Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
What is the best speed to drive? It depends on more information

Right?

Wattage really doesn't mean anything without the other factors taken into consideration. Wattage is not heat, it's electricity. A better question would be "what temperature is the best to vape?" -- and even then there's still a range of answers depending on personal preference (although for temperature there is a definitive "don't go higher than this").

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
Right?

Wattage really doesn't mean anything without the other factors taken into consideration. Wattage is not heat, it's electricity. A better question would be "what temperature is the best to vape?" -- and even then there's still a range of answers depending on personal preference (although for temperature there is a definitive "don't go higher than this").
Very good comment.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Depending on the efficiency of the device wattage pretty much directly relates to heat generated. However how much mass you are heating does greatly figure into the equation.
As an example if you have a stove burner on a certain setting and put 1 cup of water on there it will boil a lot faster than if you put 10 cups of water on there. All at the same wattage.

in the vaping world a 32 gauge coil will heat up much faster with less wattage than a 24 gauge coil will at the same wattage.
And how much wet wicking is in contact with the coil also impacts the how much wattage is required to raise the coil to a temperature sufficient to vaporize liquid from the wicking material.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
A little 32 ga 1/16 inch diameter microcoil with cotton wicking will vape as much as it can without drying out the wicking material at maybe 12 watts maximum and will work fine at 6-8 watts. On the other hand a 24 gauge coil with a 2.5 mm diameter filled full of wet wick will take probably 30 watts to make any decent vapor. of course when it does reach vaping temperature it will make LOTS more vapor too.

Right?

I agree we should really be speaking of Joules, but one Joule of work is pretty much directly proportional to one Watt.

The joule (/ˈdʒuːl/ or sometimes /ˈdʒaʊl/), symbol J, is a derived unit of energy, work, or amount of heat in the International System of Units.[1] It is equal to the energy transferred (or work done) when applying a force of one newton through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N·m), or in passing an electric current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm for one second. It is named after the English physicistJames Prescott Joule (1818–1889). [Wikipedia, emphasis mine.]

So, yes, Wattage is proportional to Temperature and I think we are fairly safe using the units interchangeably in the vaping context.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I agree we should really be speaking of Joules, but one Joule of work is pretty much directly proportional to one Watt.

The joule (/ˈdʒuːl/ or sometimes /ˈdʒaʊl/), symbol J, is a derived unit of energy, work, or amount of heat in the International System of Units.[1] It is equal to the energy transferred (or work done) when applying a force of one newton through a distance of one metre (1 newton metre or N·m), or in passing an electric current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm for one second. It is named after the English physicistJames Prescott Joule (1818–1889). [Wikipedia, emphasis mine.]

So, yes, Wattage is proportional to Temperature and I think we are fairly safe using the units interchangeably in the vaping context.

Also known by some of us a watt/second. A different way of measuring power. virtually the same thing just takes time into consideration.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
But joules doesn't necessarily equate to a given temperature. The amount of "work" (joules) required to heat a .5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm coil is VASTLY different. Subsequently, the amount of wattage required to heat the coil is different.

And we're primarily speaking about "best" in terms of "least likely to generate formaldehyde" (at least that seems like what we're talking about). In this case, joules would have nothing to do with it, and temperature (F/C) would be a much better way to calculate whether you are or aren't vaping in a suitable range.

Therefore, there is no one "best" wattage.

Reactions: EBates
But joules doesn't necessarily equate to a given temperature. The amount of "work" (joules) required to heat a .5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm coil is VASTLY different. Subsequently, the amount of wattage required to heat the coil is different.

And we're primarily speaking about "best" in terms of "least likely to generate formaldehyde" (at least that seems like what we're talking about). In this case, joules would have nothing to do with it, and temperature (F/C) would be a much better way to calculate whether you are or aren't vaping in a suitable range.

Therefore, there is no one "best" wattage.

I entirely agree that "best" wattage will depend on device, battery, load etc. I reiterate that I was merely commenting in the context of those I myself currently use. But also that those are safer and probably healthier settings in regard to the open formaldehyde question, and especially for new and/or inexperienced vapers. I've no idea of the OP's level of experience, but I decided to err on the side of caution in my initial response to the thread.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
hi, i have read that vaping with high wattage would generate a lot formaldehyde.
what's the best wattage to vape?

the best wattage to vape at depends on the coil you are using.
you start low and raise the wattage gradually until you find the sweet spot.

bigger coils need more wattage.

Msand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2014
WI
I'm not going to check every coil manufacturer out there, but Aspire rates their coils to: 1.6 ohm (3.3v - 5v) 1.8 ohm (3.3v - 6v), so 1.6 ohm (6.8w - 15w) 1.8 ohm ( 6w - 20w). I use the 1.8 ohm coils, and right around 12 watts is my personal sweet spot, but it looks like it is rated to go up to 20 watts.

Aspire - Aspire Nautilus Tank Clearomizer

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Best wattage is usually with resistances somewhere between .15 and .25 ohm, depending on the number of coils and wire gauge. unregulated. I don't feel like opening ohmslawcalculator right now, but thats probably somewhere under 100 watts, factoring in voltage drop.

But, I guess since this is the new members forum and nobody trusts the new members, you should just start at 5 watts. And read about ohms law, and batteries, and coil building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread