100 ml Nic juice handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaw101

Mar 28, 2010
FL
ecighome.com
I hope I'm not being redundant here with my question.

my first batch of nic juice was 24 mg, thinking it would be safe to start with and I would be mixing down to 12 mg or 6 mg. I'm about to run out and about to reorder. I'm considering going the 100 mg route and am wondering how some of you safely handle the stuff.

I hate drawing nic juice from the container with a syringe. Especially when the container becomes half full. In prep for mixing, do you pour a bit from the bottle into a cup or something to draw from? What is the most efficient way of getting the left over juice back into the bottle? What do you do?

I buy my nic by the liter and transfer some of that into a 120 ml bottle and freeze the rest. I draw directly from the 120 ml bottle with a syringe. If you are worried about spills, you can put the bottle of nic in an empty sink while you are drawing from it, assuming you have access to a sink with a relatively flat bottom. Alternatively, you can do everything inside a shallow plastic tub/bin.

If you have disposable gloves and eye protection on and you work in some kind of containment, there is nothing to be too afraid of, as long as you pay attention and take your time. Avoid distractions (don't mix until you are sure you can do so without interruptions), and make sure to clean up well after yourself, and you will be fine.

ETA: if the whole syringe thing just gives you the willies, you might consider mixing by weight.

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I store nic using 60ml glass bottles in locked freezer case. When running low, I remove and thaw 60ml bottle. Once thawed I immediately downmix into 500ml bottles at ~1mg of target strength e.g. 10mg, 12mg, etc. When mixing I draw from 500ml bottle, add flavors, and voila, juice.

Here's my storage regime. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks Boletus. I think my initial mistake was buying juice at 50/50 pg/VG. Drawing that into a syringe made for a mess. Do you buy yours in 100% pg? I'm thinking of doing that. Do you go the protective clothing route, or does the sink having running water nearby curtail that need for you?

I use only VG and water (and flavorings), and draw everything into the syringes with a 14 gauge blunt tipped needle. Any smaller size needle (higher gauge number) would make it close to impossible. It is a bit of a pain in the neck anyway, and there are ways around that, as some have already suggested here. Warming the VG up a little can help. Doing it with no needle on the syringe works if you have it in a shallow enough container. There are fatter needles out there too. I plan on getting one of these eventually:
12g Stainless Steel Blunt Tip Luer Lock Needles - Kidney Puncher

Last edited:
Regarding protective clothing, I use gloves and eye protection, but that is it. But I have a high nicotine tolerance (I vape 33 mg/ml), so a bit on my skin is not that big of a deal if I rinse it off. The risk to you depends to some degree on your tolerance. And I have heard that any amount in your eyes is extremely painful; I am willing to believe that without testing it.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
i store my nic in these... Amber Glass Packer 60cc w/ Black Cap
i use a blow dryer to shrink these to seal the lid so i know if they've been tampered with... Shrink Band SB60x25 (250 bundle)

end result looks like this...

GnwCzeI.jpg

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I buy the 100mg nic in pg because I feel like it is more economical. I always do my mixing in the kitchen beside the sink just in case, but I am not to worried about it and use no gloves or special equipment. The best thing I have purchased so far is a 50ml graduated cylinder that I use for mixing. With the large top, it is easy for me to poor directly from the bottle. If I need just a tad more or a tad less, I use a simple pipette to adjust. Good luck to you and happy mixing.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
It seems some people are very cautious. Maybe I'm not cautious enough. I only buy my nic in I believe its 500ml bottles. I'm not a mixing maching and its 100mg so it last's for awhile. Now I could see if you were buying a huge amount - like how I bought a gallon of VG - then sure you need a bottle to transfer it into.

I mix on my kitchen table - I put down a towel or paper towels. I always add the nic first. I open the lid with a paper towel or napkin in hand but I don't wear gloves. I then just use a 3ml pipette to get it out/measure. The most I make is a 30ml so I'm not drawing up that much nic - and I buy it in 100% VG base. As soon as I'm done I cap the bottle and put it away. I keep a cup of water near me that way the pipette goes right into the cup of water when I'm done with it. I don't use it for anything else. I think as long as you're careful and cautious you'll be fine. Don't rush and if for some reason you get some on your hands or even think you may have gotten some on your hands go wash them immediately.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
The most important thing is to be organized. Make sure you are doing your mixing in a well-lit area, with plenty of space so you're not crowded. Make sure your bottles are well-labeled, particularly your nic. Do it somewhere and sometime when you won't be distracted; if the phone rings, let them leave a message. Know what you're going to mix (exact recipes) before you start.

I leave the bottles and other stuff in a shallow metal baking sheet; that way any spills or drips don't get onto the wife's dining room table!
I do mix-down the 100mg in batches, but only 50/50 as I tend to vape higher-mg.

When I'm doing multiple flavors, I go one ingredient at a time. First the PG (in each bottle), then the VG, then the nic, last the flavors.

The best thing I did, however, was to buy a digital scale, and mix by weight. That way you can keep everything in dripper bottles; no syringes or pipettes necessary. Makes things so much simpler, no contamination issues, and you don't end up with lots of stuff to clean up when you're done!

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
I use PG based nic, and have a 120 mL bottle as someone else also suggested. I keep the bulk nic in the freezer and put maybe 40 mL in my 120 mL working bottle so I limit my spill potential. Also use the kitchen sink, wear glasses. I am pretty careful with it, I actually prefer to add the nic last, that minimizes any further spill potential. I don't wear gloves although i recommend it as best practice. But since I add it last as soon as I am done I always thoroughly wash my hands even if I feel I have not contaminated them.

Prediluting large volumes of nicotine probably lowers shelf life at least some so I leave it at 100 mg. When I was using syringes I also had a syringe that I put a big red nail polish dot on that was dedicated to nicotine. Now I am using adjustable micropipettes with the one time use plastic tips so that is no longer a concern.

Whatever method you use, stay focused, work carefully, minimize the volumes you have open at any time, use common sense, and you should be OK. In almost 2 years never had an incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread