VW Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharleyDanger

Jan 10, 2015
D.C.
I understand how to use the ohms calculator to check non-regulated devices. Just input the volts and ohm of the coil and I can see what the amps and watts will be. Yet with the VW devices I am a bit confused...

I am watching a reputable guy talk about his set up, and he is vaping a VW device set to 25 watts with a single 1.6 ohm build. He is using a DNA 40 mod with parallel 18650s. Now if I put 25 watts and 1.6 ohms in the calculator it says it needs 4 amps and 6.4 volts. Now the amps are safe, but I thought 4.2 would be the max on parallel 18650s?

How does that work in a VW device? Can the amps be raised and the volts lowered?

Also, If I wanted to calculate a parallel dual coil at .5 ohms and 30 watts, would it look like this

Volts -
Current -
Ohms - 1 (because 0.5 is two 1 ohm coils)
Watts - 15 (because the 30 watts are split between 2 coils)

Result...

Volts - 3.8 (safe with 18650)
Current - 3.87 (Really 8.8 because it is going to two coils)
Ohms - 1
Watts - 15

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
The DNA chip is capable of boosting battery voltage( the DNA 40 has a operating range of 1-9 volt output , also if running at 30 watts that it what should be put in the calculator (which is not really needed when you use a VW device wince they do the calculations for you).
I personally just set the wattage low, and raise it till I hit my sweet spot (which for me is 10-15 watts depending on the atomizer, and type of build)
The DNA chips will not fire if there is a short, or your batteries are too low, so they are much safer than a mech.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I understand how to use the ohms calculator to check non-regulated devices. Just input the volts and ohm of the coil and I can see what the amps and watts will be. Yet with the VW devices I am a bit confused...
Now if I put 25 watts and 1.6 ohms in the calculator it says it needs 4 amps and 6.4 volts. Now the amps are safe, but I thought 4.2 would be the max on parallel 18650s?

How does that work in a VW device? Can the amps be raised and the volts lowered?

With a regulated VW APV - and to put the same concept a bit differently than what Dj Xy has stated - you can bypass using a basic Ohm's law calculator... because unlike an unregulated mech mod, you don't need to be concerned with maximum continuous current discharge ratings for battery amperage outputs - at a voltage value constant, like 4.2v - to determine if your net resistance and battery amperage potential are in Ohm's law "parity".

Yes, the manufacturer states the minimum current requirement for the batteries used in the input side of a "reg-mod"... but after that, the chipset boost circuit is what sets the output wattage... again, negating the need for an Ohm's law calculation.

If a reg-mod has a 30 watt output (or a 300 watt output, for that matter), the only things you need know are the lowest resistance value that the mod chipset will fire, and at what wattage you want to run - along with net resistance, parallel coil count and wire gauge - to obtain the desired "heat flux", or coil radiant heat, value.

See both first and second sigline hyperlinks below... for additional information regarding heat flux, and other values.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

I am watching a reputable guy talk about his set up, and he is vaping a VW device set to 25 watts with a single 1.6 ohm build. He is using a DNA 40 mod with parallel 18650s. Now if I put 25 watts and 1.6 ohms in the calculator it says it needs 4 amps and 6.4 volts. Now the amps are safe, but I thought 4.2 would be the max on parallel 18650s?

Also, If I wanted to calculate a parallel dual coil at .5 ohms and 30 watts, would it look like this

Volts -
Current -
Ohms - 1 (because 0.5 is two 1 ohm coils)
Watts - 15 (because the 30 watts are split between 2 coils)

Result...

Volts - 3.8 (safe with 18650)
Current - 3.87 (Really 8.8 because it is going to two coils)
Ohms - 1
Watts - 15

NO. The total circuit resistance is 0.5 with that example. The device will see the total circuit, not each of the two coils.

In any event, a regulated mod is capable of stepping up the voltage to reach the set wattage - within specs, of course. So battery voltage isn't necessarily the max voltage output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread