When the B&M kid just won't give you the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
It's a business owners responsibility to train their employees. Maybe that's not a given, but I thought it was.
That being said, the fact that the world is full of dimwit employees tells me that, if I don't want to be inconvenienced, I should check my goods at the time of sale. I do the same thing buying bullets, tools, car parts....maybe im just a rarity. This is really a ridiculous thread, but I find it hard to just walk away...

I know the feeling. Like rubbernecking around a car crash.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm actually rather surprised at the condemnation of the employee based on the little information provided. I can think of quite a few contributing factors in how the owner set up and runs his business that would cause this or similar mistakes. That doesn't excuse what happened, but maybe the target needs to be better identified before taking pot shots.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It's not the kid's fault. Whatever happened to proper training? Where is that kid's supervisor? The OP surely can't be the only one that has had problems.
You would think someone would have complained. Where is the owner in all this?
Consistently bad service is a sign of a consistently bad owner.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Mike, I read a lot of what you post and respect your opinion but it's really no that simple. And while my example is not someone that owns the business I believe it's comparable.

I have a manager that works for me, 3 years of service. Our mentality is to mentor and guide an employee but the first thing we explain to them is that if they want to be successful all they have to do is read, just read. Everything in our facility is item number and lot specific. This is similar, it's brand and ohms. If you read it's really not that difficult, a very small amount of effort to get it right. We are internet based so it's not someone stepping up to a counter it sent electronically. Honestly, the people that don't make it are the one's that don't make the effort. In this example how much training is required, honestly without training you can stand behind the counter, first day and if I walked in and asked for Uwell Crown .5ohm coils you would locate them and read the box. Premade coils from the majors (1.8ohm BVC Nautilus coils) really couldn't be marked any clearer.

Reading and the effort to complete a task correctly are baseline skill sets, or they used to be.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I never leave fast food places or vape shops without making sure I have exactly what I asked for.

But isn't that part of the bigger problem? And as someone mentioned in the thread people are looking to get paid $15 an hour to work in fast food restaurant's.

Reactions: Toronnah

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
4 actually. The first 3 times are someone else's fault.

Yes, check before buying and only buy there if you must. Voting with your pocketbook is very effective with small businesses competing with the internet.

On the other hand, I've had a spate of "getting sent the wrong coils" from two reputable online sellers lately - so there are no guarantees.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Buh buh buh McDonald's should always be 100% accurate because we do our own jobs with a strong work ethic.

100% is unrealistic but if the same adult person at McDs got your order wrong 3 times wouldn't you think maybe they should stick to the fry station instead of the register?
To stretch that analogy further:

Would you want that person advising a new vaper on say toppers for a SMPL?
Battery CDR?

A happy meal won't vent and turn into a pipe bomb.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
100% is unrealistic but if the same adult person at McDs got your order wrong 3 times wouldn't you think maybe they should stick to the fry station instead of the register?
To stretch that analogy further:

Would you want that person advising a new vaper on say toppers for a SMPL?
Battery CDR?

A happy meal won't vent and turn into a pipe bomb.

Personally I vote with my wallet. In my small town I refuse to patronize Wendy's and McDonald's because of poor service. When I need a burger I use one of the other fast food places.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Personally I vote with my wallet. In my small town I refuse to patronize Wendy's and McDonald's because of poor service. When I need a burger I use one of the other fast food places.

When I want a burger I fire up the grill.
:D
Fast food sux.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Reading and the effort to complete a task correctly are baseline skill sets, or they used to be.
@Marc411 I agree on what you say about having a work ethic. It sounds like
you have your own business. I can find no fault in the way you choose to run
it. You're doing it right. Good employee management is a significant part of
any business plan.
But,we are talking about this kid. Back in the day before business plans and
associates and goal orientated workplaces using modern management
techniques there were not very many for lack of better words supportive
and nurturing job opportunities. You made the grade or you didn't.
Back then we were better prepared scholastically and prepared morally
and mentally by our parents. In other words you did your best in school
and waited for the day you turned 18 and that one way pass out the
front door. Time to sink or swim. Today youth with there feelings of
entitlement (which they got from their parents) are not as adept at
entering the job market as we were in the past. Always in the future
their minds seem to be. Never on the path that leads there.
A smart kid (not talented,exceptional,or above average) would
take a position at your place and make the most of it. In exchange
for a skill set that would fare him or her well for their entire working
life. Unfortunately I don't see any of this going on at the OP's B&M.
I do not see it going on in many but by no means all sectors of
the service industry. Filling a position with a warm body seem's
to be a management decision. I agree with you that not only should
a new employee have basic skills. He or she should also have management
that see's that they use them and teach them something new along the way.
:2c:
Regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread