What does your forum name mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robtest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
atlanta, ga metro area
mine is computer nerdish... Back in the day of DOS, before windows, when I was working on someone's computer, I would name all my testing files as robtest1, robtest2, robtest3, etc. When I was cleaning up after I was done, I could simply do a C:>delete robtest*.*

Then enters the internetz, and trying to join AOL... I tried many permutations of my real name, all of them seemed to be taken...

So I tried robtest and got the message "Welcome to AOL"

I have used it ever since where ever possible...

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Mine refers to the fact that I just wanted to sign up to get access and was going to use my junk email account, as I generally do when I don't plan on being more than a one time lurker, lol. I had read an article about e-cigs, so I wanted to look around.

So of course, they wouldn't let me sign up with my junk account because they said they had a lot of trouble with users from that ISP. ...? Blacklist an entire ISP that has probably 1 million users?

Anyway, it was a throw away username and I didn't realize I would be here after 3 months.

Didn't realize I would enjoy vaping so much, be successful in quiting smoking, and also that there was so incredibly much to learn.

It amazes me that the subculture is so deep and I hadn't even noticed it before.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
I did some long haul trucking years ago right around the time that the internet was really getting off the ground, you know back when Windows didn't have a number or letters after it? Well when I was driving for my first company on my test run with an old grizzled trucker, he told me I needed a CB handle and pinned Ratman on me as the RAT are my initials.

Right after that I got my first computer, a shiny new 386 with 8mb hard drive and AOL and needed a username so I chose my newly appointed CB handle of Ratman and have been using that ever since for forum names. I don't particularly care for the image it brings of a creepy sad fellow with a dozen rats for pets but been using it too long to change now.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I don't particularly care for the image it brings of a creepy sad fellow with a dozen rats for pets but been using it too long to change now.

Pssst....buddy...the avatar that looks like Jesus with an energy drink isn't much better than the guy with pet rats :laugh:

Kidding of course. Congrats on the vaping after many years!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
My handle is "StereoDreamer", because all the good "vape" plays on words were alreay taken, and I didn't want to run the risk of getting branded as politically incorrect by using something gun related. Well, all that, and one of my other hobbies is high-end audio gear.

My current stereo is a pair of Martin Logan Scenario's for the front, driven by a pair of Carver Silver 7t's. Center channel is a Martin Logan Logos driven by a Carver M-500t. Rear channels are Celestion 5's driven by my Sony receiver. Subwoofer is a Velodyne F1200. There is a Carver C-4000t preamp in the tape loop of the receiver, to provide Sonic Holography when I want it.

Digital front end is a Sony DVP-ND3100ES driving a Benchmark DAC-1 D/A converter via a White Zombie Audio silver coax digital cable.

Analog front end is a radically re-built Technics SL-1350 turntable (Sumiko Blue Point cartridge, Sumiko carbon fiber headshell, Sumiko silver headshell leads, hand-built silver tonearm leads, Tiffany gold plated jacks)

All interconnects are White Zombie Audio pure silver conductor cables.

Speaker cables for the mains are Nordost Solar Winds. Center and rears are cables with Monster 12ga flat wire.

The "dreamer" part is because I'm STILL not completely satisfied with the sound of my rig, and I'm always dreaming up new ways to improve it, or thinking about what my next upgrade is going to be...

Oh, and if anyone gets any wise ideas about "relieving" me of my stereo gear, my other hobby is USPSA shoting, and I carry a .45 ALL the time when I'm at home... :glare:

Last edited:

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Stereodreamer;

Guns are good with me at least. Now that I have WAY too many mods...money saved not smoking is going that direction. I'm going to get a .45 next, maybe the 1911 I have always lusted after.

If you are looking at 1911's you HAVE to look at the double-stack Para Ordnance models. I have a P-14.45 that use as a daily carry piece and in USPSA, and it is a fantastic piece...

Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Pistol Search Results

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
If you are looking at 1911's you HAVE to look at the double-stack Para Ordnance models. I have a P-14.45 that use as a daily carry piece and in USPSA, and it is a fantastic piece...

Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Pistol Search Results

We can take this to PM if anyone suggests....

The double stack defeats the purpose, no? I looked at them...but making it twice as thick makes it hard to fit IWB. I do love the para. When it comes down to it, I can't decide if I want shiney and pretty or basic black. My others are basic black so I lean towards "flashy". I am afraid of getting into the 1911 community...I have a bit of a personality flaw with buying toys :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread