3 weeks and got the bug so lets start shopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo The Red

Jun 2, 2014
London
Hi All,
Im a complete newbie so please play nicely!!
Gave up the cigs 3 weeks ago after 20+ yrs with the help of a JT eCom, but like all big kids I like toys and so started to read a bit more about vaping in general.
So...Tonight I have ordered a Provari mini (Black) and a IBTanked halfling (Red end caps, and tip) with pre drilled 2 hole 3.2 Ohm single coil atomizers.

Is this going to work well ? Any advice on whether Ive ordered correct Ohm Atomizer's etc, are more holes required ? Any other guidance as to what settings I should start with when it all arrives ?

Thanks in advance...

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I'd advise getting the 18650 extention tube. When you get into "mods" like you're doing, keep in mind the battery sizes. First, as a general rule of thumb, the bigger the battery, the longer you can vape with. The most popular sizes are either 18350, 18650, and 26650. The most popular size is the 18650 because it's a good size and holds a lot of Milliamp hours. Also, with that size, there is the widest variety of options to choose from. This is the option I recommend you go. The 18350 is the next recommended size, but that is popular not because of how much it holds, but because of how small it is. People go 18350 more for the size than anything else, but with that size, you'll be swapping for fresh batteries more often. The more recent addition is the 26650. It's as tall as the 18650, but it's bigger round. People who use these are more for capacity than anything else. I don't think your provari has an option for that.

Now,w hy the Provari chose 18500, I have no idea. It is between the 18650 and 18350 size wise. You'll be harder pressed to find a battery of that size, but they do exist. I personally think Provari was going for a smaller than your average mod size, yet wanted more capacity from the battery that a 18350 had.

If you have already ordered, I'd suggest getting the 18650 extention. My next suggestion would be to go for a good battery to go with the Provari. First, find one that offers a high amp limit. Even though your provari won't ever come close to the amp limit of most batteries, it's good advice to get one with at least a 10 amp limit at a minimum. 30 amp is recommended, but the provari will never draw more than 5 amps from the battery, but you always want to leave some comfort room. If you don't know what the amp limit is, or if it's generic, then assume it's less than 10 amp. Avoid anything with "fire" (Aka Fandyfire, Uniquefire, Trustfire, etc) in the name.. none of them are high amp limits.

Next, for battery, look for the highest Milliamp rating (AKA MaH). The higher the Miliamp rating, the longer the battery will last.
Lastly, look for the type of connector on the positive end. Usually it's either button top or flat top. I don't know what the Provari prefers, but some mods can be picky about that.

After the battery, look into getting a good battery charger. I recommend getting an Intellicore I2 or i4 charger. That's just my recommendation, but there are a few other good chargers out there.

And for recommendations, The IBTanked is a carto tank setup. I'm not a carto tank fan myself, but they do have their merits. If you're willing to experiment, look into getting a protank or an Aerotank. Those taste phenomenal. They also have a few clones out there if you're wanting to just test the concept.

Anyways, those are my thoughts... not too rough, just a few recommendations to get you started.

Double Helix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Houston, TX
Anyways, those are my thoughts... not too rough, just a few recommendations to get you started.

I agree with everything you've said except the batteries. It's a Provari not a mech, no need to get complicated :p . Just stick with the batteries that Provape recommends, the AW's. I believe the Provari is only covered under the warranty if you use the AW's. I'm having trouble locating that on their website, but I'm fairly sure I read it there.

I have an IBTanked carto tank (my first carto tank), and I like it a lot so far.

If you haven't yet, give this blog by Baditude a read. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

It has a lot of great information, and it helped me a lot. However, I tend to prime my cartos using the condom method. He has a few others that are very informative as well.

I haven't used a provari, but a lot of people love them, so I'm sure you can't go wrong there. You should be fine with the resistance, just start your voltage around 3.6 or so, and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot with the juice you are using.

Check out this chart to give you a better idea of where you might want to be:

http://www.vaporsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/power-vaping-chart-lg.jpg

Good luck, and congrats on extending your life!

Bryand7

Jun 4, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
I would go 2, but that's me. 3.2 ohms at 4.2 volts = 5.51 watts, but 2 ohms at only 3.4 volts = 5.78 watts. 2 ohms would give you bigger puffs at the same voltage as 3.2. But, possibly more risk of dry hits. With high ohms in a tank (3.2 for example), I always have trouble with gurgle. Because its not vaping the liquid quickly enough. But, those 3.2 ohm coils will work great! You'll just have to crank em up a little (or a lot) more than a low ohm one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I'm a provari user, had mine for well over a year now and love it. Ideally I just try to get coils in the 1-5 - 1.8 range and vape around 3.7v.

1.5 ohms at 3.7v = 9.12667w / 2.46667 amps
1.8 ohms at 3.7v = 7.60556w / 2.05556 amps

I gave 1.5 and 1.8 ohms as an example because their redily available inside pre-built coil products, I build my own coils in a dripper but commercially available products readily make 1.5 and 1.8 ohm colis.

PS: Just saw you said you drip if you're building coils especially on the provari you can use these measurements as a staple, the Provari is capable of making a decent device for a dripper as long as you adhere to it's 3.0amp rule anything over that you'll start seeing errors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread