Want a Smaller Mod with Smaller Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2015
So I recently started vaping at .8ohms and it's not bad at all for me. It barely puts a dent in by battery, so maybe I can get something smaller. I've been using 18650, so maybe an 18350 would be alright? Would it last me half a day on a battery, I can always carry a spare with me. I go through almost 2 tanks which is under 8ML per day.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
0.8 ohms is about the lowest you'd want to go with an 18350 battery. Batteries this size have a lower amp discharge rate and lower capacity (mAh rating) than an 18650. You'll probably need at least three 18350 batteries to last you all day vaping at that resistance.

Your choices in quality 18350 batteries will be pretty limited, too.

AW 18350 IMR 800 mah 12 amp CDR (new IMR/hybrid)

purple Efest 18350 IMR 700mAh 10.5 amp CDR

Tensai 18350 IMR 700 mah 14 amps CDR (if you can find them for sale)
* Don't be tempted to use an ICR (Li-Ion) battery in your mod. They have higher mAh ratings than an IMR, but only have about 3 - 4 amps CDR (not nearly enough for sub-ohm). Also not a safe chemistry.

I have a Mini Provari which uses an 18350 battery and is one of my all time favorite mods, but its a regulated mod and it won't fire sub-ohm coils. I assume you want a mechanical mod?

full
images
miniprovari-jpg.454519
Mini Provari

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
You have to be very careful of wattage as @Baditude says. About .8 is as low as you want to go, and that's for a 10 amp CDR battery. The only ones better than that are the new AW 18350 800 mAh ones, AFAIK, and they are button top. I have a 350 rig I'm using in the car now. I am using the efest flat tops, rated 10 amps, not that I trust them, coiled .812 ohms. The battery lasts about 2, maybe 2.5 ml of juice in a Sub Ohm Innovations Big Dripper. All that said, it's possible to get a small 18650 mod. I just bought my gal a Sigelei Mini Book for Christmas and that thing is tiny, 85 x 39 x 22 mm. It's a 40 watt, (Ni only) TC mod using 1 x 18650. Pics follow; my current car rig, which is an MMV Nanos with the 350 tube topped with the Big Dripper, and the unit disassembled with the Mini Book.
20151130_142334.jpg
20151130_142358.jpg

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I may irk Bad, my good buddy, a bit, but I've been using the purple Efest 35 (really 25?) amp limit batteries for a solid year running sub-ohm tanks as low as .3 ohm coils on mech mods and regulated box mods. So have all of my co-workers, who are heavy vapers. No one really super sub-ohms, nothing less than .3, and none of us have ever had any problems with the efest batteries when it comes to sub-ohming. Just be lucky your local B&M or online vendor was able to get li-io or li-po batteries past customs, period.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I may irk Bad, my good buddy, a bit, but I've been using the purple Efest 35 (really 25?) amp limit batteries for a solid year running sub-ohm tanks as low as .3 ohm coils on mech mods and regulated box mods. So have all of my co-workers, who are heavy vapers. No one really super sub-ohms, nothing less than .3, and none of us have ever had any problems with the efest batteries when it comes to sub-ohming. Just be lucky your local B&M or online vendor was able to get li-io or li-po batteries past customs, period.
Hey, Rocket. :thumbs: Long time since we last talked.

You're not using the purple Efest 18350 battery with a 0.3 ohm coil, are you? :eek: Please say no.

The problem with Efest batteries is you never know what battery cell is inside the pretty purple wrap. That, and they are notorious for over-rating the specs of their batteries, thus giving consumers a false sense of security. Just read my Purple Efest Batteries: Not As Advertised or @Mooch's blog with his battery tests.

Sorry your vape shop has had problems getting mod batteries in stock. RTD Vapor, Illumination Supply, IMR Batteries, and Orbtronics always seem to have batteries in stock and for a competitive price, too.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Hey, Rocket. :thumbs: Long time since we last talked.

You're not using the purple Efest 18350 battery with a 0.3 ohm coil, are you? :eek: Please say no.

The problem with Efest batteries is you never know what battery cell is inside the pretty purple wrap. That, and they are notorious for over-rating the specs of their batteries, thus giving consumers a false sense of security. Just read my Purple Efest Batteries: Not As Advertised or @Mooch's blog with his battery tests.

Sorry your vape shop has had problems getting mod batteries in stock. RTD Vapor, Illumination Supply, IMR Batteries, and Orbtronics always seem to have batteries in stock and for a competitive price, too.

This is were I very respectfully have to say (and this is my own personal experience) that I've yet to have one single issue with the purple Efests. Right now I have a .31 ohm Atlantis coil in a Melo on an IPV3 at 48 watts and I've yet to have anything even remotely scary happen. I still have a few mechs which I use sparingly, but even when I used them heavily, mostly with .5 ohm Atlantis coils, I never had any issues. Everybody I work with uses the same batteries and no one really builds below .4, but again, none of them have had any scary experiences. So far it's been day in, day out like normal. We all respect our batteries, too, though. I guess I'm blessed in that so far everything has gone exactly as it should. That doesn't mean bad things couldn't happen, though, and I'm acutely aware of that. But, speaking strictly from what I've experienced on a day-to-day basis, in the field, the purple Efests never really raised any concerns for me.

THAT BEING SAID, Baditude is a local legend around here, a tried-and-true experienced vaper with infinitely more vast knowledge than me, and if it came down to you reading my post or his post, I'd err on the side of caution and go with Baditude. He's our Miyagi for a reason.

EDIT: Also, this link is highly referenced at work: Watts/Volts/Amps/Ohms conversion calculator

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
This is were I very respectfully have to say (and this is my own personal experience) that I've yet to have one single issue with the purple Efests. Right now I have a .31 ohm Atlantis coil in a Melo on an IPV3 at 48 watts and I've yet to have anything even remotely scary happen. I still have a few mechs which I use sparingly, but even when I used them heavily, mostly with .5 ohm Atlantis coils, I never had any issues. Everybody I work with uses the same batteries and no one really builds below .4, but again, none of them have had any scary experiences. So far it's been day in, day out like normal. We all respect our batteries, too, though. I guess I'm blessed in that so far everything has gone exactly as it should. That doesn't mean bad things couldn't happen, though, and I'm acutely aware of that. But, speaking strictly from what I've experienced on a day-to-day basis, in the field, the purple Efests never really raised any concerns for me.

THAT BEING SAID, Baditude is a local legend around here, a tried-and-true experienced vaper with infinitely more vast knowledge than me, and if it came down to you reading my post or his post, I'd err on the side of caution and go with Baditude. He's our Miyagi for a reason.

EDIT: Also, this link is highly referenced at work: Watts/Volts/Amps/Ohms conversion calculator

psssst

(you missed the question again)

drugarth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2015
Netherlands, groningen
If looking for a mech check out the Atmizoo lab 35......also has a small fuse build in for some extra safety....
If your looking for a regulated, check out the Provari mini or the Dicodes line and pick the small edition.

I use Tensai (now called enerpower) 18350 batteries in my Dicodeses and no issues to report...they last me about one 3ml tank, I use a Kabuki with the 1.8ohm nauti coils at 14W.

BLKDOLL

Mar 20, 2015
0.8 ohms is about the lowest you'd want to go with an 18350 battery. Batteries this size have a lower amp discharge rate and lower capacity (mAh rating) than an 18650. You'll probably need at least three 18350 batteries to last you all day vaping at that resistance.

Your choices in quality 18350 batteries will be pretty limited, too.

AW 18350 IMR 800 mah 12 amp CDR (new IMR/hybrid)

purple Efest 18350 IMR 700mAh 10.5 amp CDR

Tensai 18350 IMR 700 mah 14 amps CDR (if you can find them for sale)
* Don't be tempted to use an ICR (Li-Ion) battery in your mod. They have higher mAh ratings than an IMR, but only have about 3 - 4 amps CDR (not nearly enough for sub-ohm). Also not a safe chemistry.

I have a Mini Provari which uses an 18350 battery and is one of my all time favorite mods, but its a regulated mod and it won't fire sub-ohm coils. I assume you want a mechanical mod?

full
images
miniprovari-jpg.454519
Mini Provari
ooooo I likey that been drooling over Provari for a year! My vaperversary is 1-09-2016 so Im going to get one hah! But im diggin that MICROSTICK ! I don't need stealth I need get in my purse and let's go!

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread