Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    only if that someone uses unsuitable equipment for what hes doing,

Do you really think that the press (or your state legislature) will take note that "unsuitable equipment" was used? OR, will they just say that ALL e-cigs are unsafe as they have in the past. You would not believe how the Puresmoker (batteries from Radio Shack) incident in Florida was played up in the Utah legislature when we lost our rights to vape in public.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    Well . .there's subohm vaping and really, really subohm vaping. You're not going to explode your battery with a .7-.8ohm coil. And if you're going to say that nobody should vape subohms because of the danger of battery failure, then you might as well say nobody should rebuild any coil . .or maybe even that nobody should use a mechanical mod . .because a short can do the same thing as a .3 ohm coil on an undersized battery. Similarly, getting the fire button stuck down for long period without realizing . .can happen just as easily at over 1ohms.

tearose50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Tennessee :-)
    And most new vapors don't even know what a short is, I would imagine, much less how to handle one.

Best to learn that and quite a few other basics on batteries and electricity and multi-meter use before even thinking about doing an RBA or RDA. Nobody should rebuild any coil (yea, I said it) until they have a very good understanding of what it actually involves, not just which is the latest wick or wire configuration or super unobtanium plated device.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Bobas Daddy said:
    ...So where are we re: the best 18490 for ~1 ohm vaping?

What is the amp capacity of the 18490 AW IMR? Anyone know? Does anyone even care? Is that size battery safe to use for sub ohm realistically?

I don't know. Someone show me why it is.

coho72

ECF Veteran
    Mar 30, 2010
    Boston
    Do you really think that the press (or your state legislature) will take note that "unsuitable equipment" was used? OR, will they just say that ALL e-cigs are unsafe as they have in the past. You would not believe how the Puresmoker (batteries from Radio Shack) incident in Florida was played up in the Utah legislature when we lost our rights to vape in public.

You live in a state where enough vapers didn't come together to block legislation and a law got passed banning you from vaping in public. Conservatives without E cig education have tried that move unsuccessfully in numerous states because of the uniting of vapers taking defensive action to block such crap laws. It has nothing to do with "sub ohm" vaping or batteries blowing up. Instead of whining about useless issues , why don't you put your energy in to regaining your right to vape? Either that or move! Because , yeah your absolutely right you can say whatever you want with "freedom of speech" , but nobody gives a rats azz about your opinion! Calling people idiots for using sub ohm coils , yeah that should get the world to stop doing that. lol brilliant

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    You live in a state where enough vapers didn't come together to block legislation and a law got passed banning you from vaping in public. Conservatives without E cig education have tried that move unsuccessfully in numerous states because of the uniting of vapers taking defensive action to block such crap laws. It has nothing to do with "sub ohm" vaping or batteries blowing up. Instead of whining about useless issues , why don't you put your energy in to regaining your right to vape? Either that or move! Because , yeah your absolutely right you can say whatever you want with "freedom of speech" , but nobody gives a rats azz about your opinion! Calling people idiots for using sub ohm coils , yeah that should get the world to stop doing that. lol brilliant

I along with 100+ other vapors were at those hearings, you have no idea of what you speak!
    It might interest you to know that these studies came about as a direct result of our efforts so that you and others would have the information needed to defeat like legislation in the future. The owner of FlavourArt came to Utah to find out what information was not available to prove our case, and strategies were discussed on how to make such information available in the future.
    ClearStream by FlavourArt | ClearStream by FlavourArt

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

What is the amp capacity of the 18490 AW IMR? Anyone know? Does anyone even care? Is that size battery safe to use for sub ohm realistically?

I don't know. Someone show me why it is.

15C, meaning 15 x 1.1 AH Capacity = 16.5 Amps maximum continuous current

Basic Ohms Law

Voltage / Current = Resistance

4.2V / 16.5A = 0.255 Ω

In reality, you aren't going to get worst-case 4.2V across the coil at these current levels due to internal resistance and voltage drop of other components. Current at that resistance will be less than 16.5A

Typical 0.5Ω sub-ohm coil at 4.0 volts (still probably optimistic on the voltage)

4.0V^2 / 0.5Ω = 32 watts
    SQRT(32W / 0.5Ω) = 8 amps

See Micro Coils to increase Vapor, flavor & TH for interesting builds, many of them safely down around this level.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    15C, meaning 15 x 1.1 AH Capacity = 16.5 Amps maximum continuous current

Basic Ohms Law

Voltage / Current = Resistance

4.2V / 16.5A = 0.255 Ω

In reality, you aren't going to get worst-case 4.2V across the coil at these current levels due to internal resistance and voltage drop of other components. Current at that resistance will be less than 16.5A

Typical 0.5Ω sub-ohm coil at 4.0 volts (still probably optimistic on the voltage)

4.0V^2 / 0.5Ω = 32 watts
    SQRT(32W / 0.5Ω) = 8 amps

See Micro Coils to increase Vapor, flavor & TH for interesting builds, many of them safely down around this level.

IMR18490 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
    Capacity : 1100mAH
    Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
    Cycle Life : > 500 cycles
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 15C
    Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius

Where are you guys getting the 15 C data from? I see 8 C here which is 8.8 A.

ETA: And 8 C here.

And 15 C here.

And 8 C here.

And it seems I'm not the only one confused over this one. Thread on UKV about the same issue.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    OK, so there seems to be data confirming both numbers. How do we put this to rest?

ETA:

OK, so I did some more digging, trying to find something that was closer to AW himself making the claim and found nothing. I did come across this though: Wonderlight is a accessories supplier that sells through ECF here. Go to the second post titled 'Specs Here' and you will find the following:

'IMR18490 Specifications :
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 8C
    Operating Discharge Temperature : -10 - 60 Degree Celsius'

So, another vote for the 8 C limit. I have no dog in this, but would really like to know what the limit is for these batts. If anyone has anything that could be taken as more factual, please post it :thumb:. Anyone know how to get in touch with AW?

Last edited:

DiegoVol

Verified Member
    May 15, 2013
    Oceanside CA
    My info supposedly comes from Andy Wan Himself. here is some more info on the other batteries.

IMR16340 Specifications :

Capacity : 550mAH
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A )
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 4A

IMR14500 Specifications :

Capacity : 600mAH
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A )
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 4A
    Size : 14.07mm ( diameter ) x 49.25mm ( height ) +/- .1mm

IMR18350 Specifications :

Capacity : 700mAH
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A )
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 6A
    Dimensions : 18.15 x 34.82 ( +/-0.05)mm

IMR18650-1600 Specifications :

Capacity : 1600mAH
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 4.5A )

IMR18650 -2000 Specifications :

Capacity : 2000mAH
    Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A )
    Max. continuous discharge rate : 10A

This comes from another Vapor Forum. Since I didn't hear it from Andy Wan personally we can say this is speculation as well I guess.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I finally found CPF (Candle Power Forum I believe). The post here form 'AW, Authorised Dealer' is I believe from AW. Go down a bit into that post and you will find the following:

So I'm reasonably sure the data here is correct, but still not 100%. There have been too many instances of 8 C to make me cool with telling anyone that 15 C is OK. If I was going to use one of these cells in my sub-ohm setup I would make an account with CPF and ask the question. I might also test it just to be really sure.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I thought that AW gave Two "C" Ratings for their Batteries.

Continuous and Burst Discharge.

Continuous being the Lower of the Two.

Yup, but we've been looking at the stated continuous here, the lower one. Could be the issue, but not sure. AW does not give burst data that I've seen anywhere either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread