18650 batt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

openbeerz

Sep 7, 2009
Hey guys, dont know if this is the right spot to post this. I searched the forum and the internet I just got a question in how long is too long to keep using the same batteries. I been mtl vaping for a while now and I been rotating the same 18650s for like 3 years. I rewrap them and they work great I probably dont notice if they are showing there age being that I vape at 12-15 watts. I guess I'm wondering if it's safe or should I just recycle themand grab some new ones. Thanks for any help

openbeerz

Sep 7, 2009
Hey guys, i hope I didnt ask this already in the past i know i think about it all the time. I dont know if this is the right spot to post this. I searched the forum and the internet I just got a question in how long is too long to keep using the same batteries. I been mtl vaping for a while now and I been rotating the same 18650s for like 3 plus years. I rewrap them and they work great I probably dont notice if they are showing there age being that I vape at 12-15 watts. I guess I'm wondering if it's safe or should I just recycle themand grab some new ones. Thanks for any help

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
As long as they still perform well, there is no reason to replace them just because they're three years old.

I'm using still using some VTC5 cells that I got in 2014.

Electric car manufacturers generally provide (at least) 8 year warranties on their batteries.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I'd say you're good to go as long as the wraps and insulators are all in good condition still. I have 18650s that are around 5 years old and still work perfectly fine and hold pretty close to their listed capacity.

It helps, I would think, that at 12-15 watts, you're likely not stressing the batteries a great deal. That's been my line of thinking, anyway, since I vape MTL in right around that same range.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
The way I determine if a battery needs replacing is simple. I'm not carrying a spare to swap out in the middle of the day, if it won't last at least 12 hours it has to go. Now you can change your Ω or wattage to extend the daily charge charge cycle, but still this is a sigh of aging battery. I have switched to 20700s, but both battery sizes seem to last me about 18 months swapping out 3 batteries in rotation.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
As others have said, it is about capacity. A new 18650 would last me for almost 2 days. After 18 months, it can't go 4 hours. Does it work? Yes, but it is time to retire it.

Go buy a new set of batteries (of course from a trusted vendor) and you will smile, and wonder why you bothered with old low capacity stuff.

Reactions: dwcraig1

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have batteries that are years old that I use and they are fine except for 2 things...

1. They do not hold a charge as well as they used to.
    2. The voltage sag on them is atrocious.

Regarding #1: This doesn't bother me much, especially when I'm at home. When not at home, it still doesn't bother me that much as I don't mind carrying a few batts with me when I'm away from home.

Regarding #2: This can bother me more than #1. First off, they suck in a mech mod. But secondly, certain regulated mods I have seem to perform terribly when the voltage sag is that bad <cough>Sigelei</cough>. So I don't use those batts in those mods or in a mech.

I'm not telling you what you should do, this is just what I do. I don;t believe in throwing useful things away.

No if they are exhibiting strange behavior, well, that's a different story.

Reactions: dwcraig1

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I use some of my older cells in 5W LED flashlights around the house. They get light use and the cells still perform well, even though they don't last quite as long in a vape mod.

FWIW, I counted the 18650's, 26650's and 2x700's in my battery boxes on the counter. There's 23 in that bunch. I switch brands (in matched pairs for dual battery mods) and rotate to share the load. I have some Sony VTC6's that have been heavily rotated and the oldest of those are from mid 2018 and still vaporizing juice well. All are well under 100 milliohms, the newest under 50.

Longevity is more about discharge/recharge cycles than anything else.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread