Status
Not open for further replies.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I think every atomizer vendor/maker says not to do it if they mention it at all.

Almost everyone who recommends a cleaning procedure says they do it, knowing they're not supposed to.

It seems like all it's going to do is burn the wick and wear out the coil if it's actually dry or vaporize whatever's left on it if it's not…which would mean the rest of your cleaning wasn't good enough. Does it just boil alcohol/water off?

I'm wondering what is it supposed to do that I'm not getting?

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
dry burn is to cook the residues off the coil. After a while of vaping residues build on the coils, the resistance will increase from the juice and thats why our carts and attys start producing less vapor and eventually give up the ghost so to speak. Dry burning the residues off occasionally helps them last longer. Theres a learning curve with dry burning though so short controlled fires are neccessary or you could easily pop a coil. I get them glowing then release for a second or so then fire again all while blowing on the coil.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Wicks are made from a silica material that is fireproof. The coil can burn out while dry burning, but a steady hand and a little practice and you can do it without damaging the coil. Washing can be enough, but you have to let it sit overnight to dry. Dry burns let you burn off the residual juice baked onto the coil and allow you to refill it and vape immediately. Dry burning probably does shorten the life of the coil, but if it needs a burn off, it's either do it or toss it. Some do an alcohol soak and let it dry overnight. Only use alcohol that you would drink, like Everclear or Vodka. Rubbing alcohol isn't really good for an atomizer.

Dry burns should only be done after doing a water wash. A dry burn with juice around the coil area will just bake and burn the juice onto the coil. Washing an atomizer consists of running hot water from the tap through the barrel for a while to wash out juices and partially clean the coil. After washing, do a dry burn. Put on glasses to protect your eyes in case a drop pops out at your face. Look down into the atomizer and press the fire button. Hold it and listen to the sizzle. When you see a reddish glow, release the button. Pulse the button until the coil glows at a dull red level. Don't let it get bright or you may pop the coil wire. Just find the on-off sequence that will keep it glowing dull red. This should be done in a semi-dark room to allow you to see the glow at the lowest point. Wisps of smoke will emerge from the tube from time to time. This is residual juice being burned off. When you are through, blow the atty out and refill your cart with juice.

Never dry burn a carto, you'll cook the polyfill filler material. If it doesn't taste right, toss it and open a new one.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Dry burning can be an effective Cleaning technique and is Relatively Safe if done Properly.

If done Improperly, well, the term “Went out in a Blaze of Glory” will apply.

A Dry Burn should be done on a Atty or Filler-Less Carto After it has Cleaned and Dried. After Dry Burning, I like to rinse out the Atty and or Filler-Less Carto before filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread