Wild Nicotine Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Since I have been using VG / ecigs, etc. I have noticed some VERY strange dreams. Many of them are repeated dreams of things that I would rather not see or do again.

Before I started using ecigs again, I was nicotine / tobacco free for about 4-5 months. I started on ecigs...out of boredom I guess. Ever since (that was about 2-3 months ago) I have been having odd, disturbing dreams of all kinds of subjects.

Sometimes I take Benadryl at night to help me sleep. I have heard that mixing ecigs (or any nicotine) with Benadryl might be the cause of these wierd dreams.

Have any of you been experiencing odd dreams that seem to coincide with your ecig use? I used to smoke and dip and I don't remember anything like this before.

Thanks.

Its the benedryal.

ridethespiral

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton AB, Canada
I had three weird dreams since I started vaping. One was pretty disturbing, and the one last night wasn't so bad, just very weird lol. I assume this is because I dropped down to 12mg so the dreams settled a bit as well.

Whenever I become aware that I am dreaming, I end up sleeping for like 12+ hours and it is very difficult to wake up. Last night I slept for 14 hours. :blink:

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
woah, thats weird. Sometimes I get lucid dreams but I never found it hard to wake up :O

I'm an insomniac. I can't vape within 30 minutes of sleeping or else I won't cross the threshold into sleep no matter how tired I am. I would say that your weird dreams are from the benadryl and the nicotine plays a part as well. I get different dreams with nicotine if I take a nico-break for a while, but all of these are pleasant. A little lucidity to the dreams.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
The last time I tried quitting using patches, I had the most AWFUL dreams! Well... I say awful... one was quite pleasant!

I had gone blind and yet I could still see...I found myself at a Scottish wedding fair, full of tartan and things like that, where I saw a girl I knew from high school but was never really friends with. Then, the entire cast of House was chasing me. I found my way to a massive sculture thing which sort of looked like a very tall narrow 'Birds Nest Stadium' from the 2008 Olympics. I climbed all the way to the top and all the way back down to the bottom so I was inside the sculpture and just as I got to the bottom, there was Omar Epps (Foreman), staring into the sculpture and looking at me... he has beautiful eyes...

Another dream was that Cameron and Chase (again on House, I watched a lot of House at the time) had split up and were sharing their house. One got the bedroom, one got the living room etc. I was a guest and it was really awkward...

I'm also told by a friend who slept on my floor one night that I cried in my sleep...

Have you tried lowering your nicotine in the evenings before bedtime? I still get the occasional funny dream (the other night my supervisor said my work was a disappointment and I'd let him down although I think this was more of a subconscious fear than nic induced!) but they're nowhere near as crazy as on the patches. If it's a real concern, try lower nic at night and higher in the mornings...x

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
When I smoked analogs, I used to struggle remembering my dreams. The only time I could remember them was when I would be woken at 4am by the alarm clock, I'm a bus driver so work some weird shift patterns. I guess I was still in the middle of REM sleep, so being woken suddenly at that time the dream would still be fresh in my mind. Most of the dreams would be embarrassing, awkward, scary or down-right horror filled (just think of Saw and the Exorcist combined) :ohmy:

Since I quit analogs and started vaping full time, my dreams are more vivid, I wake up feeling a lot better - no more nightmares. The only problem is, a lot of the dreams seem to be X-rated. I feel like a 16 year old lad again (the male vapers will know what I mean) :laugh:
I wonder if it's partly due to increased blood flow since quitting analogs. I've not felt this good in years - 44 going on 16 :pervy:

LaraPaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Northern VA/DC Metro
Nicotine definitely has an effect on my dreams! It's similar to when I first started taking Zoloft. I am so acclimated to it now the Zoloft is like swallowing a tic tac and it's kind of nice to have the twisted, vivid dreams again. Even when they are unpleasant dreams, I just feel so much more balanced when I have a very active dreaming world. One of my most recent is a dream about the weather.. it was summer and we were about to hit this diabolical heat wave with temps predicted to hit 130 deg Far. The dream was about me trying to make all these preparations but I kept getting off track and nothing was getting done. It was a terrifying dream but I am sort of an oddball who thinks dreams like that are kinda cool and there is nothing like that moment of realization when you wake up and realize it was just a dream. It always puts my everyday worries in great perspective. :)

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
I wonder if removing all the other chemicals from analogs from your body provokes your brain to produce these dreams? Last week I had two pretty insane dreams that had me shaken up for the rest of the day. One was overnight and the other was when I took a quick 45 minute nap. The dream I had with the nap felt like it was all day long, definately one of those dreams that seemed like it wouldn't end and was extremely life like. Being an EMT I'm used to getting dreams about certain calls that I'll never forget and sometimes they'll be replayed in my sleep but this one, the sights, smells, sounds, sensations.... everything felt like it was the real deal!

Now that I'm down to 2 or 3 analogs a day and vaping 1 to 2 ml's @ 24mg, I wonder if that was the initial symptoms of analog withdraw since I haven't had my dreams come anywhere as close to those two since then, and I really hope it stays that way too!

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
I have insane dreams as well. I'm on other medications as well, but I think nicotine may be having an effect, especially when I vape a lot before bed.

The worst ones are the ones when I'm dreaming about being asleep and I can't wake up. I can see the surroundings in the dream, but I can't move my body. Sometimes it feels like I barely breathe in the dream and it feels like if I don't wake up, I'll die. I'm not sure if this is some strange form of sleep paralysis or not, but it is very jarring. Other times I will have very vivid dreams involving people from my past that I haven't seen in years. Some dreams I have also involved violence against me or me being violent. I can also hear things like music and sound.

The other night I had one where one where I heard some eerie music and then some rain. There were two insanely loud claps of thunder, and this demon appeared by my window. I didn't want to look at it, but I could see its menacing shadow. It said, "I want your power." I felt really scared then woke up. Crazy, huh lol. When I have these dreams, my "dream self" doesn't know it's dream. Feels very real. I guess some people would want lucid dreams, but I don't. I also don't get them when I am really tired and have been up for 18+hours.

LaraPaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Northern VA/DC Metro
Sero - sounds like you may be having frequentl hypnagogic hallucinations. They're pretty harmless and happen to most people at times. Maybe seeing them as something physiological might help. :) Also if you try to write down everything that happens when you wake up and focus on it when you go to sleep and try to tell yourself what you would do to either change it or have more control over it could help you from feeling helpless during them. They can be quite scary, I had one once that involved seeing countless pennies flying through the universe. :blink: Maybe you can find a way to make them less scary or easier to ignore when they happen. Here is the wiki on them that gives the basic but you can dig deeper on other sites to learn more about them.

I think nicotine causes release of acetylcholine and acetylcholine is what the brain releases when REM sleep starts so maybe the nicotine could make the early sleep stages of sleep way more active before you get down to the deeper levels. Just a guess but I think it makes a lot of sense nicotine affects the brain just before and during sleep. I also think going to sleep when you have been awake an extra long time can contribute to the paralysis & hallucinations. Would be cool to get some brain geeks to weigh in on this. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Sero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2009
Spa City, AR
Thanks LaraPaw, interesting read. That really sounds like what I have been experiencing! Especially the auditory, visual hallucinations and the feeling of suffocation accompanied with the sleep paralysis. I'm not sure what the effect of nicotine is on them, but I have had them a bit more in the past few years when I've been vaping. Just glad it isn't very threatening.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
I had a bizarre one last night. I used to have the occasional nic-dream with the patch and very occasional but more intense after smoking a big cigar before bed. But I'm new to vaping and it has taken bizarre dreams to a new level.

Last night I vaped Halo Turkish Tobacco 18mg pretty heavy before bed..so somehow the slight bubbling gurgling went into my dream.

I dreamt that I was at the bathroom sink and was blowing out my nose and mouth this pudding lava like stuff. It was mostly brown but some yellow. My mother was by the bathroom door asking if I was okay. And I said "I've just got to get this stuff out!" (Maybe my body was trying to inform me that it didn't agree with all the nicotine before sleep.) But the 'goo' coming out was really weird. All bubbly with lots of air pockets and little sea shell crustacean things and pill bugs with little faces. And also thousands of tiny air pockets like that would be causes by gases from bacteria or other micro-organisms. It's kinda funny now but when I first woke I was a bit disturbed.

The other night before bed I saw the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So, that night I dreamt at first I was in that flying elevator then all of a sudden I realized I was stationary and in an big amusement park ride cart. It was in an odd dark corner of the park. I looked to my left and there were unrecognizable people there because it was dark on that side. I looked to my right and sitting there was this raggedy looking clown man with white hair and beard. His eyes got big, puffed his cheeks and started blowing and when he did there was a breeze everywhere around us. PPPPppppppffffffffft..............PPPPPPPpppppppfffffft. Kind of intervallically like a hot air balloon but with shorter intervals. And the sound was similar. I looked again and sitting next to the 'clown's' left was Ted Danson. And I said to him you look weird. He replied no I don't, no I don't I look .......ed up. Then they both morphed into what can only be described as 'Large Marge'(from Pee Wee's Big Adventure) versions of themselves and commenced the blowing again. The wind continued simultaneously with their blowing. {Wind, calm, wind, calm!} I looked in the sky and all the clouds for miles were moving simultaneously our way in time with the blowing. :facepalm:

I'm getting ready to vape some Turkish Tobacco now. Wonder what I'll dream tonight.....:unsure:

xanadu0324

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
Hilham, TN, USA
Gosh, I am so sorry that so many of you are having creepy dreams! I've been blessed with dreams on the other end of the spectrum...I've had a recurring dream for probably 3 or 4 nights (not in a row, but always a continuation) of my relationship with Damon Salvatore from the Vampire Diaries...rofl...i kid you not...not that I mind though, cuz he's dreamy.

Detail Man

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
Indiana USA
I have no dreams, vaping make my throat dry that all

Yeah, sometimes if I'm vaping a lot I'll get a dry mouth and/or throat. I haven't been remembering my dreams lately, which is good. I think my body has adjusted to the extra nicotine that I was getting from going from a cigarette size personal vaping system to a bigger system with much bigger tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread