2 battery setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Actually, the parallel cells would have a lower effective cell resistance, and waste a fraction less power.
The dual, single wired cells with a selector switch and a fire switch would add more series circuit resistance and also wast a little power. Dual fire switches, left and right would also work.

One advantage of your idea is it's like having a back up battery built in. One gets weak, switch to the back up.

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
Actually, the parallel cells would have a lower effective cell resistance, and waste a fraction less power.
The dual, single wired cells with a selector switch and a fire switch would add more series circuit resistance and also wast a little power. Dual fire switches, left and right would also work.

One advantage of your idea is it's like having a back up battery built in. One gets weak, switch to the back up.

Would you say that added circuit resistance that selector switch would bring could be noticeable in everyday use?

I thought of making a simple PV with a switch, to put some older/weaker batteries into a good use. I'm always worried when it comes to parallel setup, and I cannot really figure out why would it be (strictly) better than simply having a switch. And yes, it would be like having a built in backup battery. I was also thinking of putting a display that would measure voltage of currently active battery.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
The voltmeter is a good idea. If one of the cheap 1S-6S meters is connected at the atty connector it only comes on when you hit the fire button. Good switches don't waste much power. A center off 3 position switch would also give a master off.

So many options :)

The best thing to do with older/weaker cells is to recycle them.

The "Dual Single" could be used to compare the loaded, under fire voltage of two different good cells. Fire A, read voltage, fire B read voltage.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Would you say that added circuit resistance that selector switch would bring could be noticeable in everyday use?

I thought of making a simple PV with a switch, to put some older/weaker batteries into a good use. I'm always worried when it comes to parallel setup, and I cannot really figure out why would it be (strictly) better than simply having a switch. And yes, it would be like having a built in backup battery. I was also thinking of putting a display that would measure voltage of currently active battery.
You will get much better performance that way, higher initial loaded/vaping volts (more mAh translates to less voltage sag) and your vaping voltage will stay higher longer. Just run them in parallel and forget about switching between the two.

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
You will get much better performance that way, higher initial loaded/vaping volts (more mAh translates to less voltage sag) and your vaping voltage will stay higher longer. Just run them in parallel and forget about switching between the two.

Now that's a new piece of information! :)
How about when it comes to connecting parallel setup to a voltage booster of some sort? Or a regulator that would at least keep the voltage on 3,6-3,7V? Any inherited dangers with that, apart from making sure that batteries are the same?
Did someone here do that already, so I can check it out how someone else did it? I cannot really find anything through the forum search.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Parallel does have it's advantages.
A little stronger vape, but the A/B idea has merit.
I've never done it but juice-aholics might like it for comparing flavors.

Parallel cells and parallel cartos.
Now that's where it's at :)

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I failed to notice that the OP is talking about a single 510 connection set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread