Which tank with Tesla stealth 40 for MTL newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papergirl

Jun 3, 2017
hi everyone
Brand new to vaping and to this forum so hope you can forgive stupid newbie questions!

I currently have an Apollo Ohm Go pen which I'm using 1.0 coils in. For a second device I'd like to try variable wattage and I'm pretty keen on a Tesla Stealth 40w (right size and I really like the way the tank is protected). The kit comes with a Shadow tank which takes upto 1.0 coils, I'm wondering what the advantage would be of getting a separate tank which takes higher resistance coils? I mean I get the difference between MTL coils and DL coils but what's the difference between a 1.0 coil and a 1.6 or 1.8? If I bought just the mod what would be a good tank to go with it to experiment with different coils (needs to be 23.5mm or less)? Ideally I'd like a tank that takes inexpensive and widely available coils.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: David Wolf

FloGrown

Aug 6, 2015
hi everyone
Brand new to vaping and to this forum so hope you can forgive stupid newbie questions!

I currently have an Apollo Ohm Go pen which I'm using 1.0 coils in. For a second device I'd like to try variable wattage and I'm pretty keen on a Tesla Stealth 40w (right size and I really like the way the tank is protected). The kit comes with a Shadow tank which takes upto 1.0 coils, I'm wondering what the advantage would be of getting a separate tank which takes higher resistance coils? I mean I get the difference between MTL coils and DL coils but what's the difference between a 1.0 coil and a 1.6 or 1.8? If I bought just the mod what would be a good tank to go with it to experiment with different coils (needs to be 23.5mm or less)? Ideally I'd like a tank that takes inexpensive and widely available coils.

Thanks in advance!
For MTL I'm currently looking into a Smok TFV4 micro or an Aspire Nautilus X mini (I think thats right lol), both are reviewed well and have good coil opts for higher ohm coils. A lower ohm option may be a Smok Spirals 22. For a lower cost option (under $20) maybe a Kanger Aerotank Plus--??? Haven't done as much research on that one, but I've chosen the few based on MTL, flavor, reviews, coil opts and fit (ht and diam) for the mini/micro sized mods since that's what I'm planning on getting next too. :) Good luck w/ your venture ! :)

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi Papergirl, welcome.
A lot of people confuse ohms and think below 1 is not for MTL and above one vice versa.
It;s all about the airflow design.
Just because the tesla shadow has a 1ohm coil, it doesn't mean it's a MTL coil.. in fact i am pretty sure i saw a review on it that it's a direct lung high airflow coil.

You want a 22mm tank for MTL that will fit in the stealth? try the ijoy elf or a nautilus 2. Both with coils (and cross compatible) from 0.5 to 1.8 ohm, ALL mtl coils.
Or you could try a triton mini and use the 0.15 nickel (TC mode, stealth 40w works with this) or the 1.2 and 1.8.. again both will fit in the elf and nautilus series.. I use the 0.15 at 22.4 watts and 420 - 440 faranheit for most of my mtl vaping.. and it's a 0.15 ohm coil! Again, ohms has nothing to do with it.
it's just that low ohms builds often pair with big power output which suits the cloud chasing crowd and hence why sub ohm coils got known as DL coils, but not all of them are.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
For MTL I'm currently looking into a Smok TFV4 micro or an Aspire Nautilus X mini (I think thats right lol), both are reviewed well and have good coil opts for higher ohm coils. A lower ohm option may be a Smok Spirals 22. For a lower cost option (under $20) maybe a Kanger Aerotank Plus--??? Haven't done as much research on that one, but I've chosen the few based on MTL, flavor, reviews, coil opts and fit (ht and diam) for the mini/micro sized mods since that's what I'm planning on getting next too. :) Good luck w/ your venture ! :)
avoid the micro.. was a big mistake for me.. in fact, i now officially hate smok MTL tanks.. bar the brit mini, which is the only one i still recommend.

ALL the others leak like a sieve, i am sick and tired of it. The other day i filled up my spirals (2nd fill) AF closed of course, put it on device, opened the AF a tad and had a few puffs.. decided i wanted to change the drip tip, pulled out the 510, and juice went everywhere, all over my DNA..
The exact same thing happens with the micro TFV4.. and you have to close the airflow so tight to get a decent MTL, that the high wattage makes the vape too warm.. it's really fiddly to get just right and leak on every refill.
Who knows, maybe the brit mini will leak if i try to change the drip tip too, but i haven't yet as i like the one included. I have so many tanks here as many of us do, and only smok do this.. i had never seen such a thing before in my life..

BTW, as the vaping bogan says, smok really don't have a clue how to make a really GOOD MTL tank...

Heck, there are ton of tanks out there that take aspire triton coils.. put the 1.8 MTL coil in them at 13 watts and you have a great vape (high nic juice).. I would really reconsider that micro for MTL, i have 2 here (one bought one part of a kit so i could have both colours), not being used due to the leakage and ridiculous tweaking needed to get the airflow right.

Papergirl

Jun 3, 2017
Thanks everyone- I did think that lower resistance coils were only for DL so thanks for putting me right on that. I've done plenty of reading but clearly not enough! Thanks for the recommendations and I 'll check them out, I like the idea of an Aspire tank as the coils are so easily available here (UK). What's the main difference between the Nautilus 2 and the Triton 2?

Thanks again for the help and friendly welcome :)

Reactions: Vesh

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
i'll put it easy for you..
nautilus coils fit the nautilus mini/nautilus/nautilus 2/triton mini/kabuki/ijoy elf and vice versa for all of them.

Triton full size coils are much larger coils and fit a LOT of tanks, i wouldn't even know where to begin to name them all. Tobeco supertank/eleaf melo and of course the triton 1&2 (non mini) are a starting point.
You have much more variety of MTL coils with the nautilus range.. the only mtl coil in the full size triton range is the 1.8.. it's a fine coil, but all the other ones are for DL cloud chasing.

FloGrown

Aug 6, 2015
I'm personally not familiar w/ the dif of each one, as Vesh said- many of the coils are interchangeable. There's going to be their more entry lines and their more expensive tanks, but w/ as popular as they are I think it's mainly finding the one that you like the coil opts for that particular one along w/ the size, shape/style, and ml capacity. If you see one you really like, get on here and check around to see if anyone has had any probs w/ leaking or anything w/ that particular one :)
One thing to keep in mind is the tesla stealth you are looking at will limit you due to it having to fit inside a certain space diameter and be tall enough. Can always look into a micro or mini box that the tank sits on top if you want more tank opts. :thumbs:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
hi everyone

Thanks in advance!
Typically coils that aren't TC that are made for MTL have a narrower inside diameter for a tighter draw and 1.0 ohms and higher. 0.5 ohm coils are usually larger inside diameter and a looser draw which many MTL vapers don't want. It all depends on your preference. With temp control coils the resistances above don't apply, just research if the coils is for MTL.

Reactions: Vesh

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks everyone that's really helpful. I'm currently using a 1.0 coil with the airflow closed but I find it ok with the airflow open too. I think I'm gonna go to my local shop and experiment before buying.

Than is the Nice thing about going to a B&M Shop. You can Hold stuff in your hand and see that works with what you have.

BTW - I posted this BTW in another thread. Something to keep in mind if you decide to get a Tank Online.

BTW - You need a 22mm Diam. Tank witch is about 44mm/1.735" in height (without 510 connector or Drip Tip) or taller to use in a Tesla Stealth 40w.

If the Tank is much Shorted, it is a PITA to Screw/Unscrew it in the Mod.

The Opening in 24mm. So a 23mm Tank should work. I just have Never Tried one because I don't own any 23mm Tanks.

BTW2 - I run a Kanger SubTank/TopTank Mini in my Tesla. Fits Great. And the SubTank/TopTank Mini is a Great All-Around RTA.

BTW3 - Welcome to the ECF.

Papergirl

Jun 3, 2017
Than is the Nice thing about going to a B&M Shop. You can Hold stuff in your hand and see that works with what you have.

BTW - I posted this BTW in another thread. Something to keep in mind if you decide to get a Tank Online.

BTW2 - I run a Kanger SubTank/TopTank Mini in my Tesla. Fits Great. And the SubTank/TopTank Mini is a Great All-Around RTA.

BTW3 - Welcome to the ECF.
Thank you that info on the size is useful. I'm looking at the Triton mini but at 60mm tall plus driptip I think it might be too tall? Unfortunately no B&M where I am (UK) and shops tend to carry a limited range so need to research thoroughly before going in store to confirm!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you that info on the size is useful. I'm looking at the Triton mini but at 60mm tall plus driptip I think it might be too tall? Unfortunately no B&M where I am (UK) and shops tend to carry a limited range so need to research thoroughly before going in store to confirm!

A 60mm (plus Drip Tip) tall tank might kinda put a little Kibosh on the whole Compact Stealth thing.

But I dunno? It might Look OK.

:unsure:

Papergirl

Jun 3, 2017
Might help :) ..... Nauti X mini is 45-48 I believe and the melo 3 mini is just a few more w/ tip (it can take the triton coils too) and both are 22mm , don't remember the Nautilus mini's height, but a consideration in having a tank in a slot would be poss look for a top fill :) Lol, just my 2 cents :p
Can't see a Nautilus X mini, just a Nautilus X - it's only 35mm which I think will be too small. The Melo 3 looks like the perfect size though so looking at that - do you have any experience with this tank, any known issues I should be aware of?
And yes, definitely want a topfill!

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Can't see a Nautilus X mini, just a Nautilus X - it's only 35mm which I think will be too small. The Melo 3 looks like the perfect size though so looking at that - do you have any experience with this tank, any known issues I should be aware of?
And yes, definitely want a topfill!
you can get one MTL coil for the melo 3, it's called the ECML 0.75 coil. It works fine. Or you could use the triton coil as mentioned.
Nautilus X is a completely different thing to the nautilus and uses different coils. I personally am not a huge fan as i get lots of dry hits with it even at lower wattages. It's a very low tank as you say, but with the 4ML adapter kit for it, it suddenly becomes high enough to work in the stealth.

The triton mini is a bit tall, true.. but remember with these stealth setups, you want the drip tip clear of the top of the mod or it can be annoying and hit your face when you go for a puff.

Reactions: Papergirl

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Typically coils that aren't TC that are made for MTL have a narrower inside diameter for a tighter draw and 1.0 ohms and higher. 0.5 ohm coils are usually larger inside diameter and a looser draw which many MTL vapers don't want. It all depends on your preference. With temp control coils the resistances above don't apply, just research if the coils is for MTL.
yes and this is how it was pretty much until the last year.. but suddenly, joyetech did the first really low ohm pre built MTL coil with the ego one 1.0, and now slowly but surely 1 ohm and below have been coming out for MTL more commonly.

Reactions: Papergirl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread