Why Mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, since I've started nearly a month ago I read a tone of information about vaporizers. But out of all one thing I still haven't understood is why use mech mods?

I see why people love to use dripping atomizer, since you can rebuild its coils and further customize your experience, etc. But why do they commonly attach a dripping atomizer to a mech mod? Instead, why not use a nice electronical mod where you can tweak the voltage or wattage you want?

Thanks people.

Last edited:

erratum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Kansas City
Mech mods just work ... there's no chips or wires to go bad or to disconnect. Aesthetics .. some just like the looks better. Competition ... any Joe blow can build a coil in a regulated & crank up the wattage for clouds, but you need to tweak the build instead of the buttons on a mech mod. Old-school factor? Others?

I dunno. I've got a painted SMPL clone on the way to play around with & I don't care about clouds ... I guess simple factor is why I ordered it. I already have a "Slug" clone that I don't use, as I found I don't like the brass finish...I can smell it... so I thought I'd give it another (cheap) go.

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Because I could beat someone to death with it, and it will still work flawlessly. Mech mods are CLEAN and SIMPLE. I build my coils, so every single time I get exactly what I want.
SMPL.jpg
My SMPL original, with VPRS Thundercloud Dripper

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Eh, dunno.

I used a bunch of mech mods for the longest time, but once high-powered regulated mods became more easily accessible I totally ditched them. I don't really know why people continue to use them other than aesthetics. And aesthetically, I'll admit, a mech mod feels great in the hand. If you've got one with a nice firing button, it can really be a pleasure to pull on.

It bugs me when people say they use mech mods because, "THEY HIT SO MUCH HARDER BRO". That's just flat-out not true. If you put the same atomizer on a regulated mod, set to 4.2V, and a mech mod with a fully charged battery, they SHOULD output the EXACT same amount of vapor. However, because of voltage drop/nominal battery voltage dropping with use of the battery, this is never really the case. The same build that chucks at 4.2V on a regulated mod kinda just fizzles on my mech mod. It's not entirely unvapeable, but it's not the same experience.

I use regulated mods for consistency's sake, primarily, along with the ability to build a larger range of coil resistances while still maintaining a similar, pleasurable, experience -- which also related to consistency. I'm not one to rebuild every week -- hell, my .6 ohm Doge build has been in there for what.. 8 months now? I don't know, its been a whiiile.

But yeah, it's definitely a matter of preference, but don't let anyone tell you that you should use a mech mod because it "hits harder".

Also, generally, regulated mods are prohibited in cloud competitions. Personally that's not of concern for me, since I think cloud competitions are hilariously silly, but whatever. If that's important to you, that's a reason to use mech mods.

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Because I could beat someone to death with it, and it will still work flawlessly. Mech mods are CLEAN and SIMPLE. I build my coils, so every single time I get exactly what I want. View attachment 458686 My SMPL original, with VPRS Thundercloud Dripper
This. That's why. Haha. Seriously though. My mech has been through hell and back and still works like its brand new. I dropped my IStick 20w one time and had to buy a new one. This SMPL has been thrown from the roof of my truck, kicked down a flight of stairs, and even dropped in the toilet once (damn right I fished it out, $120!) and it still works. I use my mech because it looks slick as hell and it can stand up to the hurt I put it through and still hit back like a Mack truck.

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Eh, dunno.

I used a bunch of mech mods for the longest time, but once high-powered regulated mods became more easily accessible I totally ditched them. I don't really know why people continue to use them other than aesthetics. And aesthetically, I'll admit, a mech mod feels great in the hand. If you've got one with a nice firing button, it can really be a pleasure to pull on.

It bugs me when people say they use mech mods because, "THEY HIT SO MUCH HARDER BRO". That's just flat-out not true. If you put the same atomizer on a regulated mod, set to 4.2V, and a mech mod with a fully charged battery, they SHOULD output the EXACT same amount of vapor. However, because of voltage drop/nominal battery voltage dropping with use of the battery, this is never really the case. The same build that chucks at 4.2V on a regulated mod kinda just fizzles on my mech mod. It's not entirely unvapeable, but it's not the same experience.

I use regulated mods for consistency's sake, primarily, along with the ability to build a larger range of coil resistances while still maintaining a similar, pleasurable, experience -- which also related to consistency. I'm not one to rebuild every week -- hell, my .6 ohm Doge build has been in there for what.. 8 months now? I don't know, its been a whiiile.

But yeah, it's definitely a matter of preference, but don't let anyone tell you that you should use a mech mod because it "hits harder".

Also, generally, regulated mods are prohibited in cloud competitions. Personally that's not of concern for me, since I think cloud competitions are hilariously silly, but whatever. If that's important to you, that's a reason to use mech mods.

I really can't agree with the statement that a regulated mod can chuck like my mech can. A regulated mod cannot draw the amperage that my mech can. It will blow the protection circuit every single time. I'm drawing about 25a on my mod, I know it is risky, but I know enough about it to be safe using it.

What amperage can YOU draw?

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
I really can't agree with the statement that a regulated mod can chuck like my mech can. A regulated mod cannot draw the amperage that my mech can. It will blow the protection circuit every single time. I'm drawing about 25a on my mod, I know it is risky, but I know enough about it to be safe using it.

On my comp build I put about 28 amps of load on this VTC4. Can't do that even with my Sigelei!

Reactions: Margate69

khalidmna

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Because I could beat someone to death with it, and it will still work flawlessly. Mech mods are CLEAN and SIMPLE. I build my coils, so every single time I get exactly what I want. View attachment 458686 My SMPL original, with VPRS Thundercloud Dripper

wow that's the type of device i've been looking for....it just looks so elegant and cigarish....where do i get one?

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I don’t sub-ohm and I’m not a cloud chaser. Here are some of the reasons why I continue to use and prefer mechanical mods to regulated VV/VW devices:

1) Form factor – I regularly use small mechanical mods with 18350 batteries that are easy to pocket and carry around. Although there are regulated devices that take 18350 batteries, they are bigger because they need to include electronics.

2) Durability – Like most consumer electronic devices, I believe that a regulated mod is ultimately doomed to fail (even if you baby it and take great care of it). I like that as long as I keep my mechanical mods safe and clean that they will work forever.

3) Simplicity – I like that my mechanical mods are only comprised of a handful of parts and that they’re easy to dismantle and completely clean. There’s only a single button and no need to scroll through menus and I like that. I typically make 1.3ohm coils and I vape between 10W and 13W throughout the charge of a battery. It really doesn’t matter to me that every puff isn’t the same.

4) Aesthetics – I have a bunch of mechanical mods that employ different materials (SS, brass, copper, and aluminum) and I personally find them more visually appealing than any of the regulated devices that I’ve seen.

This is what I'm vaping on right now - you're not going to find a smaller regulated mod, this guy is built from a solid piece of aluminum with no electronics to fail, it has a single firing button that locks, and I love the look of it:

5C5DA1F1-53E2-4DFC-B330-35C05F23C501_zpsrmo6ghrg.jpg

Last edited:

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
wow that's the type of device i've been looking for....it just looks so elegant and cigarish....where do i get one?

SMPL is made by Epic design studios. I highly recommend an original ($120), but there are clones available as well. The dripper is not on the cheap either ($85 at a brick and mortar) but I cannot believe how well this thing cooks.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014

Personally I don't need higher than 20A. But if I did, there's a Mosfet chip that allows nearly 200A with dual 26650's in series, so...

An added benefit/safety feature to that is that the chip will fry long before your batteries explode.

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I use mechanical mods purely for the indestructible nature of them. I'm so afraid of spending big $$$ on a fancy regulated mod just to have some little wire or chip go bad to where I have a big dollar brick. If I burn up a contact, I put in a new one and keep going. Sure, that super vape starts to degrade, for me at about 3.7V , but I check the batteries and just replace the low ones and throw them on a charger. I can see the consistent vape answer, and that may be true, at least until that teeny little piece of circuit board gives out, then it's just consistently no vape:).

Reactions: Lessifer

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Plastic boxes lack the sexy
Poldiac UMA.jpg

images-41.jpg

download-1.jpg

My 3 fav mods
Poldiac/Kayfun
Nemesis/dome hybrid
Nemesis/origen dripper

Once you actually settle into a vape style that doesn't demand tinkering with power all the time or need 60 watts to run good, what more do you really need beyond a fresh battery every day.

You hear a lot about dropping power but in a semi standard setup, its not the issue many claim it to be

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Personally I don't need higher than 20A. But if I did, there's a Mosfet chip that allows nearly 200A with dual 26650's in series, so...

An added benefit/safety feature to that is that the chip will fry long before your batteries explode.

Do you not see the problem here? An unregulated parallel box mod WILL pull 200a and blow up the batteries. A regulated one will blow the protection circuit at WELL under that, guaranteed. Therefore, there is no regulated mod that can draw the power than a mech can, end of story.

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is what I'm vaping on right now - you're not going to find a smaller regulated mod, this guy is built from a solid piece of aluminum with no electronics to fail, it has a single firing button that locks, and I love the look of it:

5C5DA1F1-53E2-4DFC-B330-35C05F23C501_zpsrmo6ghrg.jpg
Classy mod, I like it!

Reactions: Firestorm

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Do you not see the problem here? An unregulated parallel box mod WILL pull 200a and blow up the batteries. A regulated one will blow the protection circuit at WELL under that, guaranteed. Therefore, there is no regulated mod that can draw the power than a mech can, end of story.

Does a Mosfet chip not count as a regulated mod?

There's a chip, and it's regulating the voltage of the batteries.. Therefore..?

Or does it need to have a screen and be variable wattage/voltage for it to be considered "regulated"?

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Does a Mosfet chip not count as a regulated mod?

There's a chip, and it's regulating the voltage of the batteries.. Therefore..?

Or does it need to have a screen and be variable wattage/voltage for it to be considered "regulated"?

Essentially it is a mech with a protection chip. Either way, with a protection chip, you cannot match the power output of a Mechanical Mod unregulated.:shock:

Reactions: eason
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread