Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Wonder if it's tied in with some adware, cookie or bot in their computers...I don't see them either (mac, safari 7), and I'm not even an SM.
Maybe try clearing your cache or trash temp files if you see them?
Hmmmm, I do have my browsers set to delete all tracking,temp,etc. every time I close it, could be? But they don't bother me as I never click them anyway. Now popups, that I really hate, but don't get any on ECF. :)

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Wonder if it's tied in with some adware, cookie or bot in their computers...I don't see them either (mac, safari 7), and I'm not even an SM.
Maybe try clearing your cache or trash temp files if you see them?

100% Adware/Bot free here.

The 'ECF Registered Advertiser' link/explanation under the banner was just added today, so its not on my end.
ECFbanner.JPG

Reactions: Debadoo

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmmmm, I do have my browsers set to delete all tracking,temp,etc. every time I close it, could be? But they don't bother me as I never click them anyway. Now popups, that I really hate, but don't get any on ECF. :)

I have a pop-up blocker enabled in my settings. No other blockers.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just guessing :- ) from what he was pointing out. I have ad muncher and don't see any except the top one on the right. Some ad blockers have trouble with https addresses.

Interesting. DC2 had a problem recently with responding to CASAA's CTA and thought that his new ad blocker might be the culprit. I had no idea.

thank you for supporting HR 2058 | E-Cigarette Forum

Anyway, I don't use them, so I'm clueless.

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Interesting. DC2 had a problem recently with responding to CASAA's CTA and thought that his new ad blocker might be the culprit. I had no idea.

thank you for supporting HR 2058 | E-Cigarette Forum

Anyway, I don't use them, so I'm clueless.

I don't think the ad blocker had anything to do with that. The one "here" (for out of staters) is just a letter to be 'printed' and sent snail mail. The other form, I assumed could be used 'personal story' etc... by anyone since it lists all the states in the 'state' drop down. But I've seen this before - at Rand Paul and Ted Cruz' website where they are addressing their constituents mainly but non-residents' emails still go through - otherwise I wouldn't be getting their newsletters :lol: There's probably a 'priority' set up for staffers - handle constituents first.... etc. etc.

And... there is a problem (not sure if it's ecf) but I've seen some links that have something about cookies as the 'link phrasing' Dr. MA had a few. The links still work but it looks odd in the posts. Again, not sure where that is coming from - for one thing, it appears all links goes through ecf first and then redirected. Don't think it used to be like that (never saw the ecf url as they're loading where it then goes to the actual link), but don't know for sure.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I don't think the ad blocker had anything to do with that. The one "here" (for out of staters) is just a letter to be 'printed' and sent snail mail. The other form, I assumed could be used 'personal story' etc... by anyone since it lists all the states in the 'state' drop down. But I've seen this before - at Rand Paul and Ted Cruz' website where they are addressing their constituents mainly but non-residents' emails still go through - otherwise I wouldn't be getting their newsletters :lol: There's probably a 'priority' set up for staffers - handle constituents first.... etc. etc.

And... there is a problem (not sure if it's ecf) but I've seen some links that have something about cookies as the 'link phrasing' Dr. MA had a few. The links still work but it looks odd in the posts. Again, not sure where that is coming from - for one thing, it appears all links goes through ecf first and then redirected. Don't think it used to be like that (never saw the ecf url as they're loading where it then goes to the actual link), but don't know for sure.

Yeah, I saw the old software's work, on a few URLs... any URL I posted for litecigusa.net or ecblendflavors.com would never work right, I'd have to post the actual link with the spacing like broken links to junk science articles. What would happen is that it would put "http: // www. e-cigarette-forum.com / forum/" (without those spaces I had to put to keep it from just putting the page title there!) in front of the actual http for the link I was trying to post.

Andria

Reactions: Kent C

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Well - Using an "Ad Blocker" and "uBlock" on computer running XP Pro w/IE & Chrome . . . SO - Thankfully - NO Advertisements are getting though at all . . . However, it is another story with Tablet/"DumbPhone" - which is causing a lot of havoc, especially trying to open ECF and the "Watched Threads" . . .

SO without a doubt - I Will be searching for a decent App/s to get rid of each and everyone of these intrusive Ads/Advertisements - ASAP . . . AND - Although I understand there may be a NEED for ECF to go commercial and have to sell Advertisement space - NOT NICE ! ! ! that only those who cannot financially afford to be a "Supporting Member" are going to be forced to see them when they access ECF . . .

BTW: There are still many people who are "Supporting Members" of ECF by what they contribute and helping others too - Not just those who can afford to contribute financially . . .
Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
So weird. I'm on a dumb phone too (Sony Aino java phone with Opera Mini v8, when I'm not on my Macbook) and still no ads...no adblocking apps either. Just the box that says "Advertise Here." :confused: Sorry, Uncle. :(

What's odd to me is that on my dumb phone, the link menu is waaay at the bottom and the one and only accessible link is "Forums You Ignore." :laugh: I have to click on "..." to access the other links ("Watched Threads," "New Posts"). So I just bookmarked those pages instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, I saw the old software's work, on a few URLs... any URL I posted for litecigusa.net or ecblendflavors.com would never work right, I'd have to post the actual link with the spacing like broken links to junk science articles. What would happen is that it would put "http: // www. e-cigarette-forum.com / forum/" (without those spaces I had to put to keep it from just putting the page title there!) in front of the actual http for the link I was trying to post.

Andria

I don't know why the sticky on the 'junk articles' doesn't suggest using the 'unlink' function on reply. See:

ANTZ resort to blatant insults against vapers, calling them e-diots

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
We break it in the manner we do so they don't get any Google Juice from us. Otherwise, Google would just reparse the link.

I'll admit I don't know how Google Juice works but putting [ plain ]...[ / plain ] (as has been suggested) and leaving the sequence of characters the same, results in the same parsing as using 'unlink'.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
We break it in the manner we do so they don't get any Google Juice from us. Otherwise, Google would just reparse the link.

So unlinking doesn't work? We should still use the old method of breaking links? I'm trying to understand what that 'unlink' icon actually does. :confused:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The unlink icon prevents the link from parsing to a clickable link on ECF. This doesn't prevent, however, Google from reading it and then parsing it as a clickable link on their end. This is why breaking it in the manner we've always done is best.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The unlink icon prevents the link from parsing to a clickable link on ECF. This doesn't prevent, however, Google from reading it and then parsing it as a clickable link on their end. This is why breaking it in the manner we've always done is best.

Thanks. I understand now.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I've never been able to unbreak them though. I copy it and paste it into my browser, and take out all the spaces, but it never works, what else do I need to do if I want to view it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread