Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The oil lamp is a good example.

When a Atty or Carto is wicking well, e-liquid is supplied to the Atomizer Coil fast enough to make Vapor.

When something wicks too fast, the Atty or the Carto floods and doesn't produce much vapor or taste.

But when something wicks too slowly, that is when a Atty or Cartos gives a Terrible Burnt Taste. Because there isn't enough e-Liquid to be Vaporized, the atomizer wire heats up and the e-Liquid burns. Hence, the Terrible taste.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
For ecigs it means something absorbent carries the liquid to the coil where it can be atomized.

In an atomizer, there is an absorbent wick on/in the metal mesh /\ bridge and it helps the liquid get down to the vaporizing coil. If you are using a cartridge, the wick and bridge touch the cart stuffing providing a channel for liquid to be absorbed and reach the coil.

With a stuffing type cartomizer, the stuffing is the wick and there may be some standard stringy wicks in the stuffing. In reservoir cartomizers the wicks are just dangling in the liquid.

Thin liquid usually wicks more quickly than thick liquid - if liquid wicks slower that you are vaping it, you can get burnt tastes
(in general, liquid high in PG are thinner, ones high in VG are thicker)

Liquids that have a lot of flavoring sediment can clog up wicks, coil, stuffing and slow the wicking or cause burnt taste

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
So the white stuffing looking stuff is the wick? When I read "wicking action" this just means how fast the liquid is going from the stuffing to the heating coils? Is that right?

Yes. If you look at carts, for example, the poly in carts tends to hold the liquid a little too well. When you first fill them, they wick the juice to the steel mesh on the bridge just fine, but they slow down and you have to refill.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
YAY ME!! lol Thanks again. I felt like my head was going to explode searching for the meaning of that term!! lol

Part of the Struggle for new people with e-Cigs is learning all the Lingo, Abbreviations and Slang Terms.

That and trying to learn them all while in Analog withdraws.

Ask as many questions as you might have.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Dirty black wick in pic does not wick good. Causes burnt taste.

The diapers shown on dual coil wicks liquid from polyfill to coil. If diaper is not wet it will burn.

Attachments

• DSC_9100.jpg
    DSC_9100.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 00 ce2-x.jpg
    00 ce2-x.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 149

CGlassford

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
Dirty black wick in pic does not wick good. Causes burnt taste.

The diapers shown on dual coil wicks liquid from polyfill to coil. If diaper is not wet it will burn.

OH NO!!! Now we have DIAPERS!! PLEASE tell me I'm not sucking on something out of a diaper!!

J/K :p

Thanks for the pics. I just need a visual every once in a while to truly understand some things. I guess I don't NEED to know how it works to use it as long as it works. But it helps to know WHY when it doesn't work correctly.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I guess I don't NEED to know how it works to use it as long as it works. But it helps to know WHY when it doesn't work correctly.

This is e-Cigs in a Nut Shell. And also why many people can't fix their own stuff.

If you have a Basic understanding of how things work, you can figure out solutions to problems you might come across.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Felt the need to jump on this thread,think I am seriously fooking my cartomizers up following guides videos and advice on here but not sure what's going on put loads or seems like loads of liquid in and still burnt taste what am I doing wrong it looks soaked ? Micky

On a brand new carto you really need to put too much juice in the first time. If it's not running out the bottom, it's not enough juice.

Once it comes out the connector end, blow thru the mouth end (gently, very gently) into a tissue or paper towel a time or two to get rid of the excess juice. Then its wet enough.

Thats been my experience. Hope it helps you.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Cheers bozzlite nice profile pic by the way just watching family guy,will try filling again tried 2 so far what a bummer hope I can get them working cheers for reply. Micky

LOL, I really hope that works for you. I learned it the hard way when I first switched to cartomizers. Burned up a couple myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread