Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Plume Veil vs 454 BigBlock vs Ponuts!

Got some vape mail in today and spent the afternoon cleaning and building my new attys.

(Before anyone complains, sorry guys no pix, most of you know what these look like anyways)

A little background:
I primarily was shopping for a Pontus, as I wanted something to take my Kayfuns place as an all around convenience and driving use atty. Found one in stock with a company that had the plume veil and 454 clones in stock so I decided, why not?

I go for flavor above all else. Clouds are nice, but not as important to me as flavor or even ease of use. My measuring stick and all around fav atty is the Magma by far.

All three were used with my daily driver IPV with my own juice that is 80% VG

First up, the Pontus.
Very well made over all. The deck is pretty much a TOBH deck, which means I hate it because of those accursed AFC tabs. I just moved and dont have access to tools but as soon as I do I am taking those stupid things off.
Overall it is what I expected, flavor and vapor production are good but not great, comparable to to a stock TOBH, if not a bit cooler of a vape. The dripping tank portion seems to do what it is intended to, and provided it does not leak and continues to work as intended the Pontus will likely enter my rotation for when conventional dripping just isnt ideal.

And now the Plume Veil.
Great build deck. I went with 26g dual micros at .5ohms and they were a snap to install. Flavor is definitely up there as is vapor production (for a stock RDA anyways).
Cranked it up to 50w, and it handled it like a champ and probably could have kept pouring on the voltage without issue.

Last but not least, the 454.
I set her up with dual micros same as the plume veil, but installed them vertically instead. Performance wise over all I would say it is very comparable to the Plume Veil. The biggest X factor being the unique drip tip that comes with the 454. I found the drip tip to do well for flavor, but if you are a cloud guy it is a little restrictive compared to common wide bore drip tips. The build deck is different to say the least, not the worst thing to build on but not as easy as the plume veil.

Conclusions:

The Pontus looks very promising provided you arent a massive cloud or flavor chaser that isnt willing to compromise performance for practicality. It is a little big and bulky but nothing out of the ordinary if you have ever carried around a full size kayfun.

Performance wise I could probably flip a coin between the plume veil and 454 when it comes to flavor. The Plume Veil seems to have a slight edge in vapor production but not enough so to matter to me. The Plum Veil also wins on style points and ease of build.

The 454 wins for practicality by having a considerably deeper well than the plume veil (seems to hold about as much as a Magma).
It also seems you have more build options with the 454 because its AFC offers more options.

The Plume Veil probably wont leave home much because I am not a fan of dripping constantly on the go.

I can see the 454 making some public appearances but the Magma is still my favorite.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Thanks for the write-up.

Like you, I prefer my 454 BB over my PV. Especially, when you factor in the huge price difference between the 2 units.

The Magma is my go to RDA for flavor, now. It was a toss up between the said and the Veritas, until I nailed my Magma's 2x coil sweet spot for myself.

The Pontus looks great. I'm holding out for the Big Dripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread