Status
Not open for further replies.

_nderscore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
NYC
Hi Modders -

After seeing the video of the dna 20 watt board that evolv is putting out in the near future, I suddenly got a strong urge to try my hand at building a box mod of my own. I am wondering what the feasibility is of designing a custom box and having it 3d printed by a service such as i.materialise.com or shapeways.

As long as all my measurements are correct, would there be any problem with pulling this off? Has it been done before? Would certain materials be better suited - or some materials unsafe?

Any guidance would be awesome. I don't plan on starting this project any time soon, but I'm already getting excited in my pre-planning stage and don't want to get carried away with an idea that ultimately won't work out. I guess I should try to build a box mod from some materials I have on-hand first (altoids tin maybe?), just to get a feel for how easily it can be accomplished, but I think that as long as I put in the proper planning, I could accomplish it on my first try.

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Here are a few random thoughts about rapid prototyping;

-You need to have good 3-D modeling skills to get something to one of these services.

-There can be part distortion, so be sure your design has clearances for anything that has to go inside.

-A fairly new 3D printing service, and free modeling software is from Autodesk. Autodesk 123D - Free 3D Modeling Software, 3D Models, DIY Projects, Personal Fabrication Tools

-A lot of the makerbot type kits take a lot of tweaking to get it assembled working right. Though I recall reading of some other kits that were much easier to assemble. They were in the $800 price range, as I vaguely recall.

-A new photo-polymer machine was recently announced on Kickstarter, costing around $2,500 in pre-order. This is an order of magnitude lower than what has been available in the past.

-A year or so ago, I ran into someone with a makerbot. They were looking for useful stuff to make! I.e. the price of the material was all they expected. So, if you can find a hobbyist with one of these machines, or other one of the maker-spaces. You might go to one of the forums and just see if you can find someone local, and make a deal.

Joe Dunfee

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Why not buy a nice case and build a holder for the dna20 chip. You could make it to support the chip then drill holes for all of the contacts and find screws to fit. Instead of soldering the chip down you could screw all the wires down.

I have been contemplating doing both....3D printing and screws and screw posts, you will want to look for 1mm screws/posts and will want to use a DNA that hasn't been soldered.

trevor148

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2011
Thomasville, GA
Can the screen go on either side of the chip? I've been learning how to use a 3d modeling tool so I could try to make the holder for the dna 20 I mentioned above. to practice I made a 3d model of the dna chip. I wanted to finish my model but I need to know if the screen can go on both sides.

Here is what I go so far dna 20 3d model

You cant see it in the picture on there but I did the back side as well

DNA20.jpg

Last edited:

Sovran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
State side
Can the screen go on either side of the chip? I've been learning how to use a 3d modeling tool so I could try to make the holder for the dna 20 I mentioned above. to practice I made a 3d model of the dna chip. I wanted to finish my model but I need to know if the screen can go on both sides.

Here is what I go so far dna 20 3d model

You cant see it in the picture on there but I did the back side as well

View attachment 179245
no the screen only goes to one side. You can however flip the direction it displays the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread