Wire Rope for Wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I was at the local hardware store today and found some ss wire rope there. Went ahead a bought some and tried the cotton hybrid method using a thin layer from a cotton ball at the top of the wick and seems to work pretty good so far. Maybe to good as it seems to keep the cotton really wet causing a lot of popping but good vapor production. I really like that it was fast to make and wrap a coil and be done. So far the only drawback I'm having is it throws a lot of juice around the inside of the cap covering the coil/wick. My coil is 2.1 ohm and set at 4.0 volts in a AGA-T. I'll keep using it awhile and see what happens.

That's interesting, my ss mesh / wire rope hybrid throws out no juice at all. A pure mesh wick would build up a bit of burnt juice inside the cap, but it's almost perfectly dry after a full tank with the rope mesh wick. The cotton must really pull juice out well. Definitely makes me want to reduce the amount of mesh I'm using on my next rebuild.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Another quick update. Vaped another 1.2ish mLs over lunch, (I vape on my commute, lunch, and at home in the evening, typically). Tank is running pretty low on juice, but wicking kept up very well....typically with mesh when I got this low I'd have to tilt.

Bad news - juice discoloration seems on par with the mesh wick. I think this is due to the intermixing of juice with the burnt juice goo at the top of the tank....the hybrid rope wick doesn't seem to mitigate that.

Kabibbles

Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but for a really cheap somewhat mechanical mod you can go with an ego-t 18650 mod. Standard 5 button on/off, different colors, $20 price tag here: JoyeTech 18650 MOD

I dont think thats a true "mechanical" mod, its more of an unregulated mod, it still has wires and such. A mech mod (IMO) has no wires, and pressing the button just completes the circuit manually.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I want to check my hardware shop for this stuff, You say 7X7, but what do those numbers represent? Like what should I ask the merchant? "Sir, do you have any 7x7 stainless rope?" will he know what im talking about?

Not sure. 7x7 means 7 bundles of 7 strands of wire each, all twisted together. 7x19 means 7 bundles of 19 wires each. I've seen mention of crazy stuff, like (I think) 105x32, which is 105 bundles of 32 strands each, all in a 1/8" rope.

Here's a visualization of just a few setups:
3iojym8.jpg

I think with, say, a 1x49 rope, you could probably wrap directly on the rope and skip the mesh.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I cut it by first wrapping the place I wanted to cut with electrical tape, 3 or 4 wraps. Then used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut through the tape and wire at the same time. I wanted to make sure the ends didn't fray or anything....though now that I have played with it a bit more that was probably overkill...but it worked!

(Also got a Lavafire from DV as a 18650 mech mod....and I've got a Chi Chi coming from a CoOp at some point).

Kabibbles

Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
Not sure. 7x7 means 7 bundles of 7 strands of wire each, all twisted together. 7x19 means 7 bundles of 19 wires each. I've seen mention of crazy stuff, like (I think) 105x32, which is 105 bundles of 32 strands each, all in a 1/8" rope.

Here's a visualization of just a few setups:
3iojym8.jpg

I think with, say, a 1x49 rope, you could probably wrap directly on the rope and skip the mesh.

Thanks, that helps alot.

ardvaark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but for a really cheap somewhat mechanical mod you can go with an ego-t 18650 mod. Standard 5 button on/off, different colors, $20 price tag here: JoyeTech 18650 MOD

I'll have to speak out against this device. The V2 button version at least. Cheapest chinese quality as far as the innards are concerned. You only get to put the battery in backwards 2 or three times on accident before you fry the electronics in it. No reverse voltage protection. I didn't think I'd ever need that kind of protection because I'm so damn smart!:facepalm: I ended up installing a toggle switch in the button hole where the electronics once resided. Now it really is a mechanical mod. Works great now. I can put the battery in any damn way I'd like to now....lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Peter

Last edited:

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013