306 Troubles.. How do I use this thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure this 306 atomizer out. I normally use all 510 attys. I'll try to keep this short.
When I use this 306 atty, I drip 3-4 drips and I give it a very light blow or two...
(just soft enough to get the drips down)
Then I let it sit for 1-2 minutes so that the juice gets settled in there.
But when I take a hit (on an eGo battery even) it seems like its getting too much power and it burns my throat.
Its not a nicotine burn, I'm using 11mg juice in it.
(i've tried different brands to see if that was the problem, nope!)
It seems like this 306 atomizer was designed to only be able to withstand short duration drags?
Also seems to really eat up my juice fast, but I'm afraid of over dripping...
With my 510 attys all I needed was 2-3 drops of juice and I'd be good for 5 puffs, not this thing.
This 306 atty seems to need more juice, otherwise I get a burnt taste..
And I'm really confused about this? More or Less??

Ugh. I almost feel like I made a bad decision buying this. I should of just stuck with my 510 stuff.
I'm a cartomizer guy so that is all the more reason I'm finding this out of my comfort zone.
Was the 306 really designed for shorter drags or what? How much am I suppose to drip after I get that hot vapor, or burnt vapor? My throat is killing me every morning since I've been using it at night.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Idk I was getting gurgles and burnt taste.. Usually when I get burnt taste I need more liquid lol. I would get gurgles when I put in more liquid, but it freed up the tight draw and gave me more vapor... Then it leaked all over my PV. What the heck? Idk, should I be taking less long drags with this thing or what?

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
yeah I mean I'm not a complete n00b to attys.. I've used 510s and I've debridged them and taken them apart.. But this 306 is a tough one. Its as if it was a clogged carto.. Except it came that way out of the box! I'm pretty disappointed with its performance. This 306 is different from the attys that I was told were 306's here, that I got from a booth in the mall. The 306 attys I got from a booth in the mall were actually a fair bit skinnier than 510s and this 306.. and the steel wick was recessed into the metal tube. It came with an orange plastic cover around it. This 306 came from madvapes and the steel wick actually protrudes out of the short tube.

Another thing I don't like about this thing is how it sounds like its still firing after I take my finger off my PV's firing button. I take my mouth off of it and it sizzles for a good 4-5 seconds.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Yup Ocelot, thats the 306 I have now. Mine has a green, hard plastic drip tip that came fastened to it. Here, let me write to you all exactly whats going on, in real time, as I try to figure it out in front of you all.

Here goes nothing:

1.) The thing burns the back of my throat and continues to make a sizzling noise for 3 seconds after I'm done dragging. So naturally, if its burning the back of my throat, I figure I need to add a little more juice.. Let me do that now...

2.) Still burning my throat and sizzling for 3 seconds after I'm done dragging. Good flavor, but my throat is hurting. Also, the drag is still too tight for my liking. I mean, it feels like I'm dragging off of a straw stuck into a milk shake. Let me add some juice.. lol

3.) I added 3-4 drops of juice. Now its starting to pool where the end of the atomizer's cylinder meets the drip tip. Its now also gurgling for a moment when I first take my drag. When I let off, I can see that juice comes up out of the atomizer and sits where it was pooling, then it sinks back in. Its really burning the back of my throat. Weird. Idk if these just burn hotter than 510 attys or what?

4.) I'm adding MOAR juice! I want that burning to go away! I don't care if it gurgles!

5.) OK, now theres enough juice in this thing that I can actually move my PV side to side and see the juice rock back and forth in the drip tip lol. I took a light drag, and it isn't burning my throat anymore.. But I wonder if my PV's battery connection is soaked? lol

6.) OUCH! holy ....! I just took a big drag like I would off a 510 and it feels like I swallowed a lit match. JEEZ! I guess these 306 attys are meant to have a BUNCH of juice sitting in them and light drags? Is that it?

OK so does anyone else agree with #6 when it comes to 306 atomizers?
Son of a gun, do I have a nicotine buzz/headache right now lol.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
They do burn hot. When I first got mine I was very, very new to vaping (it was more advanced than I was) and it kind of freaked me out being so short and close to the coil. One thing I found really helpful was a Cannon drip tip from Cherry Vape.

This is going to seem too simplistic, since I know you know how to drip, but I read this guy's tips and slowly did the steps exactly as he said (not skipping ahead because I knew what was coming) and I swear the 306 works great now:

1) Blow out atty in the direction of airflow

2. Apply enough liquid ( about 5 drops) until a slight gurgle is heard when you draw (cold draw / no power ) if no gurgle is heard add 1-2 more drops

3. Vape some short drags to be sure there is enough liquid and to test different draw speeds. Remember the pump works on vacuum, slow / soft drags are not going to create enough vacuum.

4. If you get a bad taste on first drag, add 1-3 drops try again.

5. A bad taste or light flavor/vaper from a drag means the atomizer is ready for 2-3 more drops, depending on liquid used. 2-3 for all VG. 3-4 for VG PG.

6. Continue to vape and top off with juice until flavor starts to intensify (you will know) atomizer will "hiss" after a drag when its ready to top off, or top off when you get poor flavor.

7. When you feel you "know" your atomizer go ahead and vape hard. Please be aware when your atomier is running dry, Enjoy!!!

ETA: I cut & pasted the tips - I didn't write them, especially #7 ;)

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I don't know what to say, but I would go through "Atty 101" and see if that helps. Start all over:

When you go it did you blow it out to remove any primer? If not, that could be problem one.

By now there is no point in beating a dead horse. Whether you blew the primer out or not, it's time to clean it, start over, and see if cleaning clears the problems. The sizzling you mention - and the harshness - tells me the coil is getting very hot, but it doesn't seem to be wicking liquid to the coil properly.

Since this is pretty new I would just give it a treatment in simmering water. About 5 minutes with some "dipping" of the atty in and out of the water with the assist of forceps. After that, blow out the excess water, let it dry, and try it again. When you drip it give it plenty of time to absorb liquid after cleaning.

If that doesn't do it there is the possibility that you just got a stuffed atty. I think I only ran across this problem once with a 510 that always ran harsh and way too hot for a SR atty. It metered only 2.1 ohms, but it seemed to be burning waayy too hot and kept going harsh. That sucker needed dripping every two hits or it went harsh. (And it died a very premature death too.) It happens...

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Thanks guys. I'm guessing my problem was that I wasn't allowing juice to wick properly, like The Ocelot's post pointed to. Seems like my problem was I didn't know my atomizer lol. I know 510 atomizers (not well, since I use cartos and haven't had a 510 atty in over a year) but yeah, I guess I didn't really know how to use a 306 at all. It seems they need a lot more juice to run well compared to a 510.

I wasn't sure if the hissing was normal or if it still needed more juice, now I know it needs more. What I'm worried about now is that when following The Ocelot's instructions I'm hoping I won't drip and end up leaking into my PV's 510 battery connection. I don't think I will because I think I'm getting the hang of it already and after reading his post, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

As for blowing the primer out, I used to do that, but not at all these days. Rickajho, cartos don't come with primer fluid, do they? I've blown out a dry carto from the mouth side and never gotten any factory fluid. I'm guessing its an atomizer thing? I'll have to try it next time I order an atty. hopefully this one will last me a while now that I'm getting the hang of it.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
yeah, they just run hotter and require more liquid than a 510 atty it seems. cool. i'm really liking it now haha. it does gurgle but its giving me a great flavor and throat hit with the warmer vapor. awesome. beginning to like this damn thing ;)

EDIT- Oh, nope, no.. it seems i'm still having some trouble. Had it working well for a bit, but it seems like I over dripped and now its burning my throat again.. It seems like if it A. had too LITTLE juice, it burns and hisses. and B. If it has too MUCH juice, it burns and hisses. It needs to have the right amount to not burn or hiss. weird.

EDIT2- ok so I tried the "pump" thing.. lol. I tried getting the juice into the whole system of the atomizer or whatever by dry dragging anddddd.. Idk. I mean, it works with light drags but forget about long drags. I took it out to see the damage (leaked juice into my 510 battery connection in the PV) and sure enough it was wet. all the way down into the eGo well on my telescoping mod is a little droplet of juice too. This thing leaks and it looks good. I took it out to prevent further leaking into my PV and set it on its side on my bed. Picked it up and my bed has a little spot of juice. Hmmm..

I'm starting to think these 306's are just too temperamental for me.

EDIT3- And does this thing get HOT. it really does. Faster than 510s and all around hotter.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
yeah, they just run hotter and require more liquid than a 510 atty it seems. cool. i'm really liking it now haha. it does gurgle but its giving me a great flavor and throat hit with the warmer vapor. awesome. beginning to like this damn thing ;)

EDIT- Oh, nope, no.. it seems i'm still having some trouble. Had it working well for a bit, but it seems like I over dripped and now its burning my throat again.. It seems like if it A. had too LITTLE juice, it burns and hisses. and B. If it has too MUCH juice, it burns and hisses. It needs to have the right amount to not burn or hiss. weird.

That's about it ;) But when it works, it works great!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Yeah, the primer is only a part of manufacturing in attys - not cartos.

Do you have a meter? I re-read above and the link referenced said this was a LR atty. It could just be the resistance is running even lower than it should, which would make it run too hot even on a basic eGo type battery.

In general you really do need a meter to keep an eye on what's going on with low resistance stuff. LR devices with age and use can take a very short hop from "low resistance" to "practically shorted" and that's never a good thing for your batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread