Want to start vaping but don't know how

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
been trying to look up how to get into vaping and am just confused overall I have SEVERAL questions.

1. is vaping a tool to quit smoking or is it basically another form of smoking but much healthier?

2. are there ANY parts that need to be changed and how often? I heard something about atomizers needing to be changed or something.

3. Does a beginner need to start with a starter kit? I see people only suggesting starter kits to beginners why is that?

4. is vaping much cheaper then smoking cigs or is it about the same price/more expensive?

5. Any suggestions on what I should be buying as far as getting started? I just started smoking again but less cigs maybe about 3-4 at max a day but want to move onto something that doesn't taste like crap or smell like poop and make my breath smell like poop. Also any suggestions for online stores? vape shops here I doubt have a great variety.

I don't want to be buying better vaporizers every so often I would like to make a single purchase on a good vaporizer and stick with it through out my uses if possible. I Am basically looking for the same hit as smoking cigs + good taste. don't think vapor size matters as far as looks go ( some people seem to want a ton of vapor ).

scottfeldstein

Aug 29, 2015
West Bend, WI
I'm pretty new to vaping and to these forums, so take my advice with a grain of salt. That said...

One of the issues I had early on was battery anxiety. I was always thinking about it. When would it run out? How much charge did it have left? I have gotten over that now because I have a "box mod" that holds a much larger battery than I can use in a day. I know I won't have to charge it.

You sound like you'd want to vape a low nicotine liquid. I do a 6. You might even try a 3 if you're just having 3-4 cigs a day. Or maybe even a zero.

As far as odor and breath issues, there isn't any. The vapor you exhale dissipates in seconds and it won't even be detected by someone walking through the room 30 seconds later. None of it is left on your breath that I can tell, although the vegetable glycerine can sometimes leave a pasty feeling in your mouth.

As far as stores, I'm sure others will have good suggestions. I think you should also consider a local shop. I have one within walking distance of my house. I don't buy everything there, but most things, especially early on. I have just got turned on to a liquid store that's really good called vapewild.com. They have good deals on sample kits so you can see what kind of flavors you like.

Reactions: juskiddin

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @jacob bonilla. Glad to have you here!:)
1. is vaping a tool to quit smoking or is it basically another form of smoking but much healthier?
Vaping is considered THR (tobacco harm reduction). Most people vape to quit smoking. Many (including myself) don't plan on quiting vaping even if we get down to 0mg nicotine.
2. are there ANY parts that need to be changed and how often? I heard something about atomizers needing to be changed or something.
Coils need to be replaced. Depending on how much you vape a coil can last 1-3 weeks before needing to be replaced.
3. Does a beginner need to start with a starter kit? I see people only suggesting starter kits to beginners why is that?
"Starter Kit" usually means that everything is included (except the juice) to get started.
4. is vaping much cheaper then smoking cigs or is it about the same price/more expensive?
Depends on where you live (i.e. what country). Update your profile to include your location.
5. Any suggestions on what I should be buying as far as getting started? I just started smoking again but less cigs maybe about 3-4 at max a day but want to move onto something that doesn't taste like crap or smell like poop and make my breath smell like poop. Also any suggestions for online stores? vape shops here I doubt have a great variety.
If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below is a blog post by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
People use it for both. I Like it, so I keep using it. But it helped me quit smoking, and I am slowly lowering my nic levels. At 3mg now

Coils. as a newbie, coil heads can be bought premade, and last a couple weeks each usually depending on juice. LAter on, as you get more advanced you may try rebuilding, and then its just making new coils.

Dont need to, But its easier, as you have everything you need in one easy set up.
Tanks (which usually come with coil heads, battery is pretty much all you need, and juice.... and maybe an extra set of coil heads

depends on where you live.
If you live in vancouver where Cigarettes are 10$ a pack, then ya, If you live in Japan, where cigarettes are 5$ a pack, then Depends on how much you smoked and which juice you use.
If you live in Indoesia where cigarettes are 1$ a pack then no!

Check out our online vendors for juice and choose to your taste. Some people have suggested Amazing juice to me that I thought tasted disgusting.
as for hardware, Eleaf or MVP or something like that, lots of people seem to like them.

And u should probably start at like somewhere between 12-24 mg nic if you wanna quit smoking.
If you smoked a pack a day, 18-24 is good.
oh... and welcome here!!!

Davidl41

Aug 27, 2015
A piece of advice from a beginner as well, do not take some of the youtube vaper reviewers seriously. Some of them are super experienced vapers that give out good solid advice. Other youtube reviewers are hobbyist that dont give out that good of advice and giving out improper info that an experienced vaper wouldnt make. They sound like they know what they are doing but its just that you are a beginner that doesnt know anything, me included. Do some research and avoid a lot of beginner mistakes or end up paying extra from vendors trying to lowball you or buying vapes that are known as bad that regular vapers would not recommend because it is unreliable.

One thing that is annoying is that you cant just go into a store and buy a vape and expect it to be a good deal. Might be niave of me but I didnt expect a store to give me a bad deal since I obviously wont comeback after . Its time consuming and frustrating at time but take the time to read up reviews.I hate doing it but now I ended up with a sub par vape for 40 dollars more compared to other stores.

Look at the release date of vapes if it came out 6 months ago at 120 it may be 60 dollars now (120 is a "new product" mark up from probably 90 and in 6 months it drops down 30 dollars to 60) , so do not buy at 95 even if its "on sale"... lesson learned.. vapes lose their price fast. Although some may lose it slower, although im not too familiar.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
Jacob, 3-4 stinkies a day, I would seriously think about just quitting all together. What is it about vaping that has you interested in making the switch from smoking??
I like to smoke in general. if I could I would smoke a pack a day given no bad side effects thus why I cut it down to only 3-4 a day instead of a pack a day. it also seems like a much healthier alternative assuming no 2nd hand smoking , legal, various flavors ( some cigs I smoke and like are very rare to find in my state )

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I just wrote in another thread about my experience. I smoked a pack and a half and started vaping at 24mg and am now down to 1.5mg, and the addiction is pretty much gone. I enjoy vaping, but sometimes I leave the house without it. I never left the house without cigarettes that just wasn't me. So for me the addiction is minimal at best, nothing like cigarettes.

My suggestion is to buy something and try it. You'll make some mistakes, you'll question your decision, and you might even slip up and smoke a cig. But it's worth a shot. It worked for mostly everyone here so that says something. And we have members of all ages and races from all around the globe, so that should be a good indicator of a successful product.

There are different types of setups to start with. I recommend getting something simple like the joyetech ego one. You unscrew the bottom, put juice in it close it, and push the button. Plan to upgrade in 6 months if you want more. There is a coil, and that needs to be changed every week or 2 weeks. I vape 5ml a day, I pay 15 bucks for 50ml. So that's 1.50 a day, plus a coil. Coils are 15 bucks for 5, so that's like under 2 bucks a day. It's worth it to try out. And with all your saved money can can lease a car or keep buying vaping gear lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ElevenEleven

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
1. Both. I've noticed that it is a lot easier to stop vaping than to quit smoking.

2. You're correct. If you decide to get into rebuildables then you'll be swapping out your wicks more than your coils. The lifespan of a prebuilt atomizer can range from a few days to a month. There are variables that dictate an atomizer's lifespan such as build quality of the atomizer and the thickness of the eliquid being used.

3. A lot of us recommend starter kits to beginners so they can dive in head first. That way, they can figure out what they prefer without breaking the bank.

4. It can be either or. Making your own juice will be the best way to save money.

5. I normally recommend an eGo/clearo setup to beginners. Its what I used to quit smoking and they can be had for cheap, but there are much better kits.

The Nautilus Mini is a great beginner/novice tank and a lot of people here love and recommend them. Pair that with a good variable voltage/wattage battery and you should be good to go.

Online venders I use are: VaporDNA, 101Vape, Eciggity, and Heather's Heavenly Vapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread