Washington bill (6569) would tax tobacco substitutes (including e-cigs) at 95%, referred to Senate Ways and Means Cmte

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Bill Godshall, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Washington bill (6569) would tax e-cigs at 95% of taxable sales price (which is what WA taxes cigars, smokeless and smoking tobacco), and would redefine "vapor products" to be "tobacco substitutes" and "tobacco products", referred to Senate Ways and Means Cmte. It also appears that 6569 would require all e-cig retailers to obtain a state tobacco license.
    SB 6569 - 2013-14

There are five Senate cosponsors of 6569, and the lead sponsor is a Republican.

For a list of OTP taxes for each state, go to:
    http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0169.pdf

2. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oh no! Not in my State!

Interesting how the language in these bills is pretty much identical. And funny how the ineffective NRT products from BP are always excluded from the definitions and taxes...

3. Alexander Mundy

Alexander Mundy Ribbon Twister Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I find it interesting that this appears to make potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne peppers, etc. a tobacco product with a 95% tax those items and a gross misdemeanor to sell or give them to persons under the age of 18.

Sec. 1. RCW 26.28.080 and 2013 c 47 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:

Every person who sells or gives, or permits to be sold or given, to any person under the age of eighteen years any tobacco product is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

It is not a defense to a prosecution for a violation of this section that the person acted, or was believed by the defendant to act, as agent or representative of another.

For the purposes of this section, "tobacco product" means: Any product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or nicotine that is intended for human consumption, whether chewed, smoked, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or ingested by any other means; and Any electronic device that can be used to deliver nicotine or other substances to, the person inhaling from the device, including, but not limited to, an electronic cigarette, cigar, pipe, or hookah.

Notwithstanding any provisions of (a)(i) and (ii) of this subsection to the contrary, "tobacco product" includes any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product whether or not it is sold separately. "Tobacco product" does not include any product that has been approved by the United States food and drug administration for tobacco cessation or other therapeutic purposes where such product is marketed and sold solely for such an approved purpose.

4. Talyon

Talyon Vape 4 Life Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nicely ^^^^^ Put.....

(from a dark alley) Psssssst, I've got some cayenne over here, u wanna buy some?

5. JustJulie

JustJulie CASAA Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  6. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Wow could that be any more transparent. And obvious. The ultimate revenge of vaping may turn out to be : 1.) It actually works - unlike the FDA approved crap that gets a free lunch in this tax ride. 2.) We already have seen people who can quit vaping for extended periods of time - up to two years in some cases reported on ECF - without relapsing into tax generation - cough, cough - smoking.

You don't want people smoking and you want your tax revenue too? Washington may find out you can't have it both ways when it comes to vaping.

7. claudebo

claudebo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

CALL ME NUTS but

Why do we as a society:

pay for methadone to ...... addicts
    give disability benefits to alcoholics
    condoms to anybody
    etc etc

Then go and tax something that may actually help
    the remaining 18% hard core smokers.

Seems to me we should be giving e-cigs out
    Would that not be a benefit to society.
    GRRRRRRRRRrrrrr, have to go find my MVP

8. twgbonehead

twgbonehead Vaping Master ECF Veteran

As a comparison, what is their tax rate on cigarettes?

9. Alexander Mundy

Alexander Mundy Ribbon Twister Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Googlefu

Cigarette tax

"The cigarette tax rate for a carton of cigarettes is $30.25.

In addition to the cigarette tax, cigarettes are also subject to sales or use tax."

10. ImperfectFuture

ImperfectFuture Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The problem with the state, just gave out tons of tax bennies to Boeing, won't institute an income tax, so must rely on sales tax. Yes, most folks want to quit. That's a big loss in revenue when they do (for instance, in regards to people on disability - two classes of medical care. Medicaid paid by the state, free smoking cessation help with nrts, counseling,etc. Medicare only -you make $40 too much a month to qualify for other - Feds pay for medical care, no quit smoking help, no dental care, etc). The state protects the state.

They will come up with something catchy to get it passed (someone should already be looking at some ballot action and petitions), like this money will be used to help smokers quit. And just like the last time they did the cigarette (sin) taxes, they decided the state was too broke, and used the quit smoking money for other purposes (unless you are on Medicaid). A very selfish state indeed.

11. ImperfectFuture

ImperfectFuture Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

PS, now is the time to plan your reduction methods to 0 nic. Best practice, sell all flavors 0 nic, and varying bottles of nic levels. Most cost effective method. Sell your equipment with 0 nic samples. Since e cigs deliver 0 nic also, there's always a loophole.

12. DrMA

I submitted an official comment on the bill, which will be visible to all legislators. This is all the 1000 characters allowed on the form.

13. DavidOck

DavidOck Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Still wondering why this alert hasn't seen it's place in the action alerts up top? I brought it up in the Where's my WA vapers thread, and this thread got moved off the beaten track...

14. DrMA

I'm guessing because it's not an outright ban like some of the other bills?

15. Neloish

Neloish Senior Member ECF Veteran

I have emailed all of the reps on casaa call to action page, I really wish this would get more traction, why cant the mods post a call to action on the front page?

16. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I've pinged Rolygate & Smokey Joe about it - they are the only ones that have that particular function.

17. DavidOck

DavidOck Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Thanks! Now we all just have to remember that they're only people with lives :)

18. Neloish

Neloish Senior Member ECF Veteran

Got a reply from the aid.

"Timothy,

Thank you for contacting Senator Roach in opposition to SB 6569 -Clarifying laws relating to tobacco substitutes. The bill is in Ways and Means and has not been scheduled for hearing to date. I don't know if this bill will be considered as a piece of legislation that is NTSB (necessary to implement the state budget) or not.

Historically, Senator Roach has not been one to favor any taxes or fees without the input of citizens.

Constituent calls, emails and hotlines do make a difference.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Marshall
    L.A. to Pam Roach
    State Senator
    112 Newhouse Building
    P.O. Box 40431
    Olympia, WA 98504
    360-786-7660
    Toll free legislative hotline 1-800-562-6000
    Visit Senator Roach's website"

Interesting.

19. 5cardstud

5cardstud ECF Guru (Fusionman) Verified Member ECF Veteran

And a new black market might be formed. I hate government more every yr. I'm alive. They stoop to nothing for the almighty buck. It surprises me that felons can't hold public office because the government and convicts think so much alike.

Anyway I submitted my email to them and I edited out all the things I'd like to say so it was nice.

20. VapieDan

VapieDan Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The money grab is on. The legislators have a new sitting duck. Kind of like watching a predator circling the wounded prey. Best of all coming to state near you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.