What happened to Members Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM_ALL_IN

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
NE
Post counts aren't going to happen.

And with the complaining about location, most will see that it's not that accurate, if it's even used.

It's your forum and obviously your call to run it however you like, but when the paying members are asking for very simple and basic features, it doesn't sound great to say "it isn't going to happen." These are bottom line features they're asking for that help people relate to the discussion.

Take a look at slickdeals.net. They get a ton more traffic than here, there's no lag, and the setup is perfect.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, thanks for what you've done to move closer to vb :- )

No thanks for moving from vb.

A few other things:

Marked forum as read by double clicking on the ecf bubble for each forum.
Set the default in search to 'Most recent' rather than 'Relevance'.
Add time parameters and 'ascending' and 'descending' dates to search.

Reactions: Katya

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
vB is horrid, outdated, and the code is over a decade old. We will not be looking to recreate ECF into looking like vBulletin. Unfortunately, some of the little things that were included in the core software with vBulletin is not in the core software with XenForo. And that is most likely by design as the primary coders for XF were also the primary coders for vB 10 years ago.

Reactions: Katya

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
vB is horrid, outdated, and the code is over a decade old. We will not be looking to recreate ECF into looking like vBulletin. Unfortunately, some of the little things that were included in the core software with vBulletin is not in the core software with XenForo. And that is most likely by design as the primary coders for XF were also the primary coders for vB 10 years ago.

Yeah, I was just going by user friendly stuff - something that is less of a value to some.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
some of the little things that were included in the core software with vBulletin is not in the core software with XenForo. And that is most likely by design as the primary coders for XF were also the primary coders for vB 10 years ago.

That's funny... I didn't realize that.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I just Noticed that the Join Date and Locations are Back.

Right On.

Awesome. =)

One thing I havent figured out yet... how does one open the latest post in a thread? We used to have the arrow that indicated it. I've been opening to the last page of the thread and scrolling to the last one. Is that the only way to get there?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Awesome. =)

One thing I havent figured out yet... how does one open the latest post in a thread? We used to have the arrow that indicated it. I've been opening to the last page of the thread and scrolling to the last one. Is that the only way to get there?

Yes, there is--click on the time of the posting--right under the last poster's name--it's either a time stamp or something like "a minute ago."

Reactions: Richie G

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Awesome. =)

When you click on a Watched Thread, it takes you to the Last Unread Post.

As to going to the Last Post in a Thread? Not Sure?

Reactions: Richie G

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
It's your forum and obviously your call to run it however you like, but when the paying members are asking for very simple and basic features, it doesn't sound great to say "it isn't going to happen."

However, other paying members are asking to keep it the way it is (not show post counts).

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
However, other paying members are asking to keep it the way it is (not show post counts).

I haven't seen anyone asking to not show post counts; but since we were told that including post counts like we did previously might interfere with the forum's performance, we agreed that we could live without them. :)

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
So you prefer not to see post counts? Any specific reasoning?

I think it's useless information that leads to padding and an ill-conceived sense of accomplishment. It lends itself to members posting instead of reading. Someone will see a topic or question in the first post and they tend to type a reply without reading the thread to see if it's been covered. There's other reasons for this, of course, but displaying a post count lends itself to this type of behavior.

Say someone has 10,000 posts. What does that tell you? Nothing really. They might have received all of those posts guessing numbers in a contest. Meanwhile, someone with 100 posts might have used all of those posts to educate and help other vapors. Which person would you rather take advice from? Not to mention, there's areas of the forum dedicated to helping folks (i.e. Co-Ops) where posts don't even count.

IMO, it's a useless unit of measure, and I'd rather value a post based on it's own merits rather than a number under someone's name (for the record, I feel mostly the same way about join date. Length of time on the forum does not necessarily equate to knowledge on the subject).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think it's useless information that leads to padding and an ill-conceived sense of accomplishment. It lends itself to members posting instead of reading. Someone will see a topic or question in the first post and they tend to type a reply without reading the thread to see if it's been covered. There's other reasons for this, of course, but displaying a post count lends itself to this type of behavior.

Say someone has 10,000 posts. What does that tell you? Nothing really. They might have received all of those posts guessing numbers in a contest. Meanwhile, someone with 100 posts might have used all of those posts to educate and help other vapors. Which person would you rather take advice from? Not to mention, there's areas of the forum dedicated to helping folks (i.e. Co-Ops) where posts don't even count.

IMO, it's a useless unit of measure, and I'd rather value a post based on it's own merits rather than a number under someone's name (for the record, I feel mostly the same way about join date. Length of time on the forum does not necessarily equate to knowledge on the subject).

I am sure that there are Some who Post to Boost their post count. But I think they are a Very Small percentage of the Total Membership of the ECF.

I think Most People just Post when they see something that they want to Reply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread