What is up with this firing pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas

I replaced the firing pin on my (from the classifieds) Reo Grand LP after I got fed up with inconsistent firing issues. I found the pin was a bit warped from a heavy hand, and a massive glob of some unknown soldering material. Now the seller had stated it had been "upgraded to sub-ohm contacts by a third party." Is this the normal route? Do I need to be wary of sub-ohming on the new firing pin I ordered from Rob in the last month? It is firing well and consistent and on an almost feather light trigger now. Thanks for all the help. Cheers!

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
looks like someone added solder to the end to shorten the throw. Contact Rob at reosmods and ask him since he made these would be best bet. I doubt there is any danger using it the way it is, but with such a short throw, you would need to take care that the button isn't inadvertently pressed when you don't want it to fire.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yeah looks like solder. Like doots said, short through in the switch and looks dangerous to use as it may fire on it's own.

I'd personally send it in for a New stainless steel 510 connection and new gold contacts so it works properly from here on out like a new reo.

New contacts are best as there's really not much to do like the old ones in that you don't need to file them to clean.. just add a drop of detoxit to your battery possitive contact from time to time to keep it good and arc free.

Reactions: jifjifjif

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
Well I did already replace this pin, it wasn't firing consistently anyway. I might try and desolder it and hold it as a backup, but only for emergencies.

I've put new contacts in, ordered from Rob, almost a week after I got the Reo. What's the difference in the new 510 and the old? What does the refit cost? I'm not sure I want to be without the Reo too long, and I haven't quite drank enough kool-ade to just buy a second Reo.

Reactions: JC Okie

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The new 510 connection is adjustable, from the top, using an Allen key, which is handy for 'indexing' your atomizer. Also, the bottle tube slips on and off, without the need for glue. All the newest Reos come with the new 510. I just got a new Reo, and it's my first with the new 510. I have 3 Reos that have the older style 510, but have the gold contacts. The new 510 is nice, but I see no reason to send in my 3 that have the older style, for now. I still have a couple rebuild kits in my spares box, and the Reos work fine. If I didn't have the extra kits, I'd probably send them in.

Reactions: Debadoo

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Personally I've done 2 rebuilds on the old 510 and I ended up stripping the nipple over tightening it. Thing leaked for a month before I ended up ordering another to fix it.

Then finally sent it in with another for the new ss 510. After seeing videos on swapping contacts on the new ss 510 I wouldn't attempt a new contact swap unless it has the ss 510 as its much stronger and I don't think one would strip or break the nipple tightening it. That and the ease of replacing the tube without glue is sweet.

I've dropped 2 of my reos perfectly on the atty and it bent the 510 threads on the mod with the old 510 Connection. I like knowing if I drop it that's not gona happen again With the strong stainless steel threads.

Reactions: Debadoo

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm very careful with my mods. I've yet to ever drop one, Reo or otherwise (knock on wood). I carry mods around like they are raw eggs. I do like the adjustable feature of the new connector, where I can index the atty, without using an assortment of various size o rings. I'm kind of OCD about locating the air holes the way I want them. I'll probably send my 3 Reos with the old connectors in, eventually. Maybe after I get Reo #5, so that I'll have 2 in service, while the others are away.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
Well, I'm thinking about buying a second Reo and then sending this one in for the new 510 and a general tune up... If that's a thing. It's working better now that I've replaced the firing pin, but some times I still have issues. Noalox helps, but not quite enough. If I could just get the darned thing to fire every time I would be in paradise.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Well, I'm thinking about buying a second Reo and then sending this one in for the new 510 and a general tune up... If that's a thing. It's working better now that I've replaced the firing pin, but some times I still have issues. Noalox helps, but not quite enough. If I could just get the darned thing to fire every time I would be in paradise.

Should hit everytime. If one is using old batteries that the top connecti I n are all pitted from arching in the past, I'd get new bats quick before trashing the new gold fire pin.

Yeah might be a good idea to grab another and send that one in.. 510 pin might not be fully tight on the possitive contact.. it's tuff cause turn it too hard and you can break or strip it wasy.. I've done it. Then it would be a loose connection.

Thst would be a thing of the past after the new ss 510. Easy to change contacts and no worries.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
#2 is already on the way! Same day I place the order to have it leave the city of origin is astounding. Should sign for it Monday before my vacation is over Wednesday. It's a black anodized LP, went solid because I'm thinking I'll swap the doors between the 2. (giving me a metallic red and black two tone affair) Button covers for both. I'm looking forward to it.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
And Number 2 is here!! Did the door swap, and rebuilt my Odin. Been playing swap the Reo all day. Like the new one, no problems at all. Oddly enough I think Reo Number 1 is afraid of being replaced, because it's be working like a charm all day.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Riff send the old reo in anytime

Please put
a note with your email address and a brief description of the problem . Also
empty any e juice in the mod and remove the bottle . It helps to put a tissue or napkin around the tube . Please clean the mod if its a mechanical mod flush the mod with hot water and soap . I will send a invoice once the mod is repaired
Reosmods LLC
120 Ida Jim Rd
Alfred Maine 04002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread