

Settings will vary depending on the juice (both flavor and consistency) you're vaping and your own personal tastes. My personal range has been from between 6 and 8 watts, with the occasional push up to 10 watts. I prefer sweeter flavors at the lower end and most tobacco-ish flavors (and semi-sweet chocolate) at the other.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Baditude

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
You probably want to be in the 8 - 10 watt range. You can adjust higher from there and if you get a burnt hit, back down until you get your good vape. HTH

as windycityjoe said

start low work ya way up on the wattage a couple at a time and take a good few hits at each setting before you increase again and then when ya start to feel the dry and next burnt taste back it down a couple

you will find ya own sweet spot

and how you tank or atty can perform and keep up

and even that will vary slightly from different flavors and your own taste also different VG/PG mixes will wick differently depending on the thickness of the juice

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
I run BVC coils at anything between 11 and 14 watts. Fast deterioration is usually a juice issue. I have a custard flavour that kills the atomizer in under 10ml, regardless.

custard i know the feeling i either do it neat or got it mixed with something

shame they cant make a custard that wont kill em

but then it prob wouldnt taste as good i know i got a custard problem and will seek help someday

(just not to soon)

Reactions: djsvapour

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
for what it is worth, if you are getting coils gunked up (and not burnt - not much to do with a burnt coil besides replace it) you can swap coils, take the gunked coil and soak it overnight in pga (like everclear or vodka) then give it a good hot water rinse in the morning and let it air dry - will get you some extra mileage out of the coils

as for getting to burnt taste quickly, posts above seem to have covered it - potentially running wattage too high or vaping tank dry can both burn a coil (and subsequently the wicking)... and make sure you are priming coils well prior to vaping (couple drops of juice directly onto wicking of new coil after putting it in base, fill tank and reassemble, couple of 'primer puffs' - no power, cover airflow holes and take a couple drags to pull juice into wicking)

and welcome! you're in the right place!

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All the above posts are relevant. :thumb:

I might suggest occassionally doing "primer puffs" while you vape, especially if you are a "chain vaper". It sounds like your wick is getting dry, leading to burnt or dry hits. Suck on your Nautilus without power on a couple of times; this will draw additional e-liquid to the wick/coil without vaporizing it, and hopefully prevent dry/burnt hits when you actually apply the power to vape. How often you have to do this will be learned from personal experience.

I might also add that 24 or 36 mg nicotine is pretty darn high, although to my knowledge that shouldn't affect the wick or coil.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Are you properly priming the heads before use?
Are you using authentic aspire replacement heads, confirmed via the scratch off code on the package entered into the verification are on their site?

Juice plays a big role in replaceable heads longevity / satisfactory vape.
Dark or colored, thick, certain flavorings such as but not limited to chocolate, coffee and especially sweet liquids tend to clog wicking material & gunk coils rapidly.

When the wicking material becomes clogged it reduces wicking ability which then starves the wicking material closest to the coil for liquid which leads to reduced flavor, off, odd, funky or burnt tastes.
Under powering leads to rapid coil gunking, combined with sweet liquids under powering can gunk a coil in a few mls.

Always start off at a low power setting & work your way up taking a vape or three on each setting until you find what you like or get a slight burnt taste, if you get a burnt taste turn it down.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Unfortunately when the Nautilus BVC coil gives a burnt hit, it is toast, there is no way to reduce power and get a good taste. Once burnt, toss it.

Prime the new coil with 3 to 4 drops, allow it to sit a minute then install it
Lower the power to 8 watts, taste it then increase .5 per hit till the desired result...I run mine at 13.5 to 14.5 but I usually start at 13 then after a few days once the wick gets older, I increase the power. If you are hitting it ...1,2,3 try to allow a minute until the next pull to absorb juice. The older the wick gets the slower the absorption rate so adjust accordingly.:D

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey everyone,

I've been experamenting with settings on my battery and I always seem to have a burnt taste after a day or so. I only go through about 5ml of juice a day so I don't think this should be happening at the frequency that I vape.

Based on the info below, what settings should I be using for a good taste?

Im using the MVP 20 watt battery and the Nautilus Aspire tank with a 1.8 ohm coil. I use a 50/50 mix and 24 or 36 nicotine depending on who I'm buying from.

Thanks!

the longer you use a coil, the more of a burnt taste you get.

how soon you get a burnt taste varies according to the elquid used; thick dark liquids gunk up coils faster.

if you use coils with cotton wicks, once you burn some cotton, it or coarse remains burnt.

Ardat Lilith

Aug 4, 2015
Are you completely emptying the tank? Wattage too high? Both can cause either the juice or coils (or both) to burn.

Settings will vary depending on the juice (both flavor and consistency) you're vaping and your own personal tastes. My personal range has been from between 6 and 8 watts, with the occasional push up to 10 watts. I prefer sweeter flavors at the lower end and most tobacco-ish flavors (and semi-sweet chocolate) at the other.

Hope that helps.
I don't empty the tank. I turned the wattage as low as it goes (6) it seems to be helping a lot. Thank you!

Ardat Lilith

Aug 4, 2015
All the above posts are relevant. :thumb:

I might suggest occassionally doing "primer puffs" while you vape, especially if you are a "chain vaper". It sounds like your wick is getting dry, leading to burnt or dry hits. Suck on your Nautilus without power on a couple of times; this will draw additional e-liquid to the wick/coil without vaporizing it, and hopefully prevent dry/burnt hits when you actually apply the power to vape. How often you have to do this will be learned from personal experience.

I might also add that 24 or 36 mg nicotine is pretty darn high, although to my knowledge that shouldn't affect the wick or coil.
I don't allow it to get dry. When I get a new coil or rinse it out (after its dried out) I wait 5 minutes for the juice to settle in and then do a primer puff or two. It works out fine. I don't think it's dry hits in getting

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have heard that cream flavors gunk coils up pretty fast. I tend to stick to fruitier tastes
In my experience, fruity flavors work out better by using a low power setting. They are rather fragile and taste burnt at higher wattage settings. I tend to vape my fruits around 3.4 volts (not sure what that works out to in wattage mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread