308 Update!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
As mentioned in this thread, The cat is out of the bag. I have had some serious material acquisition issues. As a supplier it is my responsibility to nip shortfalls in the bud as soon as they are known, which was indeed carried out.

I placed an order for nylon amongst other things on the 22 Mar 11. I received an e-mail stating that all material was in stock with the exception of 1 item, but that item was scheduled to arrive on the 24th from their supplier. I was informed that if I was in a rush that I could receive the partial order and that they would ship the remaining item when it came in. To do so in this way, would levy two shipping and custom charges. I explained there was no rush at this time, and considering they had a guaranteed delivery on the missing item, I wanted to have the order shipped whole. The missing item was indeed shipped to them and arrived as promised on the 25th. I expected my order to arrive the week of the 27th...

Low and behold by the 12th of Apr I contacted the company and they looked into it for me. I was informed that my order was crossing the border as we speak. Cool! At least we are getting somewhere. This was around 10am ADT. I received the tracking info on my order and low and behold the order was received by UPS at 7:30pm that evening. The previous tracking info I had received was wrt the missing item.

Long story short - Yes all items were in stock with the exception of a particular size of Delrin (the missing item). What I did not know at the time was, that although all the items on the order were in stock, they were located at different warehouses across the US. Normally, the warehouses would ship directly to the customer. Since I reside outside the continental US, all items had to be shipped to the vendor first, and then shipped from there, which makes absolute sense. OTOH if I would have known this going in, I would have canceled the order and source my nylon elsewhere.

What makes me want to rant here is that it cost me $106 for shipping and duty on a $96 order. What happened to free trade? Needless to say they will not be seeing me patronize their establishment again, even though they offered me 10% coupon off my next order???

I would like to thank everyone for your patience and understanding. Although I planned ahead of time, sometimes things are unavoidable as in this case. All parts of the unit are complete but cannot be progressed further until reception of this critical order. One tiny little insulator has halted production LOL. Once fabricated, all that remains is the machining of the assembled unit to its final size and buffing.

Switcher,

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
I have the same experience with UPS. They are the only carrier to charge all these "brokerage" fees, such a sham. You can clear the package yourself if you're willing to jump through a few hoops, though you have to call UPS and inform them, or they will use their own brokers.

Also, iirc, UPS tried to sue the federal government to stop subsidizing brokerage for canadapost as it's unfair to UPS - loooool - it failed. I've gone so far as to write them a check for the "brokerage" so they release the goods, then stop payment. A few letters ignored and all is forgotten.

Sorry for your trouble buddy, hopefully all is back on track asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread